Spinning Wheel - keep on spinning

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Spinning Wheel - keep on spinning

Post by Me & Tess »

Has anyone spun Chow fur?? I got a spinning wheel (used) for Chistmas and have Tess' fur to spin. I ordered a couple of books on spinning this morning.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Spinning Wheel - keep on spinning

Post by Piff Poff »

Oooooh! That's really exciting! I remember spinning sheeps wool when I was little and if I knew how to knit I'd probably have a go myself. Let us know how you get on!
Thank you Sweatpea
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I am really happy about trying something new. We have a shop in town that gives lessons, but I need to read up on spinning. I think I picked two good books from Amazon - one had 5 stars & one 4.5. but good reviews. Mike really surprised me this Christmas.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I've seen skeins of Chow fur for auction on ebay, but have no idea how they do it. I can't wait to see your results!! You could go into business!

Your subject line made me think of that old song...had to google it to see who sang it...Blood, Sweat and Tears.
What goes up, must come down
Spinnin' wheel, got ta go round
Talkin' 'bout your troubles it's a cryin' sin
Ride a painted pony,
Let the spinnin' wheel spin
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Also "Proud Mary"

Left a good job in the city,
Workin for the man evry night and day,
And I never lost one minute of sleepin,
Worryin bout the way things might have been.

Chorus:
Big wheel keep on turnin,
Proud mary keep on burnin,
Rollin, rollin, rollin on the river.

Sounds like part of my life!
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Thanks - I saved both sites. May try to watch the video, we still have dial-up..... Was looking at another book (Amazon) specifically on spinning dog fur. Can't wait to get started - good project for the winter days.
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Dog-Yarn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiengora

an often thought thing.. i have two sacks saved of my last chows hair ... oonce i found on the net , and called on the pnone , in NM i think a provider who would spin and knit .... 80 $

i want TWO sets , a utilitu watch cap knit with my chows hair to keep my head warm whe i walk ..

a second , preimum FINE# spun and crocet [sp] with detail , to adorn my head when i am passed to the beyond...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chiengora/

http://customdoghairspinning.com/

http://fiberfocus.blogspot.com/2008/04/ ... -hair.html

http://www.ezinearticles.com/?Using-You ... r&id=61671

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Dog-Yarn

http://www.ehow.com/how_2074274_spin-ya ... -hair.html

i have lost the link.... for the fine spun custom dog hair.. what will i do .. . i suppose i will die with a cold head , no crcet head garmet to warm me.. alas alas