Chow Chow ban

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow Chow ban

Post by Lucydog »

There are many cities that automatically declare Chow Chows as vicious or ban them completely. Here is a new one in Pilot Grove, MO.

I am very involved with the Texas State Legislature and am receiving news from all over the country - statewide bans have been proposed just in the last few months in New Mexico, Oregon, Hawaii and Montana. Yes, "Pit Bulls" are first on the list but as you can see below it's so easy to tack on Chows. All it takes is one high profile case of a Chow causing serious injury and on the list they go.

If you are not involved, I am begging you to please get involved now. We Pit Bull people cannot do it alone.

If you are in TX I put together a page for how you can help http://lsspbc.com/blog/2009/02/22/how-can-i-help/
Even if you are not in Texas please PM me and I will direct you to the club in your area who is fighting these laws. Or join the Fight BSL Yahoo Group.

We need to get more dog people on the local animal control boards and commissions, because the people running the show are anti-pet, anti large dog and are clueless about canine behavior. If some people had their way, the only dogs people would own, if any, would be indoor poodles.

For example, we have just had a bill introduced in Texas that would allow your dog to be declared vicious EVEN IF he does NOT ever escape his yard or bite a person! Your dog would have the same requirements as a dog who mauled someone, which are virtually impossible to meet and therefore would result in the euthanasia of the dog. The same bill does not allow dogs over 40 lbs. off-lead in cities over 1 million with NO EXCEPTIONS for hunting, dog shows, or even legal dog parks. I am NOT making this stuff up!
=======================================================
(crossposted from the Fight BSL yahoo group)
Pilot Grove passed a "vicious dog" ordinance in November 2008 that designated eight breeds of dogs as "vicious." As of Monday, five of those eight breeds are now banned in Pilot Grove. Just curious...how many Chinesischer Kampfhunds do you think live in Pilot Grove?

PG bans vicious dog breeds

Five breeds of dogs are now banned from the City of Pilot Grove, following the passing of Ordinance No. 42 on Monday evening. Dogs prohibited under the ordinance include pit bulls, chinesischer kampfhunds, chows, Dobermans and rottweilers. The ordinance states the breeds were chosen because these breeds “have shown a sufficient propensity of viciousness or ability to inflict serious injury such.”

While the breeds are banned, dogs of the breeds currently licensed with the city are exempt for their lifetime. In addition, owners of banned breeds that aren’t licensed have a grace period of 90 days to register the dog with the city. The dogs cannot be transferred to another owner in Pilot Grove city limits. The ordinance also allows for offspring to be removed from the city limits within eight weeks of their birth.

Failure to comply with the ordinance could result in a fine of at least $200 and loss of the dog.
http://www.boonvilledailynews.com/news/ ... dog-breeds
Because owning just one banned breed isn't enough!
-- Rest In Peace Jasper the Chow Chow & Lucy the Pit Bull.
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow Chow ban

Post by Lucydog »

Oh by the way, Florida people we need you NOW. Florida state law currently does not allow BSL. If it is allowed, your Chow Chow could be banned at the local level.
=======================================================================================

TAMPA - A bill now before the Florida legislature would open the door to banning some dogs based only on their breed. Pit bulls are the likely target.

"They make up a large part of our pet population, so the statistics will bear out that they're the most likely to be impounded. They're the top biter. But they're right up there with the shepherd, the chow, and the labs that are also significant biters in the community," said Bill Armstrong, head of Animal Services in Hillsborough County.

There were more than 2,100 reported dog bites throughout Hillsborough last year. Nearly a quarter of those bites came from pit bulls or pit mixes.

So far Miami-Dade is the only county in Florida that has banned pit bulls. That could change when state lawmakers discuss the issue in Tallahassee. We will let you know if the proposed ban passes

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/l ... ban_030209
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Thank you for your post.
Yes, we need to get on board to stop these bills, before they become law.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

Things like this really piss me off! The funny thing about all the BSL lists is that most..not all...but most of the owners of small breed dogs do not do the proper socializing and training needed to make them a well behaved dog but that is all overlooked because they pose no immediate danger to humans. Can you imagine if a large breed dog were to be treated like one of those pocket pets? (No offence meant to any small breed owners that actually take care of their dog) "Oh how cute! He won't let anyone come close to me without biting and snapping at them...aww he/she must just love me!" It makes me want to puke! Please PM me with the info about where I can go to help fight these potential BSL issues in my area. As of now I only know of the pit ban in Denver and I contacted a few local goverment agencies but got no where apparently.
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Example number One of many, This post has been here all day they are banning Chows in a few states and only two responses, Obama goes to the bathroom, stuff that doesn't effect anyone on this site and it gets 5 threads and 300 response. No one will get involved in this until it is to late and they come and take their Chows away then they will complain about how unfair the politicians are and bitch becouse no one is doing anything, Gee maybe PETA will take care of it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

This post has not been here all day and also just because a reply isn't posted here doesn't mean it isn't a wake up call...doesn't mean that some, all, or most of us aren't going OMG and trying to figure out what to do. 5 minutes ago I was discussing this very thread with my husband. Sheesh!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Posting on here is not helping the Ban/not Ban........ I read it and talked to my hubby...... we are lucky we have not had anything happen in WA as of yet but if it comes up here, we will do everything we can to stop it.....(LOL, of course, we may need to borrow someone elses better behaving chow first! LOL I am just kidding! )
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

Washington allows BSL. There was a flare up of problems late last year because of some high profile "pit bull" bites.
http://www.fabbseattle.com/bslinwa.htm
That is from Families Against Breed Bans.

I found this list of clubs that specifically deal with the legislative issues on the AKC website-
http://www.akc.org/canine_legislation/federations.cfm

Here is your Colorado group - http://www.codogfederation.org/

You might all want to contact these groups and ask if they have an email list or some other communication method where you can join them and find out how you can help. It is sad, but a lot of them need money. The group I am a board member of, mostly Pit Bull people, is partnering with the AKC Federation Club in TX to raise money. You would not believe how much money we have to raise. I would rather spend it on rescue, but if the dogs are banned, rescue is going to be a moot point because they are all going straight to death anyway, even more than already do. Ask people in Denver who had their Pit Bulls removed from their homes even though they had no citations, no bites, nothing but being a Pit Bull.

Yes we all do our part grassroots organizing but lawyers and lobbyists cost money. If you don't have time or are unsure what to do, see if they are suing any cities or hiring lobbyists and need money. If every Chow owner sent 10 bucks they would have enough.

A lot of people don't know this is going on, not just Chow people. I met a guy with an American Bulldog the other day - basically a huge white Pit Bull. They are usually on the list right along with Pit Bull. He had absolutely NO IDEA - NONE that they are banned anywhere! SHAME on the breeder for not telling the guy! You have to know these things. Had he taken a job in Colorado he would have had to dump his dog probably. There are a lot of places outside of Texas where you simply cannot live.

It's never too late, but if we lose in Texas and Florida things are going to get a lot more expensive if we have to defend our dogs in every single city and county.

Thanks for your questions & concerns and keep em coming.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Given today's news, I thought I might bump this to the top.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

So am I reading correctly when I read that Texas is trying to change its' dangerous dog clause??
SweetPea Rocks!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have always been against popularizing Chows and trying to make the world love them, in my opinion bad news helps the breed. Only certain people should be owning the breed in the first place so bad news makes people back off the breed which means you won't have 20 Chows aday being killed in shelters in LA and people trying to save the 5 aday that are posted in the Chows needing a home section. Two years ago you rarely saw a Chow in a shelter people had a hard time finding a Chow to adopt but its gotten way out of hand now. For evey one tragic story you hear about a Chow it helps the breed stay alive Chows won't be adopted by people basing thier adoptions on cute.

Maybe some day Chow adoptions can be controlled like the Burmese (sp) mountain dog.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

Regarding Texas, it's a colossal horrible session going on right now. I can't even begin to summarize it all here. I have been entering all the bills and summaries on http://www.lsspbc.com

I will update everyone on that after this weekend when I have a chance to get caught up.

The good thing about Chows is that they are in fact harder keepers than Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls are the easiest keepers you can imagine, they don't eat much, they have a short coat, they are very tough and hardy. I think even though other breeds become popular with idiots they will always come back to Pit Bulls because they are just easier keepers compared to say a Fila.