Whitby has the itches

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Whitby has the itches

Post by reddog »

I put a dose of Parastar flea & tick med on Whitby over a week ago when I came home from work in the afternoon. I went to bed about 9:30 and she came upstairs about 11:00, which she normally doesn't do. She usually sleep onthe first floor inthe entry because she thinks she is a guard dog. She was panting and kept wandering in and out of the rooms and going into the bathroom for a drink of water. Now and then she'd lie down for a little bit but it seemed she couldn't get comfortable. We went outside a couple of times, which we haven't done that late at night since I've had her. I came to the conclusion that she must be having an allergic reaction to the Parastar - so at 2:30 A.M. I'm sitting onthe kitchen floor with her with a dishpan of warm water, dawn dish soap and a wash clotch giving her a "sponge bath" where I had applied the med.

I called the vet the next day and they confirmed my suspicion. I went back to the vet and bought some Vectra 3D. i put it on her on Friday and she seems to be doing OK. Although, over the weekend she started scratching and licking her coat. I hope this is because she is starting to blow her coat. what else could be causing this?

Poo Whitby, she really seems to have a case of the itches. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can give her or do to help relieve the itching?

Thank You from Whitby and me
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Whitby has the itches

Post by TyChowgirl »

Have you tried Benadryl? Ty has the itches too, but it's more due to seasonal allergies than allergic reaction to something. He weighs about 75 lbs so he gets 3 three times a day for now...until whatever it is knocks it off. I've been buying the store brand because it's cheaper since we go through so much. Do you give her fish oil? That can help with skin irritation too. Ty is currently on Welactin which is a fish oil supplement geared more towards dogs with a higher percentage than what people get. Regular fish oil could help too...Hope she feels better!
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Hi Tychowgirl

Thank you for your info.
Question: RE: Benadryl. Does it come in tablet form or just liquid? How much should I give Whitby, she weighs about 56#, and how often?
Question: RE: Welactin. Where do you find it? Would Petco carry it? Do you give it to Ty on a daily basis or just when the itches kick in?

Do you give Ty both or just one or the other?
Boy! I guess I'm a question box today.

Again, Thank You for your help.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

According to my vet, they need a much higher dose than humans...she told me 2 or 3 tabs 3 times a day for Lily if I go that route.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

A quick check of my "dog" folder supplied this information:
Benadryl for Dogs http://benadrylfordogs.org/

Benadryl for dogs: the uses, safety, recommended dosage, how to administer, side effects, and more. Our website provides complete information about Diphenhydramine/Benadryl for dogs. Please note: we are not vets, and the information on this site is provided for educational reasons.

Benadryl (a.k.a. Diphenhydramine) is an Over the Counter (OTC) antihistamine, used for treating allergic reactions in people, as well as certain animals. Diphenhydramine was first invented in 1943; it received approval by the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) in 1946. You probably have used it yourself; however, did you know it can also help your best friend? The majority of veterinarians allow the use of Diphenhydramine in dogs as well as cats; this medicine is used quite frequently in canines.

Reasons for using Benadryl for Dogs:

* Insect/flea bites.
* Skin irritation and/or itching.
* Anxiety and Insomnia in dogs.
* Vaccination reactions (example: Lyme disease shot).
* Eye/ear infections.
* Car sickness/vomiting.
* Wasp/bee/hornet stings (includes the inside of the mouth).
* Bites from some snakes.
* Asthma, as well as inhalant allergies (such as pollen or dust).
* Hay fever, runny/stuffy nose, and coughing/sneezing.
* Muscle tremors.
* Irritation at the dog's tail base.
* Bodily knots or lumps with fluid.

Benadryl absorbs and acts fast. Often, the effect can be seen within thirty minutes. However, in certain instances, it may take up to a week to see a notable result.

The Safety of using Benadryl for Pets

Generally, Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is exceptionally safe for dogs; however, there are a certain number of serious precautions:

* Diphenhydramine should not be administered to dogs with certain conditions: cardiovascular disease, glaucoma, prostatic disease, and hyperthyroidism.
* Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) may not be appropriate for a puppy. If you do have a puppy, please be sure to consult with your veterinarian first.
* Only the pure med is safe for dogs, where the active ingredient is only Diphenhydramine. The Decongestant or Colds/Sinus versions aren't acceptable.
* Liquid Benadryl is high in alcohol content and is not safe for most animals.
* Children's Benadryl may be alcohol and sugar free; however, it contains sodium, and this could be detrimental to dogs with certain health concerns.
* It shouldn't be used simultaneously with decongestants and painkillers. It can also interact with other medicines, and possibly be fatal. Should your pet be taking any other types of medication - it's important that you first ask your veterinarian about using Benadryl. Generally, Diphenhydramine is considered safe for your pet when taking flea and heartworm tablets, as well as steroids.
* It's extremely important that the prescribed dosage is not exceeded.

Many people recommend using small amounts of the medication first, then checking for any reaction to it. I recommend that you still talk to your veterinarian before giving any amount of Benadryl to a dog.

Benadryl Dosage for Pets

There're 2 ways for determining the proper dosage when administering Benadryl to a pet, and I will state them below:

1. Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is administered at a dosage of 1 milligram per 1 pound of the animal's weight 3 times per day (i.e. every 8 hrs). An example: a 30 lb dog should be given 30 mg of this medication three times per day.

2. Dogs are categorized by three weight class categories; the med is taken 3 times daily, every 8 hours:

* 30 pounds and under pets: 10mg
* 30-50 pound pets: 25 mg
* 50 pounds and over pets: 50mg

As you can see, the dosage of Diphenhydramine depends on the animal's weight, and the aforementioned are just the general recommendations. To determine the proper amount of Benadryl for your dog/cat, talk to a professional veterinarian. Too little of a dosage may not help at all, while exceeding the proper dosage may be dangerous. Also, a veterinarian will help you to determine a frequency for administering the medication, such as every four, eight, or twelve hours. In addition, a vet will ask questions for determining if it is an allergic reaction that your pet is having or something else. Should your current financial situation not permit a paid visit to your vet, you should still be able to get free advice by phone.

The Side Effects of Diphenhydramine in Pets

Common side-effects include: drowsiness and mild disorientation. Others include: dry mouth, diarrhea, vomiting, urinary retention, agitation, problems breathing, and lack of appetite. Some of the side-effects may be prevented. To prevent your pet from vomiting, give the medication with food. And to prevent appetite disturbances, feed your pet before administering the medication. In case of any side-effects, contact a veterinarian.

How to Administer Benadryl

Here are some suggestions for giving this medication to your pet: place the tablet or capsule into bits of meat; use liquid gel capsules that have been dipped into a tasty treat; rectal suppository; an injection. Most commonly, Diphenhydramine is taken orally, in tablets or capsules. Please contact your veterinarian to find out further information on the uses concerning Benadryl for dogs, and whether you can use it for your pooch.

Here is a fact sheet regarding the use of Benadryl in dogs.

Benadryl for Dogs or Cats

Benadryl is a brand name for an anti-histamine (diphenhydramine). Although it is considered fairly safe for use in dogs and cats, please be aware that it does have potential adverse side effects. It may interact with other meds that your pet is taking, so do not use it without first consulting your veterinarian. You should also use extreme caution using Benadryl in dogs that have glaucoma, prostatic disease, cardiovascular disease or hyperthyroidism.

Benadryl is quite effective when used in proper dosages.
Stops itching
Controls vomiting
Good for motion sickness
Can be used as a mild tranquilizer
Good for snake bites
Useful for vaccination reactions
Good for bee stings and insect bites

Be sure to use only the plain Benadryl formula. Giving benadryl with other combination of meds could be fatal, so be sure to read the box.

Liquid Benadryl is too high in alcohol content to be safely used for animals. Please use capsule or pill form.

Dosage every 8 hours
Dogs under 30 lbs and Cats : 10 mg
Dogs 30-50 lbs: 25 mg
Dogs over 50 lbs: 50 mg

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®)
By: Dr. Dawn Ruben

Benadryl is a brand name of diphenhydramine.

# Histamine is a chemical that is released in the body in response to inflammation or allergy. This chemical travels throughout the body searching for specific histamine receptors (targets on cells). Once attached to the receptors, histamine will cause swelling, itchiness and other symptoms associated with an allergic response.
# There are two types of histamine receptors: H1 and H2. H1 receptors affect small blood vessels and smooth muscles. When histamine attaches to the H1 receptors, the small blood vessels dilate and fluid begins to leak out. This results in tissue swelling and itchiness. In addition, the smooth muscles lining the small airways constrict, causing tightness and some breathing difficulty. H2 receptors affect heart rate and stomach acid secretions. When histamine attaches to H2 receptors, the heart rate increases and stomach acid secretions are increased, potentially increasing the risk of developing ulcers.
#
Drugs that block the effects of histamine are called antihistamines. There are a number of drugs demonstrating antihistamine effects; some are useful in allergies, others for preventing excessive stomach acid. The effects of the antihistamine depend on whether it binds with the H1 receptors or H2 receptors. There are few drugs that affect both types of receptors.
# Diphenhydramine is one type of antihistamine that inhibits the action of histamine, particularly its effect on H1 receptors. This results in a reduction or prevention of swelling and itchiness. Diphenhydramine has little to no effect on heart rate or stomach acid secretions.
# Diphenhydramine is available over the counter but should not be administered unless under the supervision and guidance of a veterinarian.
# This drug is not approved for use in animals by the Food and Drug Administration but it is prescribed legally by veterinarians as an extra-label drug.

Brand Names and Other Names

# This drug is registered for use in humans only.
# Human formulations: Benadryl® (Parke-Davis) and various generic preparations
# Veterinary formulations: None

Uses of Diphenhydramine

# Diphenhydramine is used primarily to treat allergic symptoms, itchy skin and allergic reactions such as that caused by a drug or an insect bite.
# It is also used to treat motion sickness and vomiting because of effects on the brain and nervous system.

Precautions and Side Effects

# While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, diphenhydramine can cause side effects in some animals.
# Diphenhydramine should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
# Animals with glaucoma, lung disease, heart disease, an overactive thyroid, high blood pressure and prostate enlargement should not use diphenhydramine.
# Diphenhydramine may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with diphenhydramine. Such drugs include epinephrine, tranquilizers, heparin and barbiturates.
# The most common adverse effects of diphenhydramine are sedation, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea and lack of appetite.
# In cats, oral diphenhydramine is bitter and can cause profuse, yet temporary, drooling.

How Diphenhydramine Is Supplied

# Diphenhydramine is available in 12.5 mg, 25 mg and 50 mg tablets.
# It is also available as a 12.5 mg/ml suspension.
# Injectable diphenhydramine is available in 10 mg/ml and 50 mg/ml concentrations.

Dosing Information

# Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.
# Diphenhydramine is dosed in dogs at 0.5 to 2 mg per pound (1 to 4 mg/kg) orally two to three times daily or 0.5 to 1 mg per pound (1 to 2 mg/kg) IM, IV or SC twice daily.
# In cats, diphenhydramine is dosed at 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1 mg/kg) PO every 12 hours but it has a bitter taste. It is also dosed at 0.5 to 1 mg per pound (1 to 2 mg/kg) IM every 12 hours.
# The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse.

****************************** http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/benadryl.htm
INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER MEDICATIONS
In the treatment of allergic skin disease, antihistamines are felt to synergize with omega 3 fatty acid supplements and, as a general rule for this condition, it is best to use these medications together.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Holy Cow! Way to go Ursa. I could not have said it better myself. Yea, the 1lb per mg is what my vet said too. So that's why he gets 3, 3 times a day. I get the regular little pink tablets and (typically the store brand because again, it's cheaper!) I place them in a spoonful of wet food. Down it goes! Bigger pills I can get down his throat fine, but these are small, there's more than one and they get sticky when wet. The Welactin is just a liquid omega three specially formulated for dogs. My vet sold me mine...http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/vet/product ... -dogs.aspx I'm definitley going to see if he can order in the gels next time. I give him two spoonfuls a day right now for the first month. Once this month is over and I have time to work it into his system, he'll get one a day and yes, I still give him the benadryl. After the hot spot incident and the fact he's still a little itchy, not taking chances at the moment.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

TyChowgirl, I keep folders with information like this for quick reference. I know I can do a search every time, but I like to have the information on hand and already digested. I usually try to also show the source, a habit from doing research at work. I have been giving my two Omega-3 fish oil caps, <0.1ppm Hg, purchased at the big box store. They think they are getting treats and will sit and wait for them. The Benadryl information I got for Malachi, who gets itchy spots in warm weather, that he then licks and scratches until he makes them raw. They are probably are from mosquito bites. I hate to have to take him to the vet for steroid shots, and I was thinking the Benadryl might help him.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Tychowgirl Thank you for answering my previous questions. I have another question regarding Welactin. Do you give it to Ty just during the time he is blowing his coat or do you give it to him year around?

Ursa’s daddy Thank you for your in depth info regarding Benadryl. I knew very little about it. I wasn’t aware that gel caps or tablets should be given in place of the actual liquid form. I did use Benadryl one time for my Chloe, per my vet’s instructions, after she had a reaction to a booster shot. I thought she had had stroke given the symptoms she was having. The vet didn’t specify not to use the liquid form, which I did give her. Luckily it didn’t affect Chloe. Your article also mentioned allergies. My beloved Chloe came to my mind – she had allergies to grass in the Spring and Fall about the same time she’d start “molting” (my term for blowing their coat). Maybe this is part of Whitby’s itching problem along with blowing her coat.

You both mentioned Omega3 and fish oil. A light bulb went on in my brain and I pulled out the file I had kept on Chloe. I used to give her 3V caps which contained fish oil. It's funny how things seem to skitter out of your brain and then someone mentions something and it causes you to have an "A Ha" moment.

I have an appointment for a meet & greet with a groomer tomorrow and things will work out so I’ll be able to get her a “beautification” appt. soon. Hopefully that will help give her some relief. :)

Again, Thank you to both of you. I really appreciate your input.