A Little Angel-Non-Chow

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

A Little Angel-Non-Chow

Post by wallacethegreat »

First, let me say that if you guys only knew how far out in the boonies I live (mountains of New Mexico...remember? I was Berkley's Mom). This place is not only doggie paradise, but coyote heaven. I've already lost four cats to those b*stards in the past two years. That's why I have big-*Censored Word* dogs, including my Fozzie Bear who just turned 10 months old and is a whopping 70 pounds. (No kidding, Julia! I have new pics!))
This morning, at 6:15, all my dogs went crazy barking. I thought a coyote had come up to the fence, as they often brazenly do. I threw on my clothes and went out in the front of the house to check out the ruckus. In a small area at the corner of the house, caught in the corner of the fence, was this tiny, tiny little 5 pound Chi/Corgi mix who can't be more than 6 months old. How she managed to get here, through all the coyotes without being ripped to shreds, is beyond me.
She is covered with cholla spines (New Mexico's ugly cactus) and I've spent the day picking them out, one by one. She doesn't even flinch.
When I brought her into the sunroom, she was frozen to the core, shaking from the 17 degree temps and her own fear. As the pics show, she looks like a little fox. Wonderful and very sweet...very friendly.
I immediately gave her one of the cat's beds since she's so tiny, gave her some of Fozzie's puppy food and some tepid water to drink to warm her up from the inside.
I can't keep her, of course, but I did put an ad on Craigs List Lost and Found and the Pets section.
This little girl must have some serious guardian angels...maybe Wally and Berks helped her to get here safely, knowing she would be taken care of.
So far, I have had four calls from people wanting to adopt her if her owner never calls. I did call all the vet's offices in the area when they opened this morning just to let them know that I had her if anyone was looking for her.
I believe, since this area is very rural, that some piece of sh*t dumped her up here. People do that all the time up here. But to throw away like garbage a tiny 5 pound pup does more than enrage me.
This doesn't have anything to do with our beloved Chows. It's just about the fact that there are so many others who just need a safe place to fall, someone to love them and care for them, who without those who Do care, would meet certain death. Right now, with all the BIG dogs outside, I let her into the house and she's lying at my feet, safe and warm and comfortable.
So, here's to my little Dolly....that's her name just for today, but I'll keep her safe here until she finds her forever home. I know her true humans are out there somewhere.
Laura Mac
P.S. I just realized I can't upload pics like we used to. Any advice?
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: A Little Angel-Non-Chow

Post by CoraP. »

Hi Laura,
I've been wondering how you've been and how Fozzie is doing. Sounds like he's doing GREAT! The dumping of pets happens here, too. That's how we got one of our cats, and another one came from a neighbors that was dumped there. I hate the cruelty of it too. Why oh why can't people have some feeling of compassion for these poor souls. I will never understand. They are so dear and precious, how can they not see it in their eyes?! I'd love to see pictures of Dolly. It is better to upload from a site like photobucket. It sounds like she'll get a home easily if owners never show up. We had a neighbor lose their poodle one night and they think it was coyotes. They're invading us, too!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

I did the photobucket thing, but couldn't figure out how to get them from there to our group's site. I read AuddyMay's post several times, but it's not sinking in....LOL
Since I posted earlier, I've had a total of SIX people wanting little Dolly. Also, I let the Golden Retriever girls inside with her and they all did fine. She is just a sweetheart! Easy going and terrific, despite what she's been through. One more throwaway.
As we've all discussed at one time or another, I'm a firm beleiver in that therre is a place in hell for these people who dump animals. They had to know she had no chance against the coyotes up here. Like I said, she had her guardian angels with her on her way to my house. Bless her little doggie heart.
P.S. Paula...as soon as I get the photobucket thing figured out, I have lots of new pics of Fozzie. He really IS the monster Chow!
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Poor little thing. I'm glad she made it to you. It sounds like she is working hard at fitting in and being no trouble. hint hint :wink:
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Glad Dolly was safely guided to you for refuge. Hope you find her a wonderful home.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I just got off the phone with Laura and she thinks she might have found the owner of the pup! YAY! Fingers crossed! If Laura can't figure out the whole pic thing she is going to send me some in my e mail and I will post them up for her...I miss all of the pupps so much they all had their own personalities and to hear her talk about Fozzies zoomies makes me laugh and remember them too..anyway didn't mean to hijack the thread but thougth I would post a little info about what is going on..I'm sure Laura will be able to chime in and let you all know if it was the actuall owner of the pup!

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Wow...that is exciting news!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
tabitha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tabitha »

I think this is the craigslist ad.
Here's a link
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/laf/1021996744.html
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If the photos are in an album on Photobucket, PM a link to your home page, and I will gather up the links for you and post them. Just make sure you don't have your album locked...in fact, don't even worry about that right now, I will know soon enough.
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Tabitha's post (above) on my craigslist posting for the pup is THE one, so you can check out the link and take a look at her.
Unfortunately, the woman who called me late last night turned out NOT to be the pup's lost mom. She and I talked more this morning and she burst into tears on the phone when she realized the pup wasn't hers.
I've gotten more than 14 calls and emails for little Dolly....now being called Foxy since she looks like one...so I know I'll be able to find a really good home for her. Also unfortunately, she isn't housebroken, so that's been kind of a drag :roll: She also has tapeworms and isn't spayed.
But, now that she's been here for 36 hours or so, she gets along with all the dogs, and the cats, slept in my room on the floor next to the bed and seems to respond to the name "Foxy." Very cute and very lovey. Just a great little dog. She just hasn't had the best of care it seems. I mean, obviously, she wandered for who knows how far and managed to stay alive. I would call that pretty damn scrappy.
I will be making a couple of calls to prospective parents tomorrow morning and, after being in rescue for so long, you just get a feeling about people. I'm sure Larry and Tarrina can attest to that. It either feels right or it doesn't. And, mostly, once I check somebody out, I like to see the dog make the choice. They're always much better judges of character than humans!
One more thing...I'm almost certain she is a Chihuahua/Cardigan Welsh Corgi...what's known as a "designer" cross called a "Chigi." Too cute. (For a little dog!) Long live our Chow babies!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Foxy is adorable! By the way she seems to have been taken care of, I don't think owners will turn up. I'm sure you'll find her a great family. Keep us posted!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand