Be Honest

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Auddymay

Be Honest

Post by Auddymay »

As most of you know, my employment in the great state of Michigan was steady for 18 years, then the beginning of the end to prosperity hit, Jobs here are sketchy, and far and few between. I have been tinkering with the idea of doing some graphic design. The only problem being, that I am self-trained in this area, my program needs to be at least one grade higher, PSP or PSE. Plus, some additional classes to be able to utilize the new program to a professional level. Oh, did I mention scrap designers are in high competition, and that the competition is good?

Not to be daunted, I thought to advertise as a personal scrapbooker. Same constraints, but also needing a print service along with shipping and handling charges. This idea is not dead in the water, just in limbo while I work out costs and such, in comparrison to price.

The next evolution of my new business plan came because of tragic circumstances in my life, which was the death of my father on the 8th of Februrary. In the funeral homes, they have a wide screen viewer/TV the bereaved can use for photos. I decided to put up a layout montage of the pages I did of my father and the family. I did not have enough to do a good loop, so while the grandkids constructed 3 tri-fold collage boards on the floor behind me, I whipped up a dozen new pages. The presentation turned out great. This is what I made, minus the music.
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=82 ... m=text_url

I began thinking, I could do this for other people. I could make up life montages, either in scrapbook form, or just photo display. With or without music. Is this something you would pay for? Or even want? I would of course, change my page ratios.
I then began thinking, is this something that would also work for anniversary parties, new babies, graduations, engagements? A friend of mine is working in a nursing home that has patients with Alzhiemers and dementia- wouldn't a montage of their life help keep them grounded?

Please tell me honestly, is this something you would use, and how much would you pay for a 20 minute montage? Keep in mind, the example here is quick, so you can just get the gist.
Zhuyos mom

Re: Be Honest

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Having had buried both my parents, yes. I would absolutely have paid for those services if they were available and offered. The cost of funerals these days are insane. But the cost for a memorial tribute for the family members and friends to honor their beloved is priceless. Average cost for an obituary here is $350, for one publishing. For your venture, you would first have to figure out how long it will take you to scan the photos, create the presentation and interview the family. And then figure out how much your time is worth in actually creating a 5-10-15 minute production. Then find out if the cost is affordable to the community. Even if you offer this as a part time venture, it is worth it. You do have to make sure there are strict time schedules that must be honored (i.e. latest time you can receive photos from the family etc.) and you'll have to create some sort of interview profile to ask each family so you get some sort of essence of the family member they are trying to pay tribute to with the photo show. How you can profit is through providing duplicate DVD/CD's of the presentations and/or having hard copies/albums available for purchase. I mean if weddings or birthday parties can profit from these type of productions, why not the funeral industry. I would begin with one industry and then allow your work spread by word of mouth to the others (anniversaries, birthdays, etc...).

I met a lady who is making a living by creating and designing cremation urns and cremation box (fabric) dressings. She told me her business continues to grow. It's a business that will never have a problem with getting clients. So, go for it!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I don't know, the scrapbooking idea is not a profitable business, I think the reason why people scrap book is beause they enjoy doing it. I don't think they would pay to have them made when they could do them themselves and money is tight. The funeral idea is interesting, if you could contact a few funeral homes and see if they would be interested in allowing you to provide this service. I am not sure how much the funeral home would charge you for access to the bereaved.

David
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I think its a great idea. You could put a sample album together and leave at a florist, even offer it for newlyweds, school events, and retirement gift. We went to a show choir competition last week at the school. Someone was taking videos, they then would sell cds of the competition. They travel to each one doing this. Another guy took pictures, he has a website then people go in after the competition and order the pictures they want. Its all good money they get just from going to these competitions.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Any talent anyone has no matter what it is or even if its just a hobby or something they like doing can be turned into a profit. I posted before your work is by far better then what I see being sold. Even if you only made a dollar thats a dollar you didn't have before and you made the dollar doing something you enjoy.

If you don't jump on your talants and do things you enjoy you wind up a like Red Dragon
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

First of all, my condolences to you having recently lost your father. The montage was beautiful and there was music when I viewed it.
Having (sadly) been to several recent funerals where picture montages were presented, I think that a scrapbook format would be incredible. The part that would be worrisome for me is the time factor. Unless you have good templates to add last minute pictures, you will have some challenges to put the montage together, get approval, and then publish it. I'm fairly certain you are a very resourceful person and could make this work.
Personally, if I was to have this done I would think that a price range of $400 to $500 would be reasonable.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
nuke

Post by nuke »

It's something you enjoy and something you are good at that others appreciate. A lot of people say they would like to do this or that, but very few people actually follow through with an idea or goal. Those that follow through and persist are the ones that become successful in almost anything they put a good effort into.

I agree with Jeff, except for the Red Dragon comment. :mrgreen:
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Auddymay,I watched your presentation and it was beautiful.
I'm sorry about the loss of your Dad.
I know when my Dad died I would have gladly paid almost any amount to have something like you made.
as you said you could also do it for other occasions.
I would make a few up and leave them at different stores,even part time it would give you a start.
good luck and keep us posted :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Beautiful! I recently printed a picture booklet of the girls for their 3rd birthdays. I made it on the MAC and didn't need extra graphics.
Are you at all interested in ad design? I think there's a very limited market in scrapbooking because of the software that are out there. You can make pretty good looking pages without knowing a thing about graphic design.

I am also a self-taught graphic designer. I was a history major in college! Quite by accident I was offered a part time position as web/graphic designer at the college nearby. I design ad campaigns, fliers, posters and brochures for them. And quite but accident I picked up another account with a tutoring center doing the same thing.
Anyway, do consider the advertising route. There's more money in it.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Thank you to all who answered. The positive feedback is nice to hear. I'm feeling like I could make a decent living making these. I saw one on-line guy for all occasions quote 150 dollars for a 20 minute montage, with a 3 week lead time and a surcharge of 75 cents per photo scanned, and copies were 10 dollars. I would have to believe $250.00 for a 20 minute DVD with a 2 day turn around would be reasonable. I would probably not charge to scan, I would charge to fix imperfections in the photos though.

While one could say in these times, anyone could make a photo montage, one would be right. I can say in my bereavement, I found it both hard and therapeutic to work on it. You can tell the ones I did with pre-made pages, because I did not add a lot of extras, and the ones I worked on previously were more intricate. The page I was proudest of was the last one in my montage, School Days. It was actually a 2 inch tall photo of my father I had never seen before he died. It had a crease right down the center and the edges were worn. I restored it to nearly perfect, and blew it up to poster size.

The beauty of this business, is there is not alot of actual product eating up my profit margin. While I will eventually have to invest in new equiptment, I do not have a big start up cost, so more good news- and I can ease into using higher end image editting software. Even in the light of a new day, it feels win-win. I think my challenge will be getting my foot in the door at the funeral homes. It's been a depressing February, I think March will treat me better.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I think it is a wonderful way to earn some income. You do great work. You could also do weddings, reunions, birthdays. I would say your options are endless!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Auddymay,
you could also offer it for dogs.if you can make a web site your options have no limits.
one of my clients is a photographer with a beautiful studio.she specailizes in wedddings but is
now doing a lot of pet photography.she is very high end and her prices reflect that.
and even now with the economy the way it is people are still bringing their pets for pictures!
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Thanks! I just told my husband that I am no longer looking for a job, I am creating one. He asked if I was hiring, because the talk is he may be laid off. I said NFW, I want a worker. Plus, if I get more bizniz than I can handle, I am hiring Haley, she just doesn't know it yet...lol.

I went and talked with my brother Chuck today. He had the misfortune of watching his tooling business crash and burn, and knows the ins and outs of small business. He came up with several good ideas, including making a portfolio for the families to browse while plans are being made, in addition to a sample DVD. Of course, I will have to make up many sets- one per funeral home. $$$ He also thought about making high quality trifolds with a glass or plexi front and offer the service of collages at $30 per display. In that way, even if they do not want to purchase the slideshow, I could still get the business of the collages, or all of it! I am also purchasing a new scanner that can do slides and negatives. I think I am going to go with a price of $350 for 20 minute presentations. It is the price of an obituary here as well. Since the prices of all things like that will be right there for comparison, it won't seem all that unreasonable. And it isn't for a 2 day turn around time. Copies are 15 dollars. :wink:

Jacqui, I was thinking I could have some brochures made and put them in vet's offices. Goodness, knows, I can do a Chow like nobody's business! Prices would also be greatly reduced, unless it is for a pet memorial service right away. Even a 5 day turn around would work much better! So there you have it. I feel like there is a niche, and I can fill it!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Auddymay,when you get your brochures made up go to all the businesses YOU patronize and ask if you can leave a few.
I have a small hair salon and I always let my clients leave business cards,flyers,etc.
I think its a great way for free advertising!!!!
good luck :D
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Audrey,

Your montage was really a lovely tribute to your Dad...and by the way since I have already met you...you look a lot like him!!!

I have always thought that your talent for scrapbooking was really great. I have copies of everything that you have done of JR and Cheyenne over the last 3 plus years and they are beautiful. You also did those awesome bags with their pictures on for our 1st Ohio Chowfest and they are on my wall. You just do this really well and I think that you should go for it. Unfortunately, death and funerals are something that just is and people want the nicest tribute that they can give their loved ones and regardless of finances will pay for it.
When I WAS working...one of the best cruise reps was layed off and shortly thereafter his partner was downsized...so they started a video and stills dvd service for vacations. I know that it has taken them some time to get it all going but when my company let me go I had heard that he was doing fairly ok with it all.
I am still plowing away with my jewelry designs and now have 2 internet shops open. It is not doing too much right now but I have so many beads collected over the years and nothing but time and imagination and will just keep perservering until I crack the right time or market...I am even thinking of painting glassware and canvases again as I did years ago....if you don't try you will never know!

