last post I promise, ms Maxines first 48 hours

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

last post I promise, ms Maxines first 48 hours

Post by Dogdad »

Sorry I am posting so much, but I though I would report on Ms Maxines first 48 hours. First of all she now has stolen my heart. Ms Maxini Bobini somehow tricked me to fall in love with her. She is very much enjoying her walkies in the morning and in the evening. She has had several zoomies that seem to last fr 10 minutes. She is getting along with the other dogs including Yoshi, altough she annoyed him enough today to have him show his teeth to her. Maxine is begining to bite the butts of the other dogs which I am trying to stop. She gets along with Mikimoto who is about her size but Aldo doesn't like her. He puts up with her. So Far she is ignoring Maya and vis a versa

There is a point of concern, Maxine is over attached to me already, When I left this morning for work, she cried for about 20 minutes, I left her this afternnon for an hour and she cried some more. I spoke to Larry and am working with her so she knows I am coming back, I am also trying to get the boys to play with her more so she bonds with everyone. Tomorrow when I go to work it will be so hard, but I will leave the radio on for her, lots of toys and she will have the other kids for company.

On the cute side, she plays fetch and last night at bed time she thought it would be fun to tear off all the covers twice and squeaked her toy. She also sits up and begs doggie style which I don''t like and she loves her tummy scratched

David
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: last post I promise, ms Maxines first 48 hours

Post by janet »

keep postimg david.. i luv hearing all about miss maxine!!!
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

David,
I knew that she would steal your heart...how could a precious chow like Maxine not have figured that out!

I am rally happy for you that things are working out so well!
Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
chris

Post by chris »

I hate to say it.. but... I TOLD YA! :D

David, keep the updates coming. I love hearing about Maxine.
I'm thinking that her "crying when you leave" will go away once she realizes that you will come back. Poor thing, she loves her new Daddy to bits and just needs to learn your not leaving her. Makes my heart fill up I tell you. fill up!

Hugs
Chris n Steel
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

My dogs get separation anxiety whenever we move into a new place. And we've moved many times over the years. It takes them a few days to figure out we're not leaving them. I'm sure Maxine is still adjusting from her travels and moving around.
Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

Auntie Terrina says there is no such thing as posting to much about Maxine. Every one wants to hear how wonderful, how beautiful and all the great things she does. Don't forget lots and lots of pictures too.

Terrina
Thank you sweetpea!!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

David,I love reading about your beautiful Maxine :D
always keep us posted !
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm with everyone else. I love hearing all about Maxine's adventures! With all the sad things that go on, especially all the chows in shelters who need homes, it's nice to hear about something happy for a change!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Well I am at work and Poor ms Maxini Bobini was crying and whining after I left. Other people in the house didn't seem to comfort her. I feel so guilty and am counting the minutes till I can get home. I am not sure if it would help if I stopped home at lunch to see her or if it would make her anxiety worse. I left on the radio for her and told her I would be back soon.

On the happy note, she did an extra long walkies this morning and had zoomies when we got home. She loves her walkies, sniffing and running through almost half of it. I have treats for her in my pocket so when I get home she will get rewarded immediately.

I am really trying to spend extra time with the other dogs so they don't get jealous. she is more clingly than Maxwell was, but is content to sleep on the couch if I am in the livingroom/dining room. She won't willing let me out of her sight which worries me, hopefully once she is more comfortable she will relax.

oh we went to petco and petco to find her a different harness ( walk in) and she was quite socialble but refused treats at both stores.

David
Last edited by Dogdad on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Dogdad wrote:...She is getting along with the other dogs including Yoshi, altough she annoyed him enough today to have him show his teeth to her. Maxine is begining to bite the butts of the other dogs which I am trying to stop....
In addition to the possible Keeshond temperament mentioned earlier, her larger shaped ears also suggest some working/herding breed in the mix, (nipping behavior). If so, she would need a higher energy workout in addition to the walkies to tire her and help lower the stress chemistry of separation anxiety.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

kiwani wrote:
Dogdad wrote:...She is getting along with the other dogs including Yoshi, altough she annoyed him enough today to have him show his teeth to her. Maxine is begining to bite the butts of the other dogs which I am trying to stop....
In addition to the possible Keeshond temperament mentioned earlier, her larger shaped ears also suggest some working/herding breed in the mix, (nipping behavior). If so, she would need a higher energy workout in addition to the walkies to tire her and help lower the stress chemistry of separation anxiety.
I ran her for about 15 minutes in the back yard but will do more tomorrow.

David
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I don't say much but I make it a point to pop in just to see the Maxine updates. I don't think you could ever post to often on how things are going. Oh, and once she is totally settled in, send me some pictures and I'll make you a new banner. :)
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Sweetpea that would be great, I want her tummy fur to grow back first, it makes her look even skinnier than she is
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Hey, I haven't been on the board for a while but I just wanted to say Congrats Dogdad on your newest addition!! Glad she is fitting in so nicely. And kudos to Chris for helping with the transport. =D=
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

well Maxine barely survived the day. She cried for about 20 mintes and then had t be content with her toys and the other dogs. I also left the radio on. When I got home, she was so excited but I down played it since it will only reinforce her separation anxiety. later we we went for a 2 mile walkies in which she likes to pull and run. We are working on that. she had her zoomies for about 10 minutes, came in and proceeded to annoy the dogs, Steal toys and attack pillows, After dinner which she finally ate a full bowl, she went outside and played a bit, nothing major since we have to worry about bloat and then came in. She is in the finished basement now with the boys, I can hear her run around and pant but she isn't crying.

She has so much energy, she is like a puppy. I will take her out tonight before bedtime and play fetch for a bit to tire her out. I am not sure who will be more tired, As long as I can keep her busy she is fine, when she gets bored she likes to grab pillows,

David
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Has anyone given a good estimate on her age? If she is that active she may be quite young. A radical change from her predecessor! Is she a fetcher, or stick twirler? My 2 would be lost without their sticks to play with (we are cheap here...lol). Oh wait! Uh...we use only the most natural manufactured outdoor toys available...lol.
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

What is it about boredom and pillows? Sophie does that too. We won't mention what she's done to the couch pillows out of boredom...Doesn't everyone cover up their couch with an old quilt?

Sophie turned three last September and she is still a bundle of energy. I blame the belgian tervuren shepard genes. Two mile walkies are excellent for working off the excess energy. Training time helps some to take the edge off. Sophie isn't much for balls or sticks--for some reason I end up chasing them rather than her. But she does love to chase down her stuffed animal if I toss it. That usually leads to zoomies, which burns off a lot of energy.

I wonder if Maxine would be like flyball or agility training? I bet she sleeps well tonight after playing with the boys and then with you.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

My mom made me this beautiful quilt. Princess tore hole in it! That was a couple of years ago but I still haven't had the heart to tell mom what happen to all her hard work. Whatever you do, don't leave feathered pillows anywhere in reach when your at work. Now that is a mess when they rip into them. I keep thinking like Auddymay, Maxine just sounds so young.
kez65
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kez65 »

this is great reading david, its nice to see your happy and by the sounds of it so is maxine....
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Miss Maxinin Bobini is a demon :lol: She got up last night at 2:00am to bark at something,l I took her outside and she played in the new snow for about 10 minutes, We went back to bed for an hour, did our walkies, and she proceeded to have zoomies in the house. The other dogs, hate zoomies. they were all barking at her, she didn't care, she slipped on the floors, tipped over a water dish and dog food and kept running, I think I am going to have to tie her to a treadmill when I am gone and hopefully after 8 hours she will be tired. She is soo much like a puppy.

David
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Hmmm...Sounds like a Muskegon Chow thing. Last night, or early this morning, Lily was on the bed with me, looking out the window (Lil does not sleep up there on the bed, that is a command post). She spied a rabbit, and she was off! BARK! BARK! BARK! She ran to the livingroom command post, a level below my room, and continued to bark. Pip knows the score, and kept sleeping. Brian started hollaring though, and the racket did not stop until I got up and made her leave the post. Was MB near a window when the whole thing started?
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

It must be, It snowed last night and a tree fell down, silly Muskegon girls
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

David she sounds like a firecracker!!! What a cutie! And all that energy. I wouldn't know what to do with one that energetic!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

Dogdad wrote:Miss Maxinin Bobini is a demon She got up last night at 2:00am to bark at something,l I took her outside and she played in the new snow for about 10 minutes, We went back to bed for an hour, did our walkies, and she proceeded to have zoomies in the house. The other dogs, hate zoomies. they were all barking at her, she didn't care, she slipped on the floors, tipped over a water dish and dog food and kept running, I think I am going to have to tie her to a treadmill when I am gone and hopefully after 8 hours she will be tired. She is soo much like a puppy.
Now how can you say that Princess Maxine is a demon? :shock: You are lucky I know how very active she can be co I won't send out the Chow force to rescue her. The treadmill idea might just be a good idea for her. Is she doing any better with her seperation anxiety? I love the nickname Ms Maxini Bobini.

We had another rescue that we were told was a Chow/Schipperke and I wonder if that is what Maxine is. Maxine is a lot like Miss Marple.

Terrina
Thank you sweetpea!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Sounds like you are having fun, can't wait to see how she is when she gets REALLY comfortable :lol: Have a feeling she is going to be lots of fun and never boring :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!