thunderstorm

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

thunderstorm

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Last night , we had one of those long rolling thunderstorms that come up from the Gulf. Every once in a while, I would wake up to thunder and find a wet nose in my face wanting some reassurance. It would be Malachi, my chowboy. I would rub him behind his ears and he would lie back down. I thought to my self that my little girl Ursa must have finally gotten used to the thunder, because I did not hear her all night. This morning when I got up, I could hear a dog's claws on the wood floor trying to get traction, but didn't see any dog. Yoda, my white cat, came out from under the bed. I looked under there to see Ursa trying to get out. Looks like she and Yoda spent the night hiding from the thunder under the bed. I don't know who was the first under the bed, but last week, Yoda got under there, and Ursa decided she would just stay close and not force herself under.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: thunderstorm

Post by Rory's Dad »

Great story...i know Rory doesnt fit under the bed, someone forgot to tell him. He will still somehow manage to get under my daughters bed to sleep, no all the way under mind you, but he must just kinda scoot his way under there. Thunder is an odd one with these guys. Certainly really strong ones can effect them. I figure they know something we dont.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

This brought back memories of my beloved Chloe who passed away a year ago this past January. The first storm we had after I rescued her came in the middle of the night. She came running into my bedroom and scrambled under my bed. When the storm was over she couldn't get back out. I guess her adrenalin helped her get under it but now she was calm. I had to struggle to lift the bed with one hand and reach under the bed, grab her collar and pull her out with my other hand. Not an easy task if you've had back surgery. After that incident, every time we would have a storm at night I'd take the cushions off of the sofa and stuff them under and around my bed so she couldn't get under it. Since she couldn't get under the bed - she'd get on the bed and become almost my second skin until the storm was over. As for daytine storm, she'd seek refuge in the corner of my bedroom between by dresser and night stand among some tall leafy plants. This has become known as "Chloe's storm corner".

The following is one of my favorite memories of Chloe and also a "storm story".
I'd worked in my flower beds most of the day and storms were predicted for the evening. I decided to take a bubble bath to relax my weary bones before the storms came in. Lo and behold - I'm sitting in the bathtub and out of the blue came this giant clap of thunder. The next thing I knew - I had a big, red chow in the bathtub with me. I don't know who was more surprised, me or Chloe. She just sat there, covered in bubbles, and looked at me as if to ask "What am I doing here?" :lol:
Last edited by reddog on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Great story! That would have made a great photo!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Last night we had an unusual April thunderstorm, lightening strikes (750+), chick pea size hail storm and a tornado warning just miles from my home! Lasted almost 4 hours. Stunning as lightening is to see, not really fond of thunder and lightening, I put the two chows here to use! At one point, I ducked and had the houseguest, Indigo, cover my left ear and the fluffy fellow, Tiggy, cover my right ear and used them as ear muffs! They didn't have time to react to the thunder, I trumped them to it! Interestingly enough, they were both pretty calm through it all. I did have the volume on the television pretty loud and closed the blinds and curtains so the lightening flashes wouldn't scare us too much. Whew! Glad it was over. Give me an earthquake jolt anyday!

San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge taken by Phil M. This one has gone viral.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Zhuyo's mom

WOW! a storm like that and going for for almost 4 hours to boot. That would really put me on edge also. I don't know about an earthquake jolt - that sounds more un-nerving to me.

The mental picture of the "furry" earmuffs - that is a Kodak moment. :lol:

Onto another thought. I'm curious. Did Buddy have his surgery yet? Is so, how did it go and how is he doing?
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

We got a thunderstorm and high winds last night and still windy today. The first time we had clappers, Dillon went upstairs. I am not sure which room he was in. likely the bathroom because it is tiny without windows. This time he stayed on his blankie in front of the TV for most of it, and then moved next to Lily on her little pillow. His little big sister is fearless and so is Tanny. I think that really helps.

Not the storm, but this is his favorite place.

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

reddog wrote:...Onto another thought. I'm curious. Did Buddy have his surgery yet? If so, how did it go and how is he doing?
Thanks for asking, Reddog. His fundraising campaign is still on. I should bring the topic I posted to the top. I don't think he's had his surgery yet. It's pretty pricey, especially since his first surgery not too long ago zapped his new parents' pocketbook dry. I'll keep you posted for sure!