Irresponsible Owners!!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Irresponsible Owners!!

Post by Kaysa »

I'm crazy mad, this is the second time that a neighbor's samoyedo attacks mi chow.

I was walking with my boy around the block, when out of nowhere, Snow (the Samoyedo) , came and tried to bite Muñeco, the owner just came and told him "snow stop, stop now" and that's it, I yelled at her "DO SOMETHING OR I WILL" and then her husband came and took the dog away, I told them that they should be more responsible because this was the second time their dog attacked mine, and he just looked at me and said "Don't be a fool, nothing happen to your dog, let's leave it at that", can you guys believe the nerve of that guy? I was so mad that I told them that it was an irresponsibility to leave a huge dog like that to run free, and they just said "He's very calm, it's only with YOUR dog that he behaves that way", like it's Muñeco's fault that their dog becomes agressive, when I asked what would they do if instead of Muñeco their dog didn't like a kid, they just said "He isn't like that, stop making a fuss over nothing, and please stop talking because you're making me angry", can't you believe it? I was making THEM angry, no wonder the poor dog is like that, I think there should be a law against that kind of people getting a dog.

My poor boy is such a sweet little thing, he doesn't fights back, so it's up to me to defend him, when I got home I had to check him to see if he didn't get bitten, I even had to dry bathe him because the other dog was smelly, I gave him a huge massage and now he's sleeping, argggggg I need to calm down but everytime I remember their words my blood boils!!!!

One thing is sure, I'm going to start walking with a baseball bat...No one is going to hurt my baby, not on my watch!!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Irresponsible Owners!!

Post by Victory »

Chows smell different than other dogs, and that makes some of them aggressive toward the chow. Also a chow's natural conformation; straight back legs, fluffy raised tail, stand off mane, make the chow look aggressive to other dogs. All that being said, it is still not good reason for your chow to be attacked by the sammie. But if the sammy is male and your chow is male that may be part of the problem as well.

I'm not saying it is your fault or your chow's fault I'm explaining why the sammy may act differently with your chow than with other dogs. I would try to explain this to the sammy's owner and then ask what time they allow their dog out, so that you can walk your dog at other times.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Victory's explanations of the triggers are pretty good. Had a recent experience at Rory's puppy class. We only go for the socialization with other dogs. Rory easily does sit, down, paw, pretty, crawl, speak, leave it, drop it, come, and loose leash walks. He will be 7 months at the end of March. He wont roll over, but really, thats a Chow for you, and thats not why we have him in the classes.

Since he is a full male, he does need some work on "off". But that is a different story.

In the class, there is also a 10 month old mix dog. Not sure, but could be a shepard mix. Anyway, the girl that owns the dog, has repeatedly said that he is agressive. He fights with the dog next door, over a fence, and last week attacked a much smaller dog.

This owner is afraid to step into the mess that her dogs causes. At class, they encourage puppy play. Now, i know my dog and let Rory participate, but always hold his leash. If he gets too rough, or mounts, I remove him from play. Yesterday, I had Rory on lead, away from the bunch, and this other dog just went at him. Rory was giving away about 6 inches in height, but probably even on weight. The other dogs owner basically ran, while I pulled Rory back (on lead still), and the instructor pulled the 2nd dog by the rear legs. Rory had already pinned it down by the throat in about 3 seconds.

As most of you know, we have show aspirations for Rory. Had he been cut or injured, I probably would have lost it.

Anyway, long way to my point (which happens a lot), different sort of dog owner, but equally irresponsible. In Kaysa's situation, you have both an owner who doesnt know to control her dog, and a 2nd owner who thinks its ok to have an aggressive, uncontrolled animal. In my case, I think I have one that is trying to figure it out, but is unable.

Kaysa, I think Victory's advice on trying to avoid this dog and his owners is spot on. If you can schedule around it great, but if that's inconvenient, then think of other options. If it were me, I would carry a sledge hammer on my walks, not for the other dog, but for the owners... It goes against my nature, but perhaps you should also alert the local law enforcement, it sounds like the dog is a danger and even if it is just your dog for now, it likely will escalate to other dogs, or as you mentioned children.
Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kaysa »

Thank you guys for your advice, sadly the owners of the other dog are truly irresponsible and dificult people, when I tried to explain the danger their dog represents for the community (not just my boy, but for other smaller dogs and children), they just told me to butt off, It's their dog and they'll raise him the way they think is right, they do not have an especific time to walk their dog because they just walk whenever they feel like it.

For the time being I'll take Rory's Dad advice and I'll carry a walking stick on my walks
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Ya know, if they are allowing a Sammy to run off leash, then they have a second problem. Sammies have poor recall, because they LOVE to run. They aren't quite as bad as Huskies but they are close. Letting him run like isn't a smart idea for all kinds of reasons, including his own safety.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

There also should be a leash law that applies.

Are you and your chow on the sidewalk, and the Samoyed runs out of his yard to bother you? Or are you both walking the dogs and they come in contact with each other on the sidewalk? From reading your first post, I thought the Samoyed came out of his yard and you were on the sidewalk.

Either way, there is a leash law, but if the Samoyed comes off of his own property to bother you, I really doubt you are the only ones he is annoying. Is there any way you can carry a small video recorder on a belt or someplace that would record what happened in case the Samoyed comes at you again and really tries to cause trouble? Then it wouldn't be your word against theirs. It would be hard to have a camera positioned so it would record the incident when you have a dog leash in one hand and a club in the other, but just a thought! If there were a way to do it, a video of what really happened might come in handy.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Walk softly and carry a big stick. If the owner's continue to be butt heads, it is up to you to keep your Chow safe. You don't necessarily have to club the other animal, but use the stick (I have a cane) to push at it's chest while saying, "Back, ye Devil!" or some other appropriate comment. When the owners complain, tell them it's no big deal, you didn't hurt the dog, and their dog is the only one you have to defend against...then keep on walking. Don't wait around to hear them whine some more.
Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kaysa »

Hey you guys, sadly here in my country there's no leash law, but my family and I decided to talk with the members of our community, we live in a suburban area, in a small closed community and we all know each other.

We had an assembly yesterday and we expose our case, and to my surprise we weren't the only ones complaining about the dogs and the owners, since I only walk Muñeco in the nights after I get home from work, I didn't know they tend to let the Sammy and 2 other dogs to run free in the neighborhood, and they go "to the bathroom" in the backyard of other people and they take the dogs to swim in the community pool. They didn't like to be told these things but since it was all agains't them they said they will change their behaviour.

We only hope they listen to all we said and hopefully they'll be better owners and neigbors :D
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Just another case of the owners, not the dog...Glad to hear that this seems to have taken a positive turn. BTW, i fully recommended the beating club for the owners, and not the dogs unless absolutely necessary to protect eveyone's health.

If those other dogs had been a chow or a pit, they would have been sentenced without a jury just based on reputation.

Leash law or not, there has to be an endangerment law. Based on what we have already seen about these owners, their compliance with the neighborhood wishes may only be temporary. Once they figure no one is concentrating on this issue, they will probably return to their earlier behavior. Nobody learns responsibility overnight. Keep good records, and document their behavior. Make sure the other people in your community do the same.