UPDATE on Koda

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

crickle_22
Rank 1
Rank 1

UPDATE on Koda

Post by crickle_22 »

Hello Fourm...

I just wanted to fill you in that Koda is now back at the vets and might not be able to come home tonight. For those of you that might not know about Koda.. we got him fixed last Thursday and today his stitches came undone. Depending on what time he wakes up from being under he might not be able to come home. I know that his vets are great people and qualified so he is in good hands but I worry about him. I hope he is okay and that this is the last step before he can heal. :( My poor puppy.
crickle_22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: UPDATE on Koda

Post by crickle_22 »

It's 8pm and Koda is finally home. Apparently the glue came undone and exposed his stitches and he pulled them out. (It was a scary sight). The vets took him in for emergency surgery and stitched him up with a the kind of suture that doesn't disslove so we have to bring him in again in 2 weeks to get them out. last week we spent $500+ and today it was another $90 and in two weeks another $90 (for the sedation)... Everything is so expensive!!!! However, very much worth it if it means that he is going to be better and healthy. Fingers crossed this is the last of our neuturing debacle. :)
I was wondering though... I thought Koda would get a cone the first time so that he couldn't reach the stitches... they said he didn't need one... but then he pulled them out.
They said it again this time that he shouldn't have one.. so he doesn't have it on.. is that common??
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I know my vet doesn't give them, so we went and bought one. Luckily, we didn't have to use it when Dixie was spayed. She flat out left her sutures alone.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Best wishes to Koda. What a scary thing! My vet usually puts the cone on and told me if they leave it alone, they could probably have it off. If they seem to want to bother the incision, keep it on. If you're not home would also be a good time to put the cone on.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I think the vet is being a little irresponsible not using a cone. You can go to petsmart and get one, and personally I would. He's already messed with the incision once and he's very likely to do it again.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
crickle_22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by crickle_22 »

I dont have a petsmart in my town but Im going back home *where I'm from* for the easter weekend... they have a petsmart there so Im going to pick one up. I didnt know I could just go buy one. I will!!!!
I don't understand why they wouldn't but when we asked and tried to push for one they just said that it's actually better for him not to have one and to lick it clean etc.. they said it was better for them. But after he already ripped it open I figured they would give him one.. but they didn't. Instead they used stitches that he has to go get out in another 2wks. Apparently they are harder to take out. AND more expensive.. lol my pocket is crying from these last few weeks. It's okay though, anything that will make him better. I just hope this is the last of the neutering debacle. :)
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

That is weird that they didn't use a cone. All of mine have had them with stiches. Even my cat had one. And yes you can buy them at a pet store. They have some different types too. Just beware that he might not like wearing it. Boogie acts like he is paralyzed when it is on. He won't move at all. And when I prop him up he walks like he is on ice.