eye discharge

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

animallover
Rank 0
Rank 0

eye discharge

Post by animallover »

I am new to this website, and really don't do postings much. I hope I am doing this correctly. My husband and I are getting ready to adopt a 2 year old chow chow, and a 9 month old chow/golden retriever mix. These are just two of the most wonderful dogs you would want to know. I understand that the chow chow who is very even tempered just sweet and gentle, came close to being killed in a shelter. Anyway, the chow chow has discharge under his eyes. We will not be picking them up for a few weeks because the chow chow is undergoing heart worm treatment. Is this discharge normal for a chow? I don't see it in any of the pictures....or do you think it is from the heartworm treatment? Neither my husband nor I have ever owned a chow chow before. Thanks! -Joyce
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: eye discharge

Post by Laura »

Chows are prone to 'entropian'. You can google it or do a search on here in the archives/health section. The discharge could mean he has entropian in which case he may require surgery to correct it. Left untreated it can cause severe discomfort and blindness. It could also be something else entirely...he needs to be checked by a vet to know for sure.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: eye discharge

Post by summer_rose03 »

I would guess entropian. My boy was adopted and we thought it was an eye infection. Turned out to be entropian. He has had the surgery to correct both eyes and now he's much happier!
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!