Puppy scratching

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cbbaum7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Puppy scratching

Post by Cbbaum7 »

Our three month chow chow scratches continually. What can I do for him? I feed him purina puppy chow. Is there something I can spray on him or does he need something added to his food? He appears to have very sensitive skin or to be ticklish when you rub various parts of his body because his foot really dances.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Puppy scratching

Post by Rory's Dad »

tough to say at 3 months...could just be a habit thing. i think most people on this site would not be too kind to the purina brand of food, but i have nothing scientific for that. my breeder recommends a mixed diet for skin and coat health. my pup is almost 5 months. he gets cottage cheese in the morning and either ground beef or chicken in the evening. he gets to graze on Nutro Large Breed Puppy at other times. Seems to be a good mix of dairy and protein. Our vet seems has never questioned his diet.

I have heard that purina is heavy on filler, and you do want to avoid that. Still, even Rory tends to 'chew' at himself now and then. Skin is a nice pinkish color, so i know its ok. You could try adding a fish oil on top of his food if he seems to like the brand as changing diet completely can be frustrating.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Our Leo and Max has scratching issues and they eat Taste of the Wild High Prairie (TOTW). Vet check revealed healthy skin and she, too, recommended fish oil. Just pierce and capsule with pin and put on or in a treat. I thought the boys would lick it off a plate ... NOT! We just sprinkle on the food dish 1-2 times a week and it seems to lessen the scratches a bit. For us, though, they often scratch because of the play biting they do and the tall grasses we wade through during walks. I have read that brushing will help stimulate the skin, so even though your pup may not SEEM to need to be brushed, the brushing is not only a good bonding time for you but also beneficial for their skin. Be sure to use a pin-brush or something that won't scratch his already sensitive skin.

Best of luck to you!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Malachi has started to scratch himself a lot, and I am not sure if it is just a nervous habit. I think it is funny that Leo and Max won't gobble up the fish oil. I give the capsules to my two like a treat. They have to sit and wait politely for it. Now my wife thinks it is not fair to give it to them like this, but if they think it is something special and are ready to get their fish oil, I think that it is great.
Cbbaum7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cbbaum7 »

He appears to have developed several hotspots. Further searching suggested apple cider vinegar to put on spots (50% dilute). Has healed spots very well but scratching continues. Thanks for the fish oil advice. I will try this.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Ursa's daddy wrote:Malachi has started to scratch himself a lot, and I am not sure if it is just a nervous habit. I think it is funny that Leo and Max won't gobble up the fish oil. I give the capsules to my two like a treat. They have to sit and wait politely for it. Now my wife thinks it is not fair to give it to them like this, but if they think it is something special and are ready to get their fish oil, I think that it is great.
GEORGE!!! I never thought of that!!! I bet they WOULD take it like a treat ... after all, they can't smell what's inside and they might wolf it down. I think I'll try that tomorrow! ((OF course ... they LOVE their carrots!!!))
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

cbbaum7 said:
He appears to have developed several hotspots. Further searching suggested apple cider vinegar to put on spots (50% dilute). Has healed spots very well but scratching continues. Thanks for the fish oil advice. I will try this.
If he is scratching to the point that he is developing hot spots I would definitely look at changing his food and depending on the size of the hot spots they may need to be treated by a vet. Try to find a grain free food, corn and wheat are often issues for chows. I had to try several different foods with Cocoa and she is now on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, which has worked out great, she hardly ever scratches.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Cbbaum7 wrote:He appears to have developed several hotspots. Further searching suggested apple cider vinegar to put on spots (50% dilute). Has healed spots very well but scratching continues. Thanks for the fish oil advice. I will try this.
Get him OFF the Purina, it is full of corn and wheat, both no nos for chows. High quality natural food with no corn, wheat, artificial preservatives, colors etc in it. The food might cost more but it will save you a ton of money in vet bills. Also corn can cause diabetes in dogs and cats, as it is processed into sugar which they really have a low tolerance for. Solid Gold, Merricks, Natures Secret are all good foods, and you'll read about others on this site. In the winter, when it is very dry and cold additions for coat and skin can be added. I use Solid Gold's Seameal pwder and Flax seed oil, (which has other oils in it as well) works wonders for my two. My Firesong is almost 12, (Valentine's Day) and has had some issues in the past two years with dry skin in the winter, I add these two things to her food and all is well, no more scratching and digging at herself.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
terrohl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by terrohl »

I don't Purina is a good brand to give your dog because of the ingredients. My chow scratched, itched, hotspots and her coat was irritated and it was because of what she was eating. I tried "Natures Variety" dry dog food (both the lamb and venison were good) and her hotspots disappeared, she stopped itching and scratching and her fur went became soft and she grew a beautiful coat. Find a good pet supply store, where the employees are trained about good dog food. Big brand names, even those unfortunately sold at the vets are not always the best. I stay away from chicken flavored dog food, because I think my one chow must be allergic, because her coat becomes poor, hotspots, itching occurs when she has this flavor. When your dog scratches, they could injure themselves, especially around the ears. Before I knew to stick with this good dog food, and stop buying cheap stuff at the grocery store - my dog Roxie scratched her ear and broke a blood vessel. Her ear did not stand up straight and it filled with blood. It costs a few hundred dollars and a surgery to drain the ear and stitch it up. All because of scratching.
terrohl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by terrohl »

I read above another person's response to try "Taste of the Wild" and we used Salmon flavor I think. That worked well, with stopping the fur to be irritated (causing them to scratch) and I would recommend it as well. I only switched because they get tired of it, and if I need to switch again because the day comes they get tired of it, I know it will be a safe dry food to give them.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I also have a chow who cant eat chicken...her ears get very itchy and last time she ended up with ulcers in them from the meds...I took her off chicken and magic...no more ear probs. Food is the most important thing there is so it is best to spend a little more and get it right and save yourself a pile of trouble and money.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Marti and Ursa- I give Ty his omega 3-6-9 kinda like a treat, but I ask him to "open" and then shove it on the inside corner of his jaw kinda beind his tongue. He's kinda forced to swallow it then, and doesn't seem to mind. It's over quick too.
Cbbaum- If Taste of wild is too hard to find or you want to pay a smidgeon less, Blue Buffalo has a new food called Freedom that isn't as high in protein as their wilderness brand, but has not grains or glutens in it. I put Ty on that the moment I saw it (and Petsmart was running a special for a while where it was almost five bucks cheaper than the regular food)It seems to be chicken only at the moment, but I'm sure that'll change once it sells enough.