Get Ready for the Backlash

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Get Ready for the Backlash

Post by TJordan »

I think it is entirely possible that the babies noise and movement could have triggered the prey instinct in the dog. I mean it had only been there 2 weeks at most, probably less. The dog hadn't learned yet what it was and how to treat it. The bottom line is that it was not a smart move to leave a baby in mouth distance of a dog. All of this is human error. I am not defending the dog as much as saying it never would have happened without human error. The same ol' story, people just don't think sometimes.
SweetPea Rocks!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I believe we are fueling the flames of the fire every time we refer to this golden retriever/chow mix as a CHOW.
Jeff called it correctly, it is a mix. Lou, called it correctly, the term "attack" is irresponsible.
We shouldn't get on board with the media's sensationalism of this story.
All citizens should hold the media accountable for truth and accuracy in their stories.
How else will the public be served?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Call the dog whatever breed makes you all feel better. Describe its actions in whatever way best rationalizes it for you. The plain, unvarnished facts are that it killed a baby. Nuff said. It is a no-brainer that it had to be put down. You all need to get a grip.

Tony
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I would agree with you on your attack point. However, if a mix is half chow it is still a chow. Of course that is assuming that it really is mixed with chow. I have not seen a picture of the actual dog yet. So there is no telling if it is actually a chow or not. You know how any time a dog has a purple mouth or curly tail they think it is a chow. But if it is a chow mix it is still a chow in my book.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Nobody is arguing the point that the dog killed the baby. And as you point out, if breed is irrelevant then why does the media keep pushing the word chow. The fact is Stupid humans created the situation.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Guard the baby---- the dog is in the house! That seems normal to you??? Another sign of the apocolypse.

Tony
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Not guard the baby. But perhaps we could use a little common sense. Don't leave the baby in mouth reach of any animal. I think this is common sense. Do you think it is normal to put a 2 week old baby in the floor (or bassinet) next to the dog and leave the room? And on top of that stupid move, there were multiple dogs in the house. If this is something you would do then perhaps your common sense is lacking as well.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Tony wrote:Call the dog whatever breed makes you all feel better. Describe its actions in whatever way best rationalizes it for you. The plain, unvarnished facts are that it killed a baby. Nuff said. It is a no-brainer that it had to be put down. You all need to get a grip. Tony
Joining a discussion on a chow forum and not registering yourself and telling us to get a grip? Look in the mirror, Tony. You're the one who needs to get a grip. We all know about the breed. Do you? Doubtful. The plain, unvarnished fact is the death of the infant was caused by human neglect. It takes the same moment to place the 2 week old infant on top of a bed or in it's crib, as it did for the mother to go to the bathroom. If the child was in a moses bassinet, that particular one was created to be transportable since it is made with braided wicker; or call the dog to come shadow you to the bathroom. Either way, the plain, unvarnished fact is the mother will be haunted all her life. Hopefully the couple's marriage will survive such a tragic event. As for the chow mix/golden retriever mix... are they sure it was that dog that bit the infant? They had other dogs there. Just because the chow mix was the one pacing up and down the home (according to one of the many articles of this incident), doesn't make it the guilty dog. As chow parents, we here know chows are extremely sensitive to the emotions of their parents/owners/handlers and often take in and reflect (aka MIRROR) the anxiety of their parent/owners/handlers at that moment. The articles doesn't say if any of their other dogs were inside and had access to the baby.

Should the infant have drowned in 2 inches of water while in a infant bath tub with the parent momentarily taking their focus off the infant to reach for something, the plain, unvarnished facts are the parent would be accountable for the neglect of their child. Same principle here. It is a no-brainer the parent was negligent to leave their 2 WEEK old unsupervised. Maybe her common sense lapsed because she had to pee so badly, but what killed their baby - cause and effect.
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

I see your point as well but i think the thing we are all saying is that there should have never been an opportunity for such a young child to be bitten or attacked or whatever. I don't know anyone who would leave an enfant within biting distance of any animal be it a rabbit a bird a cat a chow or a lion. I understand that the dog did bite and kill a baby and yes its a tradgedy but don't know if it should be put down because of human error. Maybe i'm wrong that's just my opinion.

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Tony wrote:Call the dog whatever breed makes you all feel better. Describe its actions in whatever way best rationalizes it for you. The plain, unvarnished facts are that it killed a baby. Nuff said. It is a no-brainer that it had to be put down. You all need to get a grip.

Tony
Yep its to bad the baby died but babies die everyday, more babies are killed in one hour by human stupidity and greed compared to a maybe once a year dog attack. The point of what breed it was is because we all own Chows and we already hear enough BS about Chows every time we walk out the door with out the news trying to glorify the story with a vicouse Chow attack. I doubt you have candles burning at home because of the babies death and I doubt you gave the death a second thought and your day went on as always so don't waste your time preaching.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

My point was not a challenge whether purebred or not, but rather concerning the reporting of the facts by the media.
If the dog is a mix, then it should be reported as such...period. Without the facts, the chow genes carry the entire burden
of this tradgedy. The backlash could be chow-phobia, causing many chows to be needlessly euthanized.
Because, there is so much at stake here, the facts need to be truthful and correct.

Let's talk about common sense....

I agree with TJ, common sense is needed.
Never leave a baby unattended, with any animal, or small children for that matter.
I would never leave a child vulnerable to anything.
Where's the common sense???

Once, I had an adorable next door neighbor, who left her baby in a high chair, eating a snack, while she came to my house
for a visit.
I was horrified and sent her home!
Where's the common sense???

Currently, in my neighborhood, there is a young father, who plays with his child on the large boulders in the river.
I saw this father put his 3 year old up on a rock, then walk about 30 feet away. This may not sound bad, however if the child
had tried to move and fell into the rapids, it could have easily killed the child. There is no way the father could have reached the child,
to save her, because he had to climb over boulders before reaching the child. At that point she would have been gone.
If I could have reached that father, I would have given him a strong lesson in parenting! I cringed to watch that!
The next time, I call the police!
Where's the common sense????
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Excellent point Lou, the baby should have been secured, before mom went to the bathroom. I thought about their marriage, as well, thinking
I hope they survive this. I'm sure they are lovely people, however this careless act will probably haunt them for the rest of their lives. So sad.
Another good point, other dogs in the house...did anyone see it happen?

You are right Lou, "cause and effect".

***I could see Colonel innocently pulling a baby out of a bassinet. He loves his toys and pulls toys out of his toy box all the time.
A two week old baby could likely appear as a new toy.
There are other dogs, who are nurturing types, who might pull an abandoned baby out of a bassinet to care for it.
There are several possibilities, however, "attack" doesn't appear to be the case in this story.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Based upon the news story, I "GOOGLED" the word "Chow" and thereby made it to your site. I was curious about the breed and was thinking you folks would shed some light upon how a family dog could do such a thing. Little did I expect to run into such a hornets nest of warped, twisted thinkers. You all act as though the dog bears no responsibility whatsoever for the death of the baby and that it is all the mother's fault. Folks------- that is sick thinking. Any breed that would have you all as owners has two strikes against it already. I am sure that Chows, like any other breed, are fine dogs IF properly raised. Hopefully there are other Chow organizations better representing the breed.

Tony
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I can give you Chow advice, Your not the type of person nor have the personality that would be suited to own a Chow, Maybe you should check out another breed or better yet check out the Chihuahua forums your not Chow material. To be a Chow owner you need some common since and be able to understand what you are reading and not jump criticizing when you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chihuahua.htm
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Tony

Post by Tony »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I can give you Chow advice, Your not the type of person nor have the personality that would be suited to own a Chow, Maybe you should check out another breed or better yet check out the Chihuahua forums your not Chow material.
Peks,

Why don't you crawl back under whatever rock you slithered out from underneath of. You are really an obnoxious piece of work.

Tony
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Tony wrote:
Jeff&Peks wrote:I can give you Chow advice, Your not the type of person nor have the personality that would be suited to own a Chow, Maybe you should check out another breed or better yet check out the Chihuahua forums your not Chow material.
Peks,

Why don't you crawl back under whatever rock you slithered out from underneath of. You are really an obnoxious piece of work.

Tony
Thanks, I do try. Yet I don't waste my days visiting Forums I know nothing about then have the stupity to argue with people.

ImageImage
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

I usually don't post my opinions on such topics, but, a baby (especially that young) or child should never be left alone not even for one second, dog or no dog. Why didn't she just take the baby into the bathroom? It was a horrible accident but she is ultimately at fault. Yes the dog did do a horrible thing but how was it supposed to know that you cant grab a baby by the head after all that is what its mother did... The dog did not shake it or tear it apart so it doesn't seem like some fierce attack (Just guessing by the tone of the article). Dogs are animals and it seems like people forget that when they bring them into their home.

Any breed is capable of killing. In these types of stories I wish they would just leave out the breed.

Personally my dogs are only allowed around children with supervision, more for the dogs sake than anything else. Those little devil children can be cruel.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Thanks, I do try. Yet I don't waste my days visiting Forums I know nothing about then have the stupity to argue with people.
Exactly Jeff. This is a community for people who love and want to protect the Chow Chow breed. Not for people who are jumping on the band wagon of a news story and trying to stir the pot.

Tony, if you look through this forum you will find much useful information about Chow Chows. Just take a look in the photo section of "Chow and Kids, any questions?" You will see what a trust worthy breed the Chow Chow is and how they can interact with children. With proper supervision, of course, as any dog of any breed should have when interacting with children. =;

The story now says it was a chow/golden mix. Take a look at the second picture of my signature-the golden girl with a bone in her mouth is a chow/golden mix. She is the sweetest girl with the best personality. I.E. when in Petsmart, she has to go up to every person and say hi/give kisses. However, I still would not leave her alone or unsupervised around a baby or toddler because I know though she would never intentionally hurt a child, she doesn't understand how easily she could hurt them. She would never realize the wrongness behind her actions if she hurt the baby - which would not be due to aggression in the least. THAT is why we all say it is the mother's fault, not the dog's.
ImageImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Well-said, Chow Chow Mama!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Let's just say that Chows need owner who are at least as intelligent as they are! Tony you do not qualify.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Tony

Post by Tony »

TJordan wrote:Let's just say that Chows need owner who are at least as intelligent as they are! Tony you do not qualify.
My oh my. You all are a nasty little gang of pea-brained losers, are't you? No wonder they quarantined you all here.

Tony
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Tony,
You came to this site, to see if we could shed some light on how a family dog could do such a thing, right?
We are trying to tell you, however you are not listening. Truth be known, I think you came here hoping to
hear more horror stories of how awful chows are!!!! :twisted: :twisted: You won't get that
from people who actually have chows, because like this story, many stories are embellished with
sensationalism.
Interestingly, you haven't made friends here. Possibly, you should ask yourself why?
Maybe, because you are unwilling to hear the answer to your query....
Obviously, you are missing this point;
We are all saddened by the loss of the baby, that has been established already.
We are also saddened when our breed is
mis-represented, as it has been in this news story. There was no, "attack".
When the media prints a negative story about a breed, especially when they loosely toss
around the, "A-word, ATTACK" that breed suffers unfairly, as do their owners.
This story will most likely cause fear of chows, therefore, chows in animal shelters will be the first ones
killed. This story will be used by municipalities to list chows on their "dangerous breed" list,
outlawing them in their city. All of this fear, based on false representation by the media.
So, you see, it does effect us and our beloved breed. So, if there is a story involving a chow,
gosh darn it, it had better be accurate, or we are all over it!!!
The other point is, and I will spell it out.....
NEVER LEAVE A SMALL CHILD UNATTENDED WITH ANY KIND OF ANIMAL!
If this woman is smart enough to be a cop, she is smart enough to know better than to
leave a baby alone with an animal. If you would leave your baby on the floor, vulnerable
to an animal, then you are an idiot and should not procreate. We already have enough
idiot parents in the world.

"NUFF" said.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
nuke

Post by nuke »

How come Tony's name doesn't have any info under it, like number of posts. etc. No profile to view? Just curious.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

He's not registered - he's posting as a Guest.
ImageImageImage
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

This story is so sad... my heart goes out to all involved, but the baby should NOT have been left alone with the dog no matter what.

But today I walked into my science class, binder in hand(it has pictures of Tippsy and Jasper ALL over it) and my teacher looks at me and says "did you hear about the chow that "attacked" that baby?" I just bit my tounge and went to my seat. I wanted to say something but I didn't. :evil:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix