Dakota Update

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Dakota Update

Post by Roxana »

Hi All!

Just thought I'd update everybody on Dakotas progress. As you know, it's been about 6 months since she lost her eyesight. In the beginning, it was very difficult, between the guilt I felt and the constant worry for her, it was pretty stressful. Going for walks was extremely challenging and there were days when I would feel sorry for myself and for her, remembering how we used to walk for miles & miles.

Well, all I can say now is that this girl surprises me every single day. She is doing so well and seems to finally be adjusting to her disability. Now that the snow is all gone I take her to the walking trails in the park near our home, let out her retractable leash and let her walk on the grass as far out as she likes. She loves it! I keep an eye out for anything that may trip her up, but otherwise she just trots along like the olden days. I love seeing her walk so confidently with that silly Chow grin on her face! It makes me so happy because I thought that was gone forever.

She makes her way around the house no problem, although she still bumps into things occasionally. Just last night while we were watching TV, I told her to go into the bedroom and bring out one of her treats to snack on. She listened to me intently, then snuffled her way along into the bedroom and came back out a few minutes later with her greenie in her mouth, as proud as a peacock. She really does amaze me.

I know this post is a little long-winded and doesn't really have a point, but I guess I just wanted to say to all those people who told me (nobody on this board) when she first went blind that the best thing to do would be to put her to sleep, well....... :x you were wrong!!

Happy Spring time everyone!
Roxana & Dakota
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

:) :)
That is just the sort of news Milly and Mabel and I love to read!
I am so glad Roxana and you are quite right, you should have given her the chance and after all she is a Chow!
The news about Confuscious was excellent too - such happy news for two brave Chow Chows.

Give Dakota a hug from me and some purple kisses from Milly and Mabel.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Dakota

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Great to hear Dakota is doing so well.

There's noway your post is long winded and pointless, Your post should be a lesson to everyone, Especially those I have to get rid of my Chow for what ever reason people.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Oh Roxanna, what a sweet update! I'm so happy that Dakota is adjusting quite well, that the both of you proved all those "nay sayers" wrong and you are smiling! Do you find it interesting how the littlest of achievements that Dakota does now just makes your heart melt? Zhu's little moments do that for me. A couple of weeks ago I'm upstairs at home and I hear, thanad, thanad, thanad! Then in with a smile enters Zhuyo! Haven't seen him go up to 2nd floor since early last fall! With his arthritis and tendonitis acting up 2 weeks prior, boy that was an awesome surprise! It's just the little things now.

Hugs and greenies to Dakota!
Shan&Kayla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Shan&Kayla »

Yay! I am so glad she is adjusting so well :D It warms my heart to know she is enjoying life. Sometimes "people" just don't know what they are talking about! It's so great that you stuck by her side, and she has overcome so much.
-Shann&Kayla
kingalls

Roxana & Dakota

Post by kingalls »

Roxana,
It's a wonderful thing, isn't it? We are so happy to hear Dakota has made the adjustment. I know it took a lot of patience on your part as well as continually telling yourselves that everything will be okay and you're doing the right thing.
Sometimes we forget that our cat, Orbison, is blind. She is quite comical when she "hides" from me. She'll fly down the staircase, turn the corner and "hide" by the wall. Then she waits for her "unsuspecting target" to get near enough for her to leap out and grab the closest foot.
Congratulations to all of you! I know you are so very, very proud of Dakota - as are the rest of us are for all of you.

Karen :D
debbie and bones

Dakota

Post by debbie and bones »

Just wanted to add my greetings to you and Dakota along with the rest. I'm so happy to hear she is doing so well! All your hard work and hers has paid off; she sounds very smart to be able to go and get her treat on command. Your heart must feel so content...