Beginner: I need help

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

JONAH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Beginner: I need help

Post by JONAH »

Hi All,

I'll be getting my chowchow on July 4th and she is just a 2-month old baby. I have an 8-year old dalmatian and I did a little research and I came to realize that handling is very different for my new baby. I've got a lot to learn and Im willing to learn everything for my new baby..

Thanks.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Beginner: I need help

Post by Sirchow »

Hi and welcome to the site. CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby and we will want to see lots of pix. There is so much good information in all the different sections have a good read and ask any questions as there are very experienced owners here who can help with most things. Do you have a name picked yet?
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Hi Jonah and welcome. You must be really excited to get your new puppy soon!
Is it a boy or a girl, and which color did you choose?
The puppy will need to sleep a lot, have you planned to have him sleep away from your dalmatian? I heard dalmatians are beautiful but very active dogs (compare to my lazy chow!).
If you have any picture already, please post :wink: !
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
JONAH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JONAH »

Thank you very much.

Her name is Masha, she is a brown. I dont really know if that helps. I'll get my baby on July 4th and I will post her picture by then.

My dalmatian even though he is 8 years old, he is still active and very playful. I'll try to post some pictures.
JONAH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JONAH »

thanks. Im from the Philippines. Currently its a bit cold in here because of the rainy season until the first quarter of next year so I think itll be just fine. I will buy a dog cushion for my baby because I really dont have the plan of putting her on a cage so i think i would really need help in training my baby. that is the major challenge for me. I work in a call center and Im usually out around 3pm and I usually arrive at 1.30 am and beside the time management, it is going to be the first time that i will thoroughly train a dog.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I don't crate Coco myself so I understand, but as you will be out of the house for long hours, can I suggest you separate your little Masha from the grown up dalmatian while you are away. Another room, door closed or with a baby gate. Masha will need sleep and you don't want her to mouth at the dalmatian all day long too.
Can you have someone visiting the dogs while you are away? Puppy needs to pee after each nap, each play session, every 2 or 3 hours. If you cannot have somebody to take Masha out, buy puppy pads and teach her to do her business on them. Chows are really clean, they don't like to do their business in their home, even at 8 weeks.
Also, buy her some toys she could chew on while you are away.
Can you have a few days off for the first days with Masha in her new home?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Welcome to the site. Congrats on the new puppy. You are about to know the most amazing creature you will ever meet. This puppy will reward your love with undying devotion and protection of you. The puppy will also challenge you at every turn, always testing limits.

As above, your puppy will not be able to be alone for your entire shift. The puppy will need to pee and eat more often than an adult. And interaction with humans is a huge part of the pups education at this point. If you live alone and don't have a neighbor, family member, friend that is willing to help out when you are at work, you may need to hire help. If you live in a college town put a post up for a dogwalker/playmate for your furkids. Here you can go to the college and put up notices in student centers, job placement centers, even in the housing offices. Or call your vet and ask if they have any recommendations. (I admit to no knowledge whatsoever of how this would work in your area, though).

I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure you don't leave the puppy alone that long. When I got my first two chows, I lived close enough to work to go home on my lunch hour and let them out and feed them and let them out again. Now if I ever were to get a puppy again, I would have to have "grandma" come over midday to care for the puppy. Chows are attached to humans and in this critical stage as their personalities are forming, they need to know that humans will care for them when they need it.

Please read the training forum. There are wonderful ideas/plans that can be of great help to you.

And always ask questions. There are amazing people here with great insight and suggestions. I have found both answers and understanding here when I needed it most.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
JONAH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JONAH »

thank you,

its going to be my mom who will look after my baby after I leave the house and soon enough my dad and brother. My entire family is really into pets. I also have 4 coys and a flowerhorn and my mom had a lovebird.

Douglas (dalmatian) doesnt really stay inside the house because he will surely destroy everything!!!! He had his own cage besides, he is a bit old so he kinda love sleeping all day long unless it weekends so we get to walk him outside. I actually bath him just before I left today.