security issues?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

security issues?

Post by ciaobella »

Hi,
I've recently had an email from a member that was actually spam from a Canadian Pharmacy, so I'm guessing her account was hacked. I was told by another member that her account had been hacked several months ago, and to not open any mail from one of her accounts. Is there a possibility that our private messages here have been hacked? I have given other members my email addy through this forum, so I'm a little concerned.
thx
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Zhuyos mom

Re: security issues?

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Unless you used a public computer and did not log out, or used a public wifi and was sidejacked, it would be unlikely. Best to change your password and encrypt the new password. Did you receive the email spam via your private email addy or was it sent via cc.org then it was routed to your private email addy?
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

It was private email, the first one was actually from you, but that was months ago. Could be the other person was on your email list, in fact that is probably the case. Agh, I hate technology sometimes. Not related, but I also got a phantom reply notification from an ancient topic that had no reply, very strange.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

ciaobella wrote:It was private email, the first one was actually from you, but that was months ago.
LOL! That was almost two years ago! It's okay. Time flys. I'm pretty sure it wasn't due to this site. Can't say if the other person was on my list, however.

As for the phantom notifications from old threads, it's due to the spammers on this site who pull up a thread and post their stuff. Then us mods take them off, but the notification has already been sent that someone posted. Voila! Phantom reply!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I got the same e-mail. Not sure how it generated, as it said it was from me...I sometimes send myself stuff from one e-mail to another, but I did not think it was one of those. In any event, I think it generated off someone's account who was likely hacked. I don't blame cc.org, however. Sketchy people are all over the web doing God knows what. I was looking at photos and saw one of Sophie in some flowers. Miss you guys!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Yikes! Two years? Time is just whipping past me, how depressing!
I got one of those "from me to me" emails come to think of it. Really pi$$es me off to think there are companies out there that would use my friend's names (and my name, the effrontery!) to try to sell me *Censored Word*. Boy, are they barking up the wrong tree.

Good news for CC.org... I read a general interest forum run by supposedly certified professional smart folks, and its always getting hacked. I don't post there, just read, but it made me wonder how secure other ones were. So, other than spammers postings, you guys are A-OK. Thanks for solving that mystery, it was just... weird.

Sorry I haven't posted, my life is increasingly complicated. I miss you guys too! I'll try to get some pictures up, but Sophie looks like a little dirt spot in the snow, it really isn't her best backdrop. :D
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Miss you too, Sandy! Tiggy sends Sophie a Valentine smooch!

.... and those "no subject" e-mails just keep a'comin, don't they?! Auddymay, change your password on that account :wall:
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Miss you and Sophie, too. Sophie's kindred spirit, Shiloh, and her wayward, brother, Nahkohe, send you our warmest hellos and hugs.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

this has nothing to do with site hacking or weird emails, but just to say that it's good to hear from you, Sandy. Sophie's story has always stuck with me and I missed hearing from you. Glad to know you and she are okay, just busy.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!