Introducing a new puppy to my food agressive chow

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

snazzybrit@hotmail.com

Introducing a new puppy to my food agressive chow

Post by snazzybrit@hotmail.com »

Hello-
I currently have a 11 month old (neutered) male chow (Harvey), and currently looking for a smaller breed puppy to join our family. Harvey is extremley friendly for a chow, but definitley has some agressive issues with his food/bones/water dish. Does anyone have any experience dealing with a similiar situation?
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Introducing a new puppy to my food agressive chow

Post by chowhuskylass »

I would suggest you address the resource guarding and aggression before thinking of introducing another animal into the house..I beg you to seriously consider a dog behaviourist to come see you and show you how to deal with this issue. I could talk/write a huge essay on the how too's, but the truth is you will benefit from hands on training more than reading and trying to implement methods, plus i do not know the reason for his food aggression and what the root cause is this may lead to me wrongly advising you and you getting bitten or hurt.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Introducing a new puppy to my food agressive chow

Post by bama »

When I was very young, I made the mistake of introducing a new (younger) chow into our home with our existing chowgirl.
The next day, my chowgirl attacked the young chow and killed him. I learned a lesson the hard way!
I strongly recommend that you wait on getting a new puppy. It would behoove you to deal with the all aggression from
your current chow. Now....your current Chow is at an age where he will most likely be challenging you very strongly for the alpha
position and It doesn't sound as though you are ahead of the game here, by your chow coveting his food bowl.
I have a training instruction thread on this site called Bama Rama Training Method. I urge you to find it and read it.
Good luck,
Bama
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!