"Bubba"

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

RhondaR
Rank 0
Rank 0

"Bubba"

Post by RhondaR »

Bubba goes tomorrow morning to get fixed. He had his bath tonight and has moved inside. He doesn't seem extremely comfortable with being in the house. My other dog (a female Coonhound mix) Bella doesn't seem happy to have him in the living room. She seems to think that is HER place. They are working it out. He is so well behaved inside so far that I can't believe he was an outside dog, do you think his discomfort is just because its a new house? He goes to the back door everytime we move. When we were eating dinner my husband told Bella to go lay down...and he left the room and went to lay down in the kitchen...of course Bella ignored him and just stayed under the table like she always does. I just can't believe the night and day difference between the two dogs.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: "Bubba"

Post by Sirchow »

I cant remember how long you have had Bubba but I know it isn't long. I think there is so much for him to get used to in his new life he is doing pretty well to let you bath him and to come in the house. Give him a few months and he will be a different dog. He is learning so many new things and who knows how he was treated before. Be wary of raising your voice with him as chows dont get on well with shouting (not that I'm saying you did) but just to be aware they are incredibly sensitive about raised voices. You must be doing plenty right to get him indoors, bathed and calm. I think time is the answere here and thank you for taking this beautiful boy in and looking after him properly. Does he respond much to you at the moment?
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

I don't think that Rhonda needs to be told not to scream at Bubba. Her household sounds calm and relaxed and like a great place for a dog to live in!
If Bubba has never lived indoors, of course it is going to take him time to adjust. Sounds like you're doing everything right!
Good luck with the surgery, Bubba! :)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

(not that I'm saying you did)
Meant just that. And I didn't say anything about screaming.......
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Sirchow wrote:
(not that I'm saying you did)
Meant just that. And I didn't say anything about screaming.......
I read the "not that I'm saying you did", but I still didn't get why you mentioned the shouting thing!? Rhonda said nothing that would prompt your remarks on the subject. I would be upset if someone lectured me on not shouting at my dog for no reason, that's why I brought it up! Why did you say that to Rhonda, an animal lover and experienced dog owner who does great with her dogs? I'm still confused! It's kind of like saying, "Don't hit your dog (not that I'm saying you did)!" It goes without saying, and why say it when nothing of the sort is mentioned in the post?
RhondaR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RhondaR »

Well Bubba made it though his surgery just fine. He has had his shots and had some tests. He tested positive for Lyme disease. He is taking his medicines well. (he has an antibiotic for the lyme and some pain meds) I just break a snausage in half and stick a pill in the center and he takes it and comes back for more. He seems to be more comfortable in the living room when Bella isn't there so I think its a territory issue that keeps him out of the living room. He seems to be feeling pretty good. I am going to post a question (seperate from this) on the lyme disease. I can't wait til his stiches come out so I can take him to a groomer to get washed up really well, he is still a bit smelly even after his shower the other day.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Good, bless him. I bet you are glad it is all over. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

I think Sarahloo needs to chill out a little bit. I don't think coming at Sirchow accomplishes anything. I don't think he meant anything negative by his comments. I think we are all adults that can have adult conversations. Don't be so quick to judge.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I think it needs to be left now - raking it up achieves nothing.

Let us just think of the boy Bubba. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Judy Fox, thank you.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

RhondaR give it a little time and eventually Bubba will be comfortable everywhere. I kept 2 male chows in the house together for over 12 years. You may find that at times they like being together in the same room and other times they will be on opposite sides of the house (atleast mine did). Also, you might check out Greenies Pill Pockets. We get them from petsmart when we are in that area and if we run out get them from our vet. Before she passed, Lady had to take 2 pills every morning & 2 more every evening and she always 'chowed' down on them.