Dew Claws

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

SoonLee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dew Claws

Post by SoonLee »

Yesterday, my 2 year old Chow somehow ripped off his dewclaw nail (the entire nail is gone). He doesn't act like he is in pain at all. He doesn't act like anything has happened at all. The only way I found out was all the blood in the house!! I have it all bandaged up. Had to use cornstarch to stop the bleeding. Anyone with experience in this matter?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Dew Claws

Post by Sirchow »

Just keep a good eye on it for infection but it may be that it will just heal up and not cause any more bother. My Izzie has normal dew claws at the front and unattached ones at the back which just flap around. I always worry that she will rip them. Hope it is OK.
BTW I too use corn starch or even ordinary flour or talcum powder to stop bleading it is very effective in an emergency.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

The same thing happened to Chumley but it must have ripped off outside while he was playing. I was clipping his nails & poof no nail on that dew claw. It took a while but it did grow back just like it never happened. Whis is more than I can say for one of his nails that I accidently cut too short (it grew back crooked).
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

My LiChi actually ripped off one of his normal nails, the first one on his paw, he limbed around for a few days, (mostly for attention) and then he was okay, the nail even grew back just fine.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!