Worried about Belle after spay surgery

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Worried about Belle after spay surgery

Post by bellachow »

Ok, I may just be a worry wort but it would be reasuring to know how some of your furkids acted after being spayed.

Belle came home monday & seemed more like herself than she had seemed in weeks (we found out that she has an allergy and was broken out but we couldnt see it until her belly was shaved for surgery). Then yesterday she started picking fights with Chumley because she wasnt feeling well & he wanted to play but that I figured was normal since she did have surgery. Today she is planted on our waterbed and is lightly panting. She has hardly eaten or drank anything and gets up to go outside but then immediately wants back in without having done any 'business'. Earlier I called our vet and thought she just might be in some discomfort due to the surgery so he said giving her an aspirn 2 times a day may help with that.

Did any of your kids act this way? When did they start acting like themselves? Am I just being paranoid or should I be worried?
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Worried about Belle after spay surgery

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My mix girl, Dixie, acted that way when she was spayed. She wasn't the hyper puppy that she's always been and she was that way for almost 2 weeks and then it was like over night she was back to herself. I kept my mix boy completely away from her for the 2 weeks she needed to be kept quiet. I didn't want a fight or for them to play too rough and her sutures to come apart. Just think how you would feel though if you'd had your abdomen cut open, your uterus and ovaries remover and then sewed back up. I'm sure I wouldn't wanna do anything either. And as for her going out and not doing her business, those muscles may bother her a lot until she's healed up because it is her abdominal muscles, but if she's actually going at some point through out the day, I wouldn't worry about it. Which, the vet wouldn't/shouldn't send a dog home unless they've had a normal bowel movement and are urinating normally. My girl only peed 3 or 4 times a day during that 2 week span and her normal 1 bowel movement everyday.

It all sounds pretty normal to me.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Here is a link that I keep bookmarked, it is the Merck Veterinary Manual: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

And another link, Over-the-Counter-Medications: http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

It almost sounds like a UTI, but if she is on antibiotics for the surgery, that should take care of that. Did you check for fever?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Lily only seems to be going for a wee 2x a day and poo every 2 days. I think it has something to do with anaesthetic. I wouldn't worry too much
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

As with any patient, you should monitor her condition, which you are doing a great job. Tippsy'smom gave a great reply, and I added the otc link supplied by Jeff&Vicki to my dog folder. (I already had the Merck) I am sure she is not feeling on top of the world right now. I don't remember how long it took Ursa to get to feeling herself, but I do remember it took about two weeks for one of our cats. Being concerned is natural; worrying is not necessary as long as she shows no signs of difficulty. She has good reason to not feel herself.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Thanks everyone, she seems to be doing better today. She has went outside several times today & she is eating. We are keeping her & Chumley seperate most of the time mainly because he doesn't understand & just wants to play/roughhouse like usual :) But atleast she is up and moving around instead of just laying on the bed. Whats neat is the vet must have put the sutures on the inside cause you can barely tell where she was cut (maybe he used that medical glue?). And her rash is looking much better. I dont like her jumping up/down off the bed but the beds arent exceptionally tall & you can only keep them still for so long.

But talk about spoiled...Belle hadn't moved from the center of our bed last night so me & my husband slept on the edges with what little cover we could get a piece of so as not to disturb the princess :-$
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Another update:
Thursday night Bella continued to pant even though she was up eating & going outside. Being a worrier, I called the vet after hours & we took her in Friday morning. He said she had a slight temperature and decided to give her antboitics and an anti-inflamatory pill. But considering that she seriously stresses out being there he didnt want to keep her unless absolutely necessary. The good news is that she stopped panting continuously friday evening. Although she is still really grouchy atleast health wise she seems to be doing better & the vet said not to worry about her jumping as long as its not too high. Whew! I am feeling major relief myself now.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Soooo glad to hear it!! Also glad to know I'm not the only "worrier" out there. :D
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)