Will my dog "attack"?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Will my dog "attack"?

Post by bama »

This is a video I saw on utube.
This video demonstrates how NOT to interact with a dog.
I watched it. It upset me, because I'm concerned this kid will be hurt by this huge dog one day.
The dog and the child, both are innocent, because neither has received any training.
So, when the dog, plays too rough with the child, it will be considered an attack, and the
dog will be put down. This is the sad truth behind many so called, "dog attacks".
This is a wake up call to parents...please teach your children how to interact with a dog.

I'd like to make this thread a constructive one, to help dog owners OF ANY BREED to be aware, training is needed
for ALL dogs...and children.

I'll let the dialog begin...what would you guys do differently ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvN8SLpeyQw
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Will my dog "attack"?

Post by Jeff&Peks »

?
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Sorry, I had to re-do the link. :oops:
I believe it is working now.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

They forgot to include the trailer in the video, People are people they will never learn until its to late,The more you warn them the stupider they become. "Don't leave your kids in the car" so what do they do? there is more babies frying in cars now then before they warned them. Gee I hope I didn't upset anyone, culture or religion that leaves their kids and dogs locked in the car while they run into Wal-mart.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

For starters, you don't allow your dog to put his mouth on your arm like that, that is just asking for trouble. Like you said, a play sesson could end up getting rough and someone could get hurt.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The question is, How many of you if you saw that happening would stop and say something to the owners? answer: NONE, so life goes on. Most would say "I thought about it", "I wish i would have", "I would have but" and the best one "I didn't want to offend anyone"

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Jeff&Peks wrote:The question is, How many of you if you saw that happening would stop and say something to the owners? answer: NONE, so life goes on. Most would say "I thought about it", "I wish i would have", "I would have but" and the best one "I didn't want to offend anyone"
I have corrected many of the kids in my neighborhood about incorrect handling of dogs and how to deal with dogs, and I will continue to do so, even if it is not politically correct.
Sam

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Who's job is it to educate the hooman?
We want parents to teach their children the do's and don'ts, but who teaches them?
Most parents think they have done their job, when they tell the kid,
"a dog is a big responsibility, you have to feed it and clean up after it"...PERIOD!
That's all they know!
Should Vets do more educating? Should the shelters and pet peddlers do more educating?
Should the Humane Society do more to educate?
I really don't know.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I think schools should......they educate the future parents, who then educate the children. Didn't they used to have 4'H Clubs or something like that??? Dang its been a LONG TIME :oops: my Vet was telling me yesterday when I brought Kyra in that she went to the Primary when their ginny pig had babies there, and told them all about Ginny pigs and how to care for them, what they ate, and how they played and then allowed the children to ask LOTS questions(1st graders) :lol: :lol: She told them just to shout out their questions and the teacher said "OH No they have to raise their hands" :lol: She said she had a great time and the kids were adorable and had very good questions

Thanks Sweetpea!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

They still have 4H clubs, it's seperate from regular school. Here is the one for Alabama, each state should have an Extension Service. http://www.aces.edu/4hcenter/
Sam

PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Get involved....

I have taken many animals, Chi-Ching included to my kids classes and have taught them about the breed, and just dog ownership in general.... kids LOVE Q&A..... There is no reason why you can't volunteer to bring your dog to a school class even if you do not have a kid in school......

You know the saying it takes a village to raise a child.......that hasn't changed.... the village just got bigger and their are more children!
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Can we say, the absolutely wrong way to deal with a Rottie? It's a good thing the Rottie in the video is pretty mellow. The problem would come if the dog interacted with another child like that. No dog should ever be allowed to grab a human like that unless they are somekind of rescue dog and are pulling an injured human from some kind of trap. running away from the dog and triggering its prey drive was pretty stubid as well, the child acted half afraid of the dog, when he was saying no he didn't do it with the kind of conviction a rottie or other assertive breed needs to be handled.

I've felt that there was a need for strong education of children to how to interact with dogs correctly. And I have been one to do so, when it's needed. I hate to see children grow up with the wrong information. Usually it is the childs and the dogs who pay for the lack of knowledge.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I don't know where this rottie and child are from. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing
it is a rural state? Anyway, a rural area, somewhere.
I did leave feedback for the folks who posted the video.

Victory, you are right on all points!
Purple Kisses...if only Chingers could visit these folks in school?

Vicster, I agree with you! If schools can teach our children about *Censored Word*, they can surely
have a dog expert come in and speak to them concerning animal/dog care.
After all, the majority of the kids probably have some kind of pet at home.

Red Dragon, 4-h is a good resource. Maybe, as a project, the 4-h could produce a training session for
all the students to attend?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.