Totally off subject of chows

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Totally off subject of chows

Post by chowpups »

Is anybody else been fighting this upper respiratory infection???I've been fighting this since Dec13th...Just wondering if anyone else is suffering?
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Totally off subject of chows

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I've been fighting it since this past Saturday... :? I am NOT liking this... I was supposed to go job hunting tomorrow, but I'm not so sure that's a good idea anymore... :?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

I've been sick for 7 weeks now! :(
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

This started with my grandson having croup ( the 3 yr old) then I got it and the dominos started falling the whole family has gotten sick, everyone stay healthy this just doesn't leave......
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Well, you are not alone. I have been fighting it since Christmas. It is beginning to clear up. I got a nasal spray from my doctor to open up my sinuses, which helped. I have also spent a fair amount of time in bed.
@Jess....Good Luck with the job hunt. My son just got a call for a second interview. I hope he gets the job.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

December 22nd ... my husband gave me his cold, which reverted to sinus infection, TERRRIBLE ear ache, tinnitus and pinkeye. Then, he caught whatever my metamorpasis was, however, without the pinkeye. Mine has since moved to my chest without any relief from the ear heaviness, tinnitis and my right eye is acting up again. I read that Sudafed will help my ears because it's NOT wax buildup (have done ACV in drops, steam, and elixir and also ear candles in both ears with no relief) ... the fluid or residual infection is behind the ear drum. Also Clor Trimeton and Karen mentioned something else which I failed to write down. If you have health insurance, you might need doctors help. I don't so I've been surfing the internet for home remedies beyond my standard 1000mg Vitamin C/2 Aspirin/Garlic every four hours. After all this time, TODAY I finally had a clear nose-blow so I know I'm on the mend for sure. Yay!!! Next is this hacking cough and clearing up my chest ickies. Robitussin ... take me away!!!

Oh yeah ... I think this is what they call a SUPER-BUG! Get well soon, Nancy dear.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I've been to the Drs. He gave me azithromycin (z pak), 2 liquid meds one for cough the other for throat pain he said it would sedate me ..I don't even remember being awake that day..he wasn't kidding..that was once and done for me..anyway it's all in the chest now with pain in the back when I cough up my lungs. You are not kidding when you say super bug. I was just curious if this was so wide spread or just my germy family...LOL
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

My neighbor wasn't feeling very good last Saturday and went home earl. Several co-workers had gone home with colds in the past week. Anyway, my neighbor got home and went to bed that afternoon and didn't wake up until Sunday afternoon. It was over and done with in hours.
I will keep knocking on wood for now :lol:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Cherriemater, I don't think there is much you can do about tinnitus. At least that is what the ENT doctor told me. Now if you want to drain those sinuses, warm salt water will do the trick. Get a cup of warm salt water and snort it up you nose. It will burn some. I do this while taking a nice warm shower, 'cause it will make you blow things everywhere. The cough if not so bad now and the sinuses are better, so it does eventually diminish.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

:!: HUGE warning about the salt water :!: ONLY use distilled water or water that has come to a rolling boil for atleast 3 minutes. There is an ameoba (prob spelled wrong) in most water that cannot be filtered out which is harmless to drink but once it gets in the nasal tissues it will kill you. THIS IS NOT A JOKE...look up brain-eating ameoba. 2 women have died from it recently.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I also heard about that on the news too just recently about DON'T USE TAP WATER with Nettie pots
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

OOPS, I forgot about the possibility of amoeba. Better safe than sorry. That good old rolling boil in the tea kettle will do the trick.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Wouldn't the water from your hot water heater be sufficient to boiling off the rare ameoba? Don't know, so thought I would ask. Plus, some water districts chlorinate their water and wondered if that could also prevent this amoeba from showing up in your tap.

And, this respiratory thing has spread pretty bad here in California too. :_|
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

According to the center for disease control this is more likely to happen in the southern states since the ameboea trives in warm water. But evidently the clorine, etc is not enough to protect against it. In my opinion better safe than sorry...
"Tap water is safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose," said Dr. Raoult Ratard, Louisiana state epidemiologist in a statement. Ratard urged neti-pot users to fill the pots only with distilled, sterile, or previously boiled water, and to rinse and dry them after each use.
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

Ugg I just started getting a cold today :(
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Horrible cold/flu here too that have gone into our sinuses and ears. Must be the same thing. Luckilly no one in our house has a chest weakness so we are not prone to chesty things. It seems to have laid many low over here and we also have a winter vommiting bug doing the rounds as well :(

Hope you all feel better soon. You have had a lot to contend with this winter Nancy so it is bound to bring your immune system down a bit. Hope it starts to clear soon x
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Good news here is we have well water. High calcium build up so I think I'll have to boil the water. UGH, though, I HATE putting things IN my nose. But, if it works I'm game. I have been on Sudafed for five days and have tried the "hold your nose and blow through your ears" trick. This worked for hubby and his ears never plugged like mine did. ((PS, you don't blow hard enough to rupture ear drums, just to get things moving.)) So, I did this and have some crackling sound now in right ear (the plugged one). I think I may heat up some of my contacts saline ... already mixed rather than trying to add the right amount of salt to my boiling water.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Oh great... looks like me and alfie are starting to come down with it now, too. :( and we never get Ill
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

You probably got it from me over facebook. Sorry. :oops: