Vacuum Cleaner suggestions

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

RhondaR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Vacuum Cleaner suggestions

Post by RhondaR »

I currently have a hoover mach 5. But it was getting less powerful even before Bubba came into our lives and now I have to clean out the beater bar and the bristles and the hoses everytime I want to vacuum. There are only three area rugs in my house so its not like I have wall to wall carpeting that I am trying to vacuum. But this vacuum just can't handle all Bubba's fur. I know when it comes time for him to shed his winter coat there is no way that vacuum will work. Any suggestions? I don't have the funds to buy the Dyson.
Thanks in advance
Rhonda
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Vacuum Cleaner suggestions

Post by TyChowgirl »

I hear Dyson's are overrated when it comes to pet fur. I also have heard that pet specific vaccums are overrated. But, I have an apart style (the smaller ones, which is not what I wanted when my little hoover nano crashed from all the fur, but that's all they had on short notice...but I digress) bissel pet hair which is GREAT for the hair. I mean I empty it multiple times because it picks it up great, however, with bigger things it's not the greatest, but gotta pick your battles I suppose. I never have to clean stuff off the bristles though. If I could get a bigger version of this, I probably would. But this will do for us for now because we are in a smaller space.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Vax are also very good. It is true, dysons are terribly overrated.
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

i have to pipe in on this one, because we go through a vacuum every 2 years or less due to the fur issue. We had the Bissel, which i have to say lasted as good as any. Recently bought a Dyson Ball, only because if was about 50% off. So far, not impressed, not totally against it either. My biggest issue with it is that is auto adjusts for carpet height. With our pet fur, i always go for the lowest setting to really scrub the rug, cant do that with the Dyson. Also seems to be very center of the sweep particular, not great edge cleaning. Aside from that, i do like the ball steering. Has a very small dust cup too. Frequent emptying. Wife practically screamed at me for spending the money on the Dyson, and in hindsight i think the bargain priced brand with a good amount of hp might be just as good.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thank the good Lord above and our Landlord for wood floors!!! ((Sorry, I know that doesn't help any.)) But ... on a side note (and also off the beaten topic) we are cleaning our Eden Pure filter weekly as opposed to monthly BC2 (before chow squared) and once they blow their puppy coat it might be daily. Eek!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Well, the chowdren spend a lot of time outside, and they are instructed not to get on the rug in the living room. A portion of the rug is covered with a runner to help keep it clean. The central heat/air filters sure collect a lot of hair. The ritual is to brush the dogs out in the breezeway every evening when they come in to eat. This helps some, and they are clipped during the summer. For those of you that have snow (?), it is in the 70's today (low 20'sC), so clipping them helps. The cats are about as bad as the dogs. Chelsea, our Persian, likes to leave little wads of white fur on the carpeted stairs, and she is brushed daily. Bunny, our bob tail cat, likes to play in the Drinkwell Fountain, and she clogs up the pump with her fur. We use a Dirt Devil on the stairs, and just break out the shop vac about once a month to clean under the furniture. It doesn't hurt if you think of the occasional hair in your coffee or food as some roughage in your diet.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

lol Ursa's Daddy. In my house we refer to chow hair as a "condiment". :)
cyear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cyear »

We purchased a Bissell "Pet Hair Eraser" vacuum and it has been a life saver. It works much better than my $500 vacuum. Cost around $149. There is a piece on the front catches the hair like a lint brush and then sucks up the hair. Make sure it is the "Pet Hair Eraser" one. Every time we vacuum it is amazing what it picks up. Requires no bags, just empty the bin after each use. I could not believe how much hair my expensive vacuum was leaving behind. I highly recommend it.
CYear aka Munson's mom
Milledgeville, GA
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I don't post on here much anymore, but I think if you do a search you'll find other discussions on vacuums. It seems everyone has a favorite. Personally, I love my Dyson. I bought it used in early 2006 and it's still going strong. I bet I've had at least 30 different chows/mixes in my house since that time. Currently I have 7 chow/mixes and 1 little rat dog living in the house and our property is sandy loam...that's a ton of fur and sand. A couple years ago I bought myself a new Dyson Animal, but I prefer the old one. It's time for it to go to the shop for service (first time) so I'm glad I have a backup.
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

If you are willing to take a refurbished one and shop around, I think you can find a Dyson Animal Vac for around $350 to $400. Personally, I'm not sure they are worth the increased cost over others, even at that discounted price.

I have a Hoover Windtunnel, and it works okay, but I have to clean fur out of the brush sometimes. Will most likely try a Bissel when this one wears out.

Yvonne
Brandon's Mom - even now that he's at the Bridge.
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

I bought a Dyson Animal upright back in 2006 or so, and it's still going strong and the best vac I've ever had. Chow chow hair is easy compared to Persian cat hair which clings in smears and clumps on everything, and the dyson can actually pick it up! While in England I had a Dyson animal canister version, and that was good, but not as good as my upright.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Yes, chow hair is easy when compared to Persia cat hair. :) Our stairs are carpeted, and there are little white tuffs all up and down because Chelsea is the Queen of the stairs.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

I currently have the dyson dc23 animal motorhead. Its the canister that has a motor to turn on the brush bar (the turbine uses air?). I have hardwood floors/linoleum & a few floor rugs. It does a good job (I do have to empty it alot) but I waited until I found it on sale half price. I tried the ball but it didnt get into corners very well so I returned it. For a long time I used a wet/dry shop vac which worked great on the hardwood/linoleum but not so great on rugs. I think I am going to buy the bedding tool accessory from dyson since it doesnt have a brush at all and see how that works on the floors. Cause even with the brush bar off hair gets stuck to it.
benmilton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by benmilton »

I have heard Kenmore Progressive 25615 is the best but is expensive. The 23-pound Kenmore canister also has a full-bag indicator, a manual pile-height adjustment and a retractable cord. The brush roll can be turned off for vacuuming bare floors.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Beware some shag carpet manufactures will not warranty their carpet if you use a Dyson.I bought a Hoover multi cyclonic thing this summer it's the biggest piece of rubbish I have ever bought and at almost $300 it was not cheap :(
Thank you Sweatpea
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Have the Dyson, and only because we got it at a really good price. Have had a ton of other vacs, Hoover, Bissell, etc. Older home and always remodelling something, so aside from the Chow fur, we put them through a workout. After all is said and done, i still prefer the Bissell for reliability.

Best thing about the Dyson, is it is easily serviceable. The beater bar is removeable with just a turn of a latch, making it so much easier to clean. All the hoses are detachable, easier to remove any blockage. Worth the money, no probably not. I wouldnt rate it any higher than other vacs when it comes to normal usage. It's just easier to clear any issues.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

My husband has been wanting to get a Roomba since we got the cats. Now that my third vacuum has seemingly bit the dust, he's brought it up again(I think he just wants a robot lol). I don't know if it's practical and I'm afraid of Ty attacking it. I mean, if it's vacuuming daily it may not be so bad. I have a condo...so it's not a lot of space, just a lot of hair between the three animals. Anyone have any feedback on these things?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

When I moved here, (wall to wall carpet in the bigger rooms) I bought a Dirt Devil upright. It does okay if I vaccum daily, (which I don't) my friend got me a vacmaster shop vac for a house warming present. I like it a LOT better, it has no turning parts on the nozel thing to get clogged up with their hair, (or the shedded parts of the new carpeting) I don't have the filter on it so it doesn't clog up inside either. It can clog up in the hose sometimes but it will also blow backwards so I can clear that too. Takes a while to go over the house, but it works beautifully. I've only had it a little while so I don't know how long it will last, but so far I'm happy with it.

I'd love to replace this carpet with something without a nap, like berber, but I think the landlord might object, I know my budget would.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

We have a Dyson ball that we got about 7 years ago using a 30% coupon from the store Bed, Bath and Beyond. They closed their doors along time ago but the Dyson has been very good. We also have 2 hoover wind tunnels, a newer one that is baggless and has an auto cord rewind and a 20 year old one that uses a bag. Of course a shop vacuum is a must also after grooming and for the cars. We try to keep the fur picked up by vacuuming a lot and brushing them. They aren't allowed on the furniture and out of some rooms. I think most people don't know to replace the belt on their vacuums because they stretch and don't work as well.

I found this on someones facebook page and thought it was very funny.

TO NON-PET OWNERS who visit my home and complain about my pets.
1) They live here, you don't.
2) If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. That's why they call it 'Fur'-niture.
3) Chances are, I love my pets more than I like you.
4) To you, they are animals. ...To me, they are my babies and family ... who are hairy, walk on all fours & don't talk back!
Re-post if you love your pets

Brutus
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

612guy wrote:I found this on someones facebook page and thought it was very funny.

TO NON-PET OWNERS who visit my home and complain about my pets.
1) They live here, you don't.
2) If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. That's why they call it 'Fur'-niture.
3) Chances are, I love my pets more than I like you.
4) To you, they are animals. ...To me, they are my babies and family ... who are hairy, walk on all fours & don't talk back!
Re-post if you love your pets

I would add:
5) they are the only thing standing between me with a nuke and the rest of humanity. :twisted:
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cleanthelote
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cleanthelote »

I say only one thing, when you touch or come in contact with humans, don't you get some kind of leftovers? May be you don't feel it....
Why it is so awkward in case of a loving and caring soul who only try to be with all the time?
Just think of the animal as friendly soul, all goes well...
I agree that vacuum cleaning is easy and fast, don’t use on my Chow Chow after all it is not carpet cleaning
But when it comes to stains it is whole different story, it may sound weird but my grandma used tea leaves for floor cleaning.
cleanthelote
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cleanthelote »

Hey i think carpet cleaning that u can find some really helpfull suggestions over here =) check it out hope it helps :oops: :P
I agree that vacuum cleaning is easy and fast, don’t use on my Chow Chow after all it is not carpet cleaning
But when it comes to stains it is whole different story, it may sound weird but my grandma used tea leaves for floor cleaning.
tydoog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tydoog »

I think we all have different needs in a vacuum, some of us want a higher quality and some of us just want a cheap vacuum that does the trick for a while. With that being said I'm kind of a novice in vacuum buying and I thought you guys could help me out with some advice or suggestions. I found this site last night http://www.squidoo.com/what-is-the-best-vacuum-cleaner and I'm considering the hoover windtunnel even tho it's kind of pricey i'm hoping it will last a while. I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with it or suggestions of other ways to go? Thanks a lot.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I just purchased the Shark 3 in one Professional rotator ( red and white colors)swivel head vacuum with 8 attachments for under 200.00 ( maybe 160.00 with a store coupon )! I bought it cause I needed a carpet and hard floor vacuum for the kitchen area ( just wanted something easy to use for quick clean ups) and hated my old one cause you had to attach parts for the hardwoods ,this one worked great every where even stairs so I am using it in every room . It's light too for my old bones to use and what I liked is I can take it a part and wash out the canister if I need to. With the bags I can't stand the Odor of a bag sitting with dog hair in it. this says anti allergen filter too? only had it about a month now but I like it and believe me if you think a chow sheds a lot don't ever get a golden retriever. I think each time I vacuum I have enough fur for another dog and I vacuum almost daily!
Bella thinks the black orient rugs feel the best to lie on with white fur!
Valyz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Valyz »

Cyear is right the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser does a fantastic job. I have been using it for a long time.