dad can we turn on the airconditioning

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

dad can we turn on the airconditioning

Post by Dogdad »

Hi eveyone,

it is a whopping 74 degrees here and both Maxine and Yoshi are panting. Yoshi spent a few minutes in his new pool but Maxine hasn't figured it out yet. Poor girl. This year I am trying to cut down on the electric bill. I was wondering at what temperature do you turn on the air conditioning? Last year we kept the house at 72. I took Maxine in the basement in hope that she realizes it is cooler there, but if I am not there, she comes upstairs to visit me. They are far more used to cool weather than hot weather

DAvid
Auddymay

Re: dad can we turn on the airconditioning

Post by Auddymay »

Maxini is from Musquito...um skeetown...lol. She has likely experienced some hot temperatures. How about them noseeums out now! Anyway, she will slow down some, and find shade and breeze on her own. Plus very early and late walks will help alot, which I am sure you already know. Man, I just looked out at the lilac bushes...gonna be a bumper crop this year!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Dogdad wrote:Hi eveyone,

it is a whopping 74 degrees here and both Maxine and Yoshi are panting. Yoshi spent a few minutes in his new pool but Maxine hasn't figured it out yet. Poor girl. This year I am trying to cut down on the electric bill. I was wondering at what temperature do you turn on the air conditioning? Last year we kept the house at 72. I took Maxine in the basement in hope that she realizes it is cooler there, but if I am not there, she comes upstairs to visit me. They are far more used to cool weather than hot weather

DAvid
It's not quite that warm here yet, though we did have two days in the 80's already. I have the fan on and I'm going to try and just use those until it gets about 78-80+ then the AC will be put in and turned on. It's not the heat so much here in Minnesota it's the humidity...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Acouple of weeks ago it was in the high 80's here...can you believe.
Finally when my house registered almost 90 I bit the bullet...I never turn the A/C on before June but JR, Cheyenne and I were almost very well done fried eggs and none of us could move!!!
This year will be hard being unemployed. I used to leave the A/C on 78 when I worked but now being home...I will have to work on it..probably leave it at 76 unless we can bear higher. I think now that I am home I will get the the fur kids an inexpensive kiddie pool.
I am cutting every corner I can right now. I cook at least 3 meals at one time...either eat it for 3 nights or freeze portions.

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

We don't have AC. A couple of weeks ago we had 100 degree weather...we were all wilting...no walkies :cry: fortunately, we have the evening fog off the west coast which helped to cool off the evening...we ran the ceiling fans all night long. The day of our first ChowFest, the temps got to a record 112 degrees. When we were driving home from the ChowFest, my car temp display started climbing and we thought it was broken - NOT! Got home with a couple of very tired Chowren - put out the fan with a bowl of ice water - and the electricity went out :evil: It was a long hot night!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

We keep it at 75. It can feel a lot hotter here with the humidity, but I just refrigerate Ivana's water and that seems to keep her happy. Sometimes when it gets to feeling too hot I will add some ice cubes and she really likes that.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am just thinking how unfair the world is. I started the car this am and it tells me the temp - 7 degrees which is 44 in your part of the worl. I WANT SOME HOT WEATHER. I have just booked an expensive holiday I really cant afford to get some sun in Italy at the begining of July. I would love to know that we would even get Summer never mind a hot one. Last year Summer was three days in May and I was working. I missed Summer!!!

Rant over now - I promise.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

it does seem a bit unfair heres me sitting in the kitchen in a fleece freezing its blowing a gale outside and lola loves it over here if you blink you miss summer its usually wet wet wet :lol:
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

We have high humidity so it feels warmer than what it is. We are in the transition from winter to spring. This morning it was 32 degrees f or 0 celcius. The furkid love this temperature. I opened all the windows so the house can cool down a bit

David
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

We've been running the a/c for quite a while now. It's been in the 90s for about a week or two...and humid. I splurge now since I'm packing and moving...I get too hot, so I keep it around 68-70. I get my energy break in the winter...I think I ran my heater three times (two times because of houseguests) this past winter. I can't wait to move into my one story house...I think the a/c will be much more efficient.

I had a kiddie pool...it only faded in the sun and attracted mosquitos. I gave it away on craigslist. :?
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Seems we never turn the AC off for very long. I've had it on with the exception of a few days here and there since I can't remember when. Keep it in the lower 70's for the most part. Yesterday it was miserably HOT outside in the lower 90's with high humidity, felt like it was 100 and we had an outside 1 yr olds B-Day party at someone elses house. Poor babies were soooooo hot. Our 1 yr old almost overheated and was sooooo red in the face that Jennifer took her to her van and turned the AC on and had to wipe her down with a cold rag......HOT HOT HOT couldn't wait for it to be over and they had everything so nice.....BUT darn it was HOT!!!
Seems way hotter than it usually is in first part of May so this is going to be ONE HOT SUMMER!!!
LOL Red, I always keep ice water out for the girls when it starts to get up in the 90's.....Kyra still LOVES to stick her feet in when she plays to keep cool and still tries to dig in the water bowl.
Send us some of your cooler weather would ya Yoshi???

Thanks Sweetpea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

PLEASE Yoshi.....Pretty PLEEEEEZZZZE???
Lov, Kearra & Kyra

Thanks Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Yoshi here,

I think I got the weather all messed up. I will try to send you some cold weather.I tried to get snow this morning and we got rain. Maxwell didn't show me how. It is still frosty here in the mornings and on good days we have ice on the kiddie pool. Maxine says come on over this summer and we can go play in the swimming pool and chase rabbits

yoshi
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Hey Yoshi, Kyra here, we haven't had any rain in weeks either so we could use some of that too, I love to get muddy paws and run on Mom's new carpet \:D/ if you get it all figured out on how to send it down here, that would work out for me too. :wink: Maxinie, Mom keeps saying we are going to run away from home so maybe I can get her to come and visit cuz I LOVE to chase critters.....would love to chase one of those big dogs with horns with you and I actually caught a rabbit once so that would be GREAT FUN!! I have to trick her into driving that far though......wonder if I tell her a BIG hurricane is coming she will take us up there????

Thanks Sweetpea!
VioletD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VioletD »

Wow. I guess I'm lucky I live in CT. We get our really cold days in the winter, really hot days in the summer, but most of the time it is pretty nice. Today is great. About 68 and sunny...a bit breezy, but nice. We've had a week of rain but the temps have been okay. No heat on in the house and no need for AC...yet. Koko loves to sit out on the deck and there is both sun and shade there! Hope the summer isn't a scorcher cause I worry about Koko when I'm gone all day! Happy Mother's Day!!!
Violet
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

K & K,

Teddy here: If you go see Yoshi and Maxine, please stop on the way by. We have had lots and lots of rain here and I can smell that Mom and Dad made fluffy dirt in the garden lately so it will be easy to get muddy. I can't get in there by myself because there is a fence, but I bet with your help we could figure out the gate. And, I love chow girls and chasing critters. (Mom is always amazed when I catch, them #-o ).

Cinder here: If you stop by, please take Teddy with you. He is very big and keeps lying on my rug! He even touches me sometimes so I have to get up and move to a much less desirable spot. He keeps forgeting this is my house and I just let him stay here cause Mom asked nice and explained he didn't have a home. But he has been here for a very long time. Maybe your home needs a new chow?????
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Humph!! I am saying nothing!

Siriol are you sure summer last year was 3 days - I could have sworn it was 3 and a half days!! 8-}
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)