Get Ready for the Backlash

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How horrible

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I was just getting ready to post this. It says it was a chow who did it... Just what we need in the news.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29530295/
ImageImageImage
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Get Ready for the Backlash

Post by Desi »

"The Chow was put to sleep by animal control earlier today.The couple has other dogs,it's not clear what bree they are and what will happen to them"

I wonder if the other dogs were in the ame room,and why the mother didn't worry about simple things,like the dogs knocking over the crib while chasing eachother.
Either way,it's too late for the baby and for the dog.
You'd hope people learn from stories like this one,but it will just keep happening over and over.

I had a husky when my girls were 2 and 5.(And 3 cats and 20 smaller pets ).
I was a single mom.My house had hooks and eyes like these
on every door.High enough so only I could open them.Simple way to keep babies,dogs and cats in the room they're supposed to be in.
My husky was super gentle with the girls,and never ate a cat ,but why take a chance?
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29530295/

This kind of crap just makes me sick. The poor chow is going to be put down I'm sure.
ImageImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How horrible

Post by bama »

It is horrible. Why a mom would leave a baby alone, even for a moment, in a room with any dog is beyond me?
I wouldn't allow my dogs, even the little ones to be close to my grandbaby, Ethan, unless I was in arms-length!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Well, there's my answer... :evil:
ImageImageImage
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

How sad. Poor baby and poor chow. It will be interesting to see what the autopsy says is the cause of death for the baby. A baby would be pretty hard for a chow to lift out of a crib and especially in just the time it takes to go to the bathroom. I could understand it a little more if the baby were lying on the floor or the couch but how would a chow reach in to a crib and lift a baby up and over the edge? There has to be more to the story. I was hoping they would wait on killing the chow until they investigated a little but it is too late for that now. I wonder if we will ever hear the rest of the story.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I'm sure you will hear about the Chow attack for the next two weeks on the news or untill a Monkey or Pitt kills a whole family but the outcome of the story and family will have to come from a Local.

NUKE!!! You have to move back to Arizona to cover this story for us.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Arizona is nothing like California and I'm pretty sure the fact that it was a Chow will not be a big deal at all. The story will be a blip on the radar.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Tell that to CNN and Nancy Grace and the rest of the Bozo's that will turn this into a 911 event. Husband and wife police officers, 2 week old baby, vicouse dog attack, surrre that won't be a news story.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... 05-ON.html

The writers were irresponsible for using the word "attacked". Like a 2 week old baby can even see moreover provoke a dog to become aggressive and go into "attack" mode.

Sad for the family. They lost their baby and they lost a "trusted" family pet. Sad also for the mom. She'll be haunted forever for the choice she made. The bassinet must have been a "moses" bassinet and it lays on the floor, because I've been taking care of a new grandbaby and Bruin, who could easily be the height of a Golden Retriever, would have to topple a standard bassinet to get to the baby. The article above states the"dog" was a golden retriever/chow mix (contrary to the news video on one of the other links where the news reporter says "the dog was a chow similiar to the one in the photo" - photo was of a pure breed). :evil: the reporter zones in and accuses the chow half for the tragedy!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Lou, I agree with you, it was irresponsible for the reporter to use the term, "attack".
I have a feeling the chow/retriever mix was moving the baby, as one would move a puppy.
Regardless, it is a horrible situation for all.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
nuke

Post by nuke »

I really don't think the dog was just moving the baby. Dogs can be very gentle when moving puppies and even human babies. The article said the baby had severe head wounds. The dog may have been jealous of the new babie, who knows?

Just because we all love dogs and especially our chows, does not mean that dogs do snap and hurt people, for whatever reason.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Dogs move things with their mouth and teeth and use what ever force it takes to move it just like you use what ever force it takes to move something with your hands. a dog can move its puppies around by the nap of their neck a human baby doesn't have that. If it was an attack that baby would have been ripped not bitten. You guys way understate the damage an attacking dog can do and it sure wouldn't be a few bites to the head, it would be more like brain splatter all over the walls. Ever see a Chow kill something, they not only bit but they shake it violently that baby would have been in pieces not bites. The Chow was trying to help not trying to kill. This is why I say dog bites need to be investigated by people that know what they are doing Not people like nuke that think all dogs bits, snaps and scraps are going for the kill.

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Dogs move things with their mouth and teeth and use what ever force it takes to move it just like you use what ever force it takes to move something with your hands. a dog can move its puppies around by the nap of their neck a human baby doesn't have that. If it was an attack that baby would have been ripped not bitten. You guys way understate the damage an attacking dog can do and it sure wouldn't be a few bites to the head, it would be more like brain splatter all over the walls. Ever see a Chow kill something, they not only bit but they shake it violently that baby would have been in pieces not bites. The Chow was trying to help not trying to kill. This is why I say dog bites need to be investigated by people that know what they are doing Not people like nuke that think all dogs bits, snaps and scraps are going for the kill.
Jeff, about two years ago I was bitten in the face by a Chow that I knew well. It didn't rip my face off, it just sent me to the emergency room with one fast bite that nearly took an eye out and left me with some scaring.

And for your information, at the hospital, I refused to report what kind of dog it was and I refused to even tell them anything about the dog or where the incident happened.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

nuke wrote:
Jeff, about two years ago I was bitten in the face by a Chow that I knew well. It didn't rip my face off, it just sent me to the emergency room with one fast bite that nearly took an eye out and left me with some scaring.
Did it kill you?

Now the question is what did you do to get bit, Let me guess, You didn't do anything you were just going to pet it. Yeah I hear that all the time untill I say are your sure, then its "well I did kick it first or I did step on it but it didn't have to bite me"

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jeff&Peks wrote:
nuke wrote:
Did it kill you?

Now the question is what did you do to get bit, Let me guess, You didn't do anything you were just going to pet it. Yeah I hear that all the time untill I say are your sure, then its "well I did kick it first or I did step on it but it didn't have to bite me"
I knew the dog very well. She lived with me for 2 years. I leaning down and petting her she started growling. I said "what's wrong?" and then she bit me before I could blink and eye.
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

this is awful....that poor family. There isnt enough info on this story, too many unanswered questions..it pisses me off that straight away it was the chows fault..maybe that chow was their :baby: as such for how ever long...then out of the blue heres a tiny creature crying...what to do with it?? that poor chow...i dont know as much as you guys do...and it is an awfully sad story but when they put that chow down did they at any time consider why?? ok put the chow down...but i truly hope that they learnt from this....not only by bad ownership and guidance they not only lost their precious baby but their family chow also....because of a quick visit to the loo....she wasnt thinking obviously.i gotta feel for her tho...she still lost her baby...and it was a stupid unfortunate accident...if the dog was aggressive you could understand that..and anyways..when jaff our husky got to a stray cat...the first thing they do is shake it....the baby wasnt shaken was it???wouldnt that be the first clue as to why and to show aggressive behavious. jealousy also could play a part.....im with chris.....this is a totally preventable accident...too late i guess to say why or what if...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Do you see anything wrong with your story and why you got bit?

Ever eat Hot Pockets? This Ham and Cheese Hot Pocket is awful.

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Do you see anything wrong with your story and why you got bit?

Let's see.... I was petting a dog that loves me, she growled and bit me. I don't see what I did wrong. The dog may have had her own ideas, but I did nothing but pet her.

You should know, Jeff. Pekoe has bitten people before and she has bitten you.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

nuke wrote:
Jeff&Peks wrote:Do you see anything wrong with your story and why you got bit?

Let's see.... I was petting a dog that loves me, she growled and bit me. I don't see what I did wrong. The dog may have had her own ideas, but I did nothing but pet her.

You should know, Jeff. Pekoe has bitten people before and she has bitten you.
Pekoe has bitten one other person and has bitten me a few times but there was reason for every bite and the person (girl) she bit knew right away she screwed up and applogized, as for biting me when I get bit I already know i'm going to get bit when i'm doing what ever it is I'm doing so i'm going in expecting it but Pekoe has never bitten me with out reason she dosn't like muzzles so i know i'm getting bit, She dosn't like her sides combed so I know i'm going to get the ever populer Chow snap. I also know that if Pekoe or any dog is growling at me i'm sure as hell going to get bit if i continue. Growing is a warning if you push the growl you deserve to get bit.

None of this has anything to do with the MIX killing the kid but now that i know it wasn't a purebreed Chow which i didn't think was in the first place I've lost interest in the story. Dogs kill people everyday but not Chows.

ImageImage
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

This is a very sad story. I am feel so sorry for the woman to have lost her baby. She should have never have left her baby alone with any animals, but that is not the way you should have to learn. My girls are now 7 and 4 and Ivan is still not allowed in their rooms. For both Ivana's safety and the girls' safety. Both children and dogs can have unpredictable moments. And if this was the first baby she may have thought it was a new toy for her. Or jealousy who knows? No one can know. I do know that leaving a defenseless baby with a chow is crazy. But an overly tired new mother who has to pee can be careless. This time she paid a huge price for her carelessness. Or maybe she did not know what she was doing. Maybe she was one of those people who really want to believe that dogs are just one of the family, that they are just another kids, they are not.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

The dog might have been attracted by the pulsing heartbeat in the soft spot of the infant's skull. An infant's brain isn't completely covered with bone.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I don't know. I do know that Ivan (bless his wild side) would catch rabbits and just sit there biting them until they died. They were just alive toys for him. First he tracked, they he caught, they he played. Sad as that is to think that could be what happened if the chow had never seen the chow before the two weeks. He/she would have no reason to feel that this baby was anything to be respected or valued. This whole situation is so heartbreaking. This poor woman. What she must be going through. I just could not imagine. To loose your two week old baby this way...and your chow. And to have one to have killed the other. For some unexplained reason. And blaming yourself. I could not stand to be in her place. :cry:
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

i just hope this doesn't reach us here way out on the eastern point of North America...since it happened in Arizona we may not get any backlash from it here in Newfoundland, but who knows news travels fast especially bad news. I just can't figure any reason for a chow to "attack" an enfant, it had to be something else, like the baby was wearing something that looked like a toy or something of the sort, something hanging on it's crib or bassinet or whatever.

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Since it does not say anything about the mother hearing anything and coming running. I doubt it was an attack. I am guessing it was something more along the lines of biting or chewing. Unless the baby was already crying and the mother was feeling overwhelmed and was trying to walk away from the situation for a moment.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!