Time to try and groom Pekoe again.

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Time to try and groom Pekoe again.

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Well here it is 7 years later and I'm still asking, How do I get Pekoe groomed. As much as I'm against sedating her I'm really thinking about having Pekoe sedated so we can get it all done, coat, teeth and nails.
Anyone ever have their Chow sedated for grooming?. I guess I will have to ask for the isoform sedation (sp) not the shot. Pekoe is 9 now so I don't want to risk harming her.
I wasn't kidding when I said Pekoe looks like the neglected Chow, Fannie I posted at Devil dog ranch, Pekoe looks so bad the other day I was walking her and 2 ladies passed then commented on what a beautiful Chow I had then proceeded to say next time I buy her food I should invest in a brush. Rude but they were right.
kingalls

Grooming Ms. Pekoe

Post by kingalls »

Jeff,
What if you first call a few groomers and see if they are up to the challenge? It may require your attendence and assistance the entire time but that would be better than sedation. We have Mr. N on a 5-6 week schedule because he matts up to much. The Bob Marley look is actually a problem for them. The matting can actually make that area sore or numb at it's worst. Mr. N was an absolute terror during his first grooming. I couldn't believe the groomer was willing to set up another appointment. Each time he is better about being groomed. Pekoe may not appreciate being groomed but she will be even more the prettier without the matting.
I also comb him a little each night just to keep him use to it. I don't get all the areas the groomer does but it keeps him use to the combing and brushing.
Good luck!!
Karen
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Had you thought of giving her a brush as a toy, Jeff or just leaving it around on the floor for her to familiarise herself with then just give her a few brushes every time to get the minute to do so.
These Chows are just so individual arn't they!! :roll:
Anyway, good luck! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe has a drawer full of Combs,brushes and shears, I have enough grooming products to start my own grooming business and she does let us comb her back so she is use to brushes and now has a nicely groomed neck and back but its her sides and rear that looks bad when you touch those areas is when she goes wacko and runs and hides.
I don't know if you remember my past post concerning grooming Pekoe but Pekoe at the groomer and Vets would make Mr. N look like an angel, everyone is afraid of her. I have tried calling groomers and tell them she is a Chow with an attitude just to warn them, the ones that say sure bring her in change their minds once they meet her and either say we can't do it or we have to sedate her.
I did find one groomer once that said they could do it, I left her there came back four hours later all they did was shave a bald strip down her back and left her tangled in hair then said they couldn't do any more they didn't want to traumatize her, rather then take her home with a bald streak down her back 3 of us held her while the groomer shaved her, I didn't want her bald but the damage was done so 2 hours later and $300 I had a bald, extremely mad Chow.
I have had Vets tell me she is the worst that has ever been to their office and I have had groomers say this Chow is crazy and dangerous don't bring her back. Yet this crazy and dangerous Chow has never bitten anyone and loves to sit in the park and watch kids play and loves to have People come and visit and greets them at the door with tail wagging and won't leave until everyone has pet her and says hello.
Just the people she knows though, all others stay at least 2 feet away.
The trouble with Pekoe is she is like a spoiled child, she sets her own rules and even gets to do her own shopping at petsmart, she is so picky I walk her down all the isles and let her shop, if she looks at it she gets it.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Jeff,

That Chow has you completely and utterly under her paw!
I have read your posts and they are so funny - Pekoe has wonderful attitude.
Milly and Mabel are good - we groom them ourselves - however they will not let Fred into their knickers! They will let me sort out inbetween their back legs and Fred can do the outside of their pants. Funny girls!
But, Pekoe wouldn't be Pekoe if she did not act as she does, would she?! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kingalls

Groomer

Post by kingalls »

Jeff,
When I brought Mr. N :twisted: to the groomer's the first time, she asked me to wait as she needed to know if I would have to take Mr. N home because she couldn't groom him. I had no previous experience so I didn't even know it was an option for the owner to leave the pet and retrieve it later. I'm surprised that any of the groomers let you out of the room. My groomer also started out with taking a few breath mints to help mask the smell of fear. We even tried putting a cone on Mr. N so that he couldn't see her but his head was too big for the cone collar. I have to hold his head and hold my hands up to shield him from being able to see her. Our 3 hour appointments cost me $95.00. This is all brushing and trimming - no bath (ha! - like that would ever happen) with me doing all the holding etc. At the end of the appt my arms are shakey from holding Mr. N up cuz he's always leaning away from her.
I don't like the sedation part but if that is the only way, then you may well need to do that. You don't want her matted hair to become a bigger problem....by the way, I can't get to Mr. N's back end either.

Good luck!!
Karen
debbie and bones

milly and mabel and Pekoe

Post by debbie and bones »

Judy - I laughed and laughed at your post saying the girls wouldn't let Fred near their knickers and I thought to myself good for them I wouldn't let Fred near my knickers either!! Ha Just Kidding - couldn't resist.

Jeff, you've probably tried everything with Pekoe, but I did read once if you put the dog high up, he will more likely let you brush? Could you put him in a high place like a table and then lie him down and try? Is there any such thing for dogs like overthe counter tylenol or pain relief you could try just to take the edge off and then try him? He's got me stumped!
Debbie and Bones :mrgreen: