Bertie was attacked........

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Bertie was attacked........

Post by Judy Fox »

My daughter Rhiannon telephoned me and told me that her little Bert was attacked while out on a walk with her, by a nasty rotweiller (sp?).

It just picked him up in his mouth and shook him. Several women and some children helped Rhiannon get Bertie off the dog. :(

He wasn't hurt - just very shaken but Bert bit the dog's lip and the owner had the audacity to say "She's going to hear from my solicitor."
I ask you, what a cheek. Anyway, Rhiannon took Bertie straight to the vet for a check over and the vet said his temperature was very high and his little heart was beating far to quickly so he had to have injections to regulate both and a tablet to take when they got home to give him a good sleep.

Rhiannon then took him to the police station and reported the incident. The police told her that that was the fourth incident - the third happened just earlier on the same day. The vet or the police - I cannot remember which told Rhiannon that the last little dog had to have stitches all across its back so Bertie was lucky.

I hope something is done about the ruddy dog. :evil:

Nan was very shaken too.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bertie was attacked........

Post by LEO's mum »

Oh, oh, poor Bertie. Do give him a big hug from me. [:D]

Leonora & mum
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:twisted: that is terrible! I'm so glad that Bertie was not injured and that Rhiannon reported the incident. I hope something is done to make sure the owner is responsible.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you and I will give the little man a hug when next I see him.

The thing is - he is such a jolly little dog and when Rhiannon took him to the police station there were three policemen and one policewoman there and they all gave him a cuddle - they though he was lovely and he is with such a sweet nature.

I just hope that the incident does not spoil the relationship he has with Matilda and Maisie. When he was up here with us for a fortnight in the summer they got on well together and had a wonderful time.

The day following the incident with the rottweiller, they met a large alsation in the park and Bertiejumped up on Rhiannon's legs to be carried until the alsation had passed. Again, the woman who had the alsation on a lead could hardly control him, Rhiannon told me.

Poor little Bert - he is having a rough time and it is a shame 'cos he is such a lovable little fellow.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Oh, poor little guy! I hope he recovers his sense of well being soon. But he may be nervous around very large dogs for a bit. I love Rotties, I think they are wonderful dogs, but they can be a handful and because of their size if you can't handle them you shouldn't have one really, same for Alastian, they are just so large and strong.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

So true Victory.

We have friends who live in a small-holding out in Wales and they have two beautiful rotties. One is called Guinness but I am blowed if I can remember the other's name.

They are beautiful and so friendly and well mannered, especially Guinness.

I asked Tony why the breed has such a bad name and he said it is simple - Rotties need space, excercise and good food. He said that they need meat and biscuit and above all discipline. He pointed out that the bad publicity that the breed attract here on The Island is because some people keep them in terraced houses, with no garden just a back yard ( i.e. they way we describe it here - a walled, paved space behind the house which is usually not very big) and usually in large towns or cities where the dog gets very little excercise and is probably not fed correctly. Same with Alsations.

I hope Bertie is not scared of all the M's when he comes up. He had such a wonderful time with them this summer and he loved cuddling up with Mabel. :D
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm glad Bertie got a bite in...that's the terrier coming out! Poor rotties have the same image problem as Chows, thanks to bad owners like you describe in the tale. Call her solicitor, indeed...she must have him on speed dial.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee! Hee! Audrey! :lol:

Well I am glad Bertie gor a bit in and I am not sorry for the dog but as you say, it is the owner's fault.

Glad our little Bert is ok though.
and he loves the two mini M's as they do him. :D