Going away for a few days....

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Going away for a few days....

Post by kingalls »

Hello all - Need any advice you might have...
I am going a trip for about 3-4 days. I have never been away from either Shiloh or Mr. Nahkohe for such a long period. I think that Shiloh can handle it okay but I'm a little worried about Mr. N. (and okay, Jeff too because he has to handle them alone while I am away). Mr. N is "my boy" and I "tuck" him in every night. I think they will be okay the first day until they figure out I'm not coming home that evening. Then for certain, the next day when the routine is different - because it will be minus Mom. Of course, to top matters we have had nightly visitors (rats) making the two of them very stubborn about being quite and/or coming in for the evening. Needless to say, it will be challenging for Jeff. So any helpful suggestions about this would be appreciated. I worry a bit about Mr. N having separation anxiety (aside from wondering if Jeff will be here when I get home :wink: )

Thanks, Karen
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Karen,

I know how you feel but, seriously, don't worry too much!

Mr. N. will be devastated probably if his Mommy isn't there, but he has his Daddy and his Shiloh!! :)

Remember not too long ago Confucious being locked up in prison! He handled it! Remember time does not actually mean the same thing to Chows (or dogs for that matter) as it does for us. He doesn't actually realise he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night. He gets up when it is light or when the household stirs and goes to bed when it is dark. Time does not come in to it. Therefore, he will miss you but the time will go through as time does and suddenly you will be home and he will be thrilled and that will be the first day of the rest of his life!

You are going to be the one to suffer most 'cos you are going to worry. Jeff is a big boy - he will cope - he will have to. Again, you will worry but he will be there when you get back, no doubt with a list of grizzles but I bet there will be some funny stories. You never know, he might even get to tucking up Mr. N, the spoilt chowling, himself!! :D

Seriously, just make sure all the bits and bobs they like are in the cupboard or their biscuit tin or wherever, leave a list of the routine and tell Jeff how proud and relieved you are to have him to leave The Preciouses with. :wink:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

to add to Judy's post....

Whereever you go, HAVE A GREAT TIME!

I'm sure you'll check in with Jeff each day and he'll give you an update. So your two are in excellent hands. However, just beware when you return that Mr. N will probably greet you with lots of waggy tails, but after you've all settled in, prepare to do some groveling. He might just want you to grovel a bit. Oh, one more thing, I always told Zhu my itinerary. Crazy, yes. But telling him flat out the whozits, wherezits and whatzits eased any type of anxiety. Whenever I didn't do that, my parents said he would just mope around and not even eat. Sounds crazy to tell your chow you itinerary, but it worked for us.

Safe travels,
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

It does sound weird but what Lou says about telling your Chows what's going on and where you are going does work. When ever I walk out the door if I don't tell Pekoe I'm going to the store or where ever and that I will be right back she will sit in front of the door and whine the entire time one of us is gone but if we say where we are going and we will be right back or we will be back later she just goes about her business with no problem.

So just before you walk out the door tell them where your going and just say I will be back later, you may not have any problems. You probably won't have any problems anyway, if i have to leave Pekoe for a second I worry about it more then Pekoe does.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, I forgot to mention that - it is sooooooooooooo true. I always tell M & M where I am going and we won't be long and we will be back and they are ok.
We are going away for the weekend in September and our grandaughter Louise is going to come and sleep with them. She will probably sleep in our bed as they sleep in our room. They love her so much and she loves them. She was 15 when Milly came to live with us and would make sure the younger ones did not wake her.
But we will tell them where we are going and why and Lou will look after them and the weekend will pass and we will get home and they will be thrilled.
So do tell them Karen - sound odd and anybody who has never loved a precious chow (or a dog) would not understand. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Importance of telling your Chow your itinerary.

Post by Juniper »

Yes, I've also find it's important to let your Chow know your itinerary. However, one time when I gave her a time period of 7 PM and I didn't return until 9 PM, she refused to eat both dinner that evening and breakfast the following day, which threw her off schedule. Come to think of it she gave me the cold shoulder as well. So, I've learned my lesson; I never tell her exactly what time I plan to return and it works out better - I just say: See you later tonight - I'll get home as early as I can. :lol:
Jennifer & Sheena
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Ha,ha!
I had to laugh reading these posts. Anybody who doesn't own a chow would think we're completely bonkers! :lol:

Ok, I also tell Dakota when & where I'm going and when I'll be back. Karen, dont worry so much! They will be just fine and Jeff will have no problem looking after them without you.

I have to admit though, that I worry everytime I have to leave Dakota for a few days even though she's left in the loving care of my Mom who adoress her. I always leave her VERY detailed lists of when to feed, when to walk, when to give her eyedrops, etc, etc. My Mom is like "You know Roxana, I have had six children, I think I can look after a dog!" :lol:

But anyway Karen, have a good time, try not to worry too much and just be prepared to miss them like crazy.

Take Care,
Roxana
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

:D So true! I always tell Rogan that I'm leaving and approximately when I'll be back. (Tonite, 4 days, etc...) Nina could care less -- the rottweiler just wants a body to love. I started doing this when Rogue was young - he would take his, shall we say, anxiety over a missing mom, on my husband. Erik did NOT appreciate that :wink:. I still get "yelled" at when I get home. Sort of like "wookie speak". But at least no one gets hurt. :D
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
debbie and bones

leaving your chow

Post by debbie and bones »

I think all that has been said so far is accurate and that you don't need to worry about your chows. The one thing that I noticed when I left Bear and Bones with my parents was neither would eat for quite some time. However, they would finally start again (sometimes 3-5 days without eating - except bedtime treats). My mom would then handfeed them or have one of the grandchildren do it and they would reluctantly give up their hunger strike. Other than that, they were fine, but I wanted to mention that it happens so you are prepared. The most exciting part of it all is coming back and being greeted so welcoming and lovingly - all the stoicism of the Chow disappears and those tails wag, wag, wag like crazy. Have a safe time away. We will be interested to hear how they are without you - good bonding time with Jeff!
kingalls

Back home!

Post by kingalls »

I'll try to keep this post as short as possible...I left Wednesday morning after giving Shiloh & Mr. N a good talk about me leaving and them being good while I was gone. I called home each day and Jeff reported that the dynamic duo were behaving okay - although Mr. N kept looking at the door as though he was wondering when I would be walking back through. I think - though - that Jeff was glossing over the situation considering the nightmare that myself & my daughter were experiencing in our U-Haul road trip back to California....(two auto transport tire blowouts and about 8 hours of waiting for help (two separate problems))....There weren't as many problems that we expected from Mr. N - yeah!
When we returned late Sunday afternoon, Mr. N and Shiloh were jumping, jumping with excitement! Mr. N was all over me with purple kisses!
The problem we encountered was with Mr. N trying to get at my daughter (Josalyn). She was just here that past November and Mr. N did not have any problems - he actually like having her and her son here. This time Mr. N was trying to get at her - no barking, etc. but when he got close enough he managed to put a hole in her T-shirt with his teeth.
This was a concern for us! I think that the whole excitement of me coming home and having a "new" person in the house was too much for Mr. N.
I decided that we need keep my daughter and Mr. N separated for now. He can see she is here in the house and perhaps later, he can meet her outside just before our evening walk/run.
We were surprised that Mr. N nipped at my daughter's shirt but are thinking we expected too much with his responses to me just coming home and a "new" person in the house.
Thanks everyone for your posts regarding how to handle Mr. N and Shiloh when I left. I think that Jeff is either not disclosing any problems or they were much more cooperative than I gave them credit.
Hopefully, we won't have a repeat situation but at least we will have some experience on how to do this.
The other animals (cats) are also re-adjusting to my return.
....ah! a little different experience for people being seperated from their pets!
Thanks everyone!
Karen