chow pup and small dog pack

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

adams9@att.net

chow pup and small dog pack

Post by adams9@att.net »

I need help i aquired a 9 week chow pup and have many small animals will they grow up to be friends?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: chow pup and small dog pack

Post by Sirchow »

You didn't say what the small animals are so it is difficult to say but in our house we have 1 chow, 1 cavalier spaniel, 2 cats, 1 chinchilla and various other small creatures. Bramble (chow) gets on well with the small spaniel and both cats but I would never leave her and any of the small animals loose together even supervised. She tried to kill a hedgehog in the garden the other day and it was hard to remove it from her so I definitely wouldn't risk small pets. Chows have very strong pray drive and it is the quick movement of small animals that activates it as much as anything. Cats need time to become accustomed to dogs so need safe places only they can go till they are ready to be friends. Our two cats now boss our chow about but they were terrified of her when we got her at nine weeks.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.

Post by Guest »

I have two big cats that have already told Louie where to go, and the kittens are about his age and already adjusting to him. I have a mutated three pound chihuahua who every one says looks like a little rat, he is the one that i am worried about, but Louie has started to open up and show that he has a great personality. We went to pets mart to meet lots of people and dogs and it went over beautifuly. (did have to buy 17 dollar toy that he slimed im passing, so adorable fell asleep using it as pillow in car) will post pics wheni can get he is facinated with camera and only get fuzzy blurrs
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

It sounds like he is settling in well and from what I know of chihuahuas they have a tendency to be pretty bossy so dont be surprised if chihuahua ends up the boss. We worried about our chow squashing our cavalier but Alfie is so much more nimble than Bramble that it has never happened yet. Bramble does sometimes lie on him in games but when he shrieks she gets off him quickly. Now we just need some pictures. We seem to have quite a few Louie's here on the site at the moment. So welcome and get snapping. :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I adopted Carter as an adult, with no knowledge of his history with any other animals, and I got lucky.

He started off being afraid of our cats, now he pretty much ignores them. Every once in awhile when he's in a zoomie mood, he will kind of do a play bow to one of them and even pretend to pounce! He has snapped a few times when they get near his food, but they soon learn to stay away. Overall, he's good with the cats and has never hurt one. I have even found a shed cat claw in his muzzle once and everyone was still in one piece.

Dogs, he will say hi to for a minute. Once in awhile he will find one he likes and will try to play with them. If they are younger and get in his face, he will give them a warning snap. He ignores our older English Setter (Cash is a big dumb dumb and drives Carter crazy. He just tries to ignore and avoid him.)

I can't really say too much more as I didn't get Carter as a puppy, but he did adjust to my other animals, and they to him.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Luna's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luna's Mom »

This post is so cute and funny. My huge chow has 2 cats and her other best friends are 2 tea-cup teeny, tiny Chihuahuas and a young, but full grown, Great Dane.
The most amazing part of this story is - I have a great-grandson (baby) named Carter Cash ! For real !!!
Luna's Mom