no job {non chow}

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

no job {non chow}

Post by Sharons Chows »

Hi everyone,

When you think it can't get worse...it does.
Just to let you all know that my company laid of quite a few today and I was "lucky" enough to be one of them.
I am it for income...so there won't be an income now. I need my health ins because of my bout with cancer but it will take up most of my unemployment check and there are no savings left.
I have no idea what I am going to do?

Am going to take my JR and Cheyenne for a walk and try and clear my head!
Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: no job {non chow}

Post by Dogdad »

oh Sharon, I am so sorry I don't know what to say. We are here to listen

David
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I am so very sorry Sharon. I wish I had words of advice, but I am sitting in a leaky boat myself. We need us some sugar daddies!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Oh no, Sharnon, I'm sooooo sorry.... :(

Thanks Sweetpea!
Charlotte Paige
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Charlotte Paige »

lol @ Sugar Daddies Auddy.
Thank goodness for mine... still no job for me. It has 14 months. I am going crazy!!!!
My Sweet Charlotte
May 28, 1994 - July 14, 2006
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Oh.... I am so sorry. You know we all will help in any way we can. Chin up...you can do it!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

That sucks :( It is such a scary thing to go through a loss of a job. Crossing my fingers something else comes along quickly for you.

One idea I read online yesterday - check with your local junior high and high schools to see if you have the qualifications to be a substitute teacher. It is supposed to be one of the best part time jobs out there. I can't remember where I read that article, though, so I can't link it.
ImageImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

With the cancer and all why not just go on disability, If you were in Ca A woman just returning to work after Cancer treatments getting laid off, a CA lawyer would love that one.

If you would rather go the sugur daddy route you can join the other 100's of other woman on Craigslist personals looking for the same thing.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Aw...Sharon, I am so sorry to hear that. This economy scares the daylights out of me and reminds me of the old pictures of the depression of people waiting in soup lines. Sorry, my job is risky too - so my mind goes that way often.

Anyway, as companies are cutting back, there are still the same amount of people needing things and jobs will open up little by little.

Give yourself some time to breath and relax and then when you feel better, start looking.

Don't panic - just keep looking and don't give up.

Can you tell I have done this several times???
Mia
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Okay...hug Jr and Cheyenne - take a deep, deep inhale of their Chowness...you will be okay.
I think many of us may be in the same situation sooner or later...my company just went through a cut in January..it was ugly - people that have been there nearly 30 years were being let go. Our sales are down big time and now we are having to take an extended weekend of no pay. Having been through down times with this company before, I know that we are looking at a salary decrease and/or another downsizing...
Other opportunities will open up for you..when one door closes - another one opens.

Take care,
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Sharon, I'm so sorry. Things will work out, you are a very stong person...look at what you've overcome already. Layoffs suck...I was laid-off several years ago before the economy tanked, and now am possibly heading towards it again. I thought working for the state would provide some security...that was until the state went broke. I just keep thinking that people went through worse during the depression and came out okay, or stonger...this too shall pass.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Sharon,I'm so sorry.
Things are so bad every where.I am self employed and its been just terrible.I can barely pay for my health insurance.
I thank God that I don't spend any money on myself,Chyna and Kai are the biggest expence I have.
you are very strong and something good will happen for you!
you are in my thoughts :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Sharon, I am so sorry to hear this. I was out of work myself for a year, and have only been working again for a year and a half and now that company is starting to "hunker down" as they are calling it, so everyday is an if. This economy is so scary, and it seems that the powers that be want it to stay that way. We're here if you need to vent.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Americans are destroying the economy and themselves, Wal-mat, McDonalds and Target are the three top hiring companies right now. McDonalds won't hire you unless you have a green card but on top of that I usually take one or two classes every semester not for any reason but it beats watching TV, I've noticed that i'm usably one of very few Americans in the schools, this semester i'm taking two criminal justice classes and Photoshop, 3 differant collages in three different areas I am the only American in the classes they are all Middle eastern or Asian students here on visa's getting education and degrees where are all the American people Young or old? they are all two busy shopping at Wal-mart and dollar stores sitting at home watching TV complaining about the economy. You have to do things yourself folks The government is not going to hand it to you. We have become a society of dumbasses expecting everything to be given to us and its coming to a quick end.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

As always, you guys are just the best cyber family anyone could ever wish for.
You have always been there for me especially this last year an 1/2 when things just kept getting worse.
I really don't know what I would have done without you all! Thank you!

I just vegged out today and reality set in and I need to find a job no matter what it is.
I am going to do an online resume in the next day or so...I havent done a resume in 20 years and most of the travel industry companies that I worked for are out of business...so I will focus on the last 15 years. I worked for the same company for 10 and he sold out to the one 5 years ago {that just laid me off} and took me with him as part of the contract.

I know that I can't go back into the travel industry because it exists as a dying field. So I have to use my customer service skills somewhere else. My computer skills are pretty ok and where they aren't I will teach myself. My age is an isssue at almost 63 but they can't discriminate.
Will file for unemployment tomorrow even though it will barely cover my Cobra...I sure hope Obama's Cobra act gets finished soon...it supposedly will drop my payment by 1/3....and I have to have it a a cancer survivor.

So far many of the employment ads are for collections and my son is on a trial period at one of the agency's nearby...he said they are hiring. Not quite what I want to do but a job is a job...so will look into it. I hadn't had raise in so long that the money in collections should be equal.

As you know I am a survivor and will somehow make it through once again. For now I am going to get my finances in order and see what I can work with. Then I will bead some more and add some new things to my online Etsy store. I have a zillion beads and finding here gathered over the years...I just need to get my artsy imagination in gear again. I am also going to work in copper for a spring line. Sales are very slow for everyone there also but hopefully things will start looking up. I have some sales in an upscale beauty salon and an appointment at a well know gift store nearby and am going to work with a jewler on hand stringing and knotting customer pearls that are brought in for repair...not much $$ but I need to stay busy so as not to get too depressed.

Yes I took deep whiffs of my wonderful JR and Cheyenne...nothing in the world smells better than chows. They are my lifesavers and just the BEST!
I am going to see my grandchildren tomorrow and get some extra loving and hugs. Baby Madison is doing great!

Will keep you all updated.....I LOVE YOU ALL :x
Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

What kind of travel industry would they have in Ohio, You need to go west young man. The travel agency across the street from me is hiring, try Triple A Travel, As in the triple AAA towing and insurence company they have thier own travel agencies. People that live on the coasts (East or West) are travelling all the time, In CA if you don't have money to travel you rob someone that does have the money then plan your vacation.

I was discussing your problem with my daughter and some of her friends last night over Pizza and coke some of them are in that field they all agree diffinantly do what you said you were going to do but the laws are much differant in CA. I hate to use the word but much more liberal in those matters.

ImageImage
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

Oh man. Sis, sorry but I havnt been online 4 a while.
I'm sooo sorry. Repeat after me. I AM A SURVIVOR!!
Don't EVER forget that. It might take a while but you will be employed soon. Things always have a way of working themselves out. I'm sure ur tired of hearing all the cliches. But you will be fine. Know that I'm here for you ANYTIME. Give me a call. Kiss the furries for me. Luv ya.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

It sounds like you are doing everything you should to get employed again soon. Keep on truckin' and I'm sure something will come up soon!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand