First Menstruation

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

First Menstruation

Post by Merlin »

The back yard breeder is the single greatest cause of pet overpopulation. Back yard breeders usually do not have bad intentions, but the results of back yard breeding are devastating.

The majority of homeless or abandoned dogs come from this category in many popular breeds and mixes, they are often destroyed in pounds. Most are sold locally through newspaper ads - the responsibility ends when the purchaser's taillights disappear from sight.

Many back yard breeders do not have the knowledge to properly raise a healthy, socialized litter, or to help the new owner with any problems that might arise.

Back yard breeders may act on a desire to make extra money, or simply out of ignorance. Sometimes back yard breeders will breed so "their children can experience the miracle of birth", or they mistakenly believe "every dog should have one litter." They may think their dog is so cute, he/she would make wonderful puppies, with little or no thought for the homes to which their puppies will go. Other back yard breeders see how much money legitimate breeders charge for pups and figure they could make some "easy money" too. Or, a back yard breeder may have a completely unplanned litter by accident.

Back yard breeders usually bring two breeding animals together regardless of their quality. They are not interested in scientific breeding. Their aim is to fulfill a personal need or goal, not to improve the breed and bring excellent quality dogs to the world. Since breed excellence is generally unimportant, the breeding dogs generally will not have been tested for genetic and health problems.

Back yard breeders are not necessarily bad people, they often come from middle to upper income families, and their dogs can be well loved and kept. However, getting a pup from a back yard breeder is a gamble:

the parents likely have not been screened for health problems

puppies usually are not sold with contracts and no future support to the buyer

the breeders are not in it for the long haul

They will be working on new personal objectives in five years when your pet has a problem and you need help.

Although you might pay less for the breed of your choice from a back yard breeder, it's almost a given that in the long run, you'll pay a good deal more in vet bills and perhaps emotional bills (if the dog has to be euthanized due to a health or temperament problem), than you would from a reputable breeder.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: First Menstruation

Post by Merlin »

Why was this post moved here?
It's not as if I wrote that text. It's from Nomorepuppymills Canada and it's a well known diabtribe of the pittfalls of back yard breeders.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Merlin,
I would say it was moved not due to content, but because it is not Chow specific.

General Discussions: General discussions about Chow Chows.

Community Discussions: Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

There are 170,621 dogs on petfinder today, and that is only Petfinder, many more never show up on there. It's time to stop the insanity. But, as long as there is a profit to be made, there will be unscrupulous breeders.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I don't think so.

This message was in reply to:
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16807

which is a locked topic, yet one of the moderators is selectively posting replies into that subject, even though it's locked.
( I guess this is their way of controlling content)
Better Yet ! Adopt!