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Auddymay,

Firstly, I am sorry to hear of your father's passing, I didn't know. I believe you are on to something here...
In addition to what others are saying, I think promoting your organizational skills would be of value.
People will pay for work they find too tedious for themselves.

In the not to distant past, my Princess Buttercup and I frequently visited one of the assisted living places and to nursing homes,
for all the folks there to smother her with love. Of course, I always sat and listened to people as they shared their lives.
I did all of this with just a phone call to the manager.
I think these wonderful people would pay to have someone organize their photos into a scrap book. Why not ask the management if you can set up a table for such a thing. You would need to be portable...just a thought.

For weddings...
In today's world, new babies are well documented with loads of photos, but then, they don't know what to do with them except put a few on the wall and file then file away the disc. That's where you come in!
A lot of people use digital photo screens these days, you could format for those too.

I have a strong feeling about you...I feel confident that you are one of those women with enough moxy to make a success of your ideas!
YOU GO GIRL!!!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

It was lovely Audrey and I too am so sorry about your father. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

I'm sorry you had to experience losing someone but I like to look on the bright side, so maybe something good did come out of it.

I think it's a good idea, your work is very good and if it's something you truly enjoy, go for it. My only advice would be to have at least some other sort of income. Just in case you don't have anything lined up for a couple of weeks or a month, you'll have some other type of income. It might not be as much as usual, but at least it would be something.

My sister is in the art industry and her biggest complaint is that certain times of year (namely Spring) is crazy, she'll work 16 hour days sometimes and then late fall/winter when it's cold (with the exception of christmas), there's hardly any work.

For people that can budget money well, that might be okay, if you can control yourself and your spending and remember to save some for the months that there may not be much work/income.

My dad has also seen this when he worked in AC and now that he has his own car business.

So maybe just get something part time, a couple days a week or a few hours a day unless your family can survive solely on your husband's income.

GOOD LUCK!

PS: Thought of a couple more things: You may want to put brochures at groomers' too. People may just randomly like one of their dogs when they're all groomed and looking their best.

Also, I'm not sure if you're in to photography but if you are, or could be, I think you have more of a chance for take off if you incorporate that. Take the pictures of the subject (if it's a present type of thing), then show the pictures to the client and ask them to pick a certain number based on what product they want, and use those. I was just thinking that might broaden your client list because some people are just terrible at taking photos or may not have any pictures at all (yet of a new baby or something like that) or just not any that they really like.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have photography experience. I was a portrait photographer after college, because I couldn't get any work in human services owing to Reganomics...lol. (No Red and Nuke, I am not crying over that turn of events)...Anyway, at one point I considered opening my own studio, but took a job as a machinist in an aerospace company (nepetism, dad got me in during summers off from college) to bring in some cash, I just wasn't making enough working where I was. I eventually ended up in Quality Control at a camshaft mftg company, and then into management, which I hated. Scrapping, and all things computer are self taught, except for training on job specific computers, which are wholly different from home and office computing. So I have some gaps in that regard.

I agree, I am going to branch out, but I also agree with Lou, I should start with the funeral homes, and branch from there. Biting off more than I can chew would be the worst thing I can do. I have several weeks of making layout blanks amongst other things before I can 'burst on the scene' but I just got a love letter from Obama via Michigan's unenjoyment office, we are getting a 25 dollar a week raise, and an extension of benefits, which happens automatically when the unemployment rate rises above a certain percent, and we are at a record high right now, like 12% unemployed.

I could branch out to doing portraits with a scrapbook motif eventually, I have no doubt I could do that. But it also entails buying professional level equiptment. I would need Angel investors, and I am not willing to put anyone's money at risk at this point. I will just slowly build as I go. I am ordering my new scanner this week, I can't start without that, and the one I am getting is professional level, but not pricey. It will also do negatives and slides, so that will really help.

I am currently finishing my father's presentation. When I finish, I will know better how doable this business is. My mom found a big pile of photos from the 60's, and I have been sorting the ones from the collages. I am working on one I wanted to do a long time. A page or maybe 2 of my family doing the song YMCA at my sister's reception, a time when my family was whole and at it's best.
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

I do think you have a great idea. I recently attended the funeral of my boss' boss. His son had put together a montage, which wasn't nearly as nice as what you did. Everyone ended up watching it and commenting on how nice it was to see the important moments in Jeff's live celebrated.

It sounds like your brother has given you some good ideas. You might also want to consider writing up a formal business plan. I know that sounds like a lot of work, but it is helpful in crystalizing your goals and what it will take to reach them. Also, if you decided at some point to look into a small business loan, you may need to provided your business plan. You might want to check out the SBA's Office of Women's Business Ownership Entrepreneurial Development at http://www.sba.gov/aboutsba/sbaprograms ... index.html. They have some nice tools from planning a small business start up.

And since this is tax season, you probably get to take tax deduction for the business expense of setting up your sample packets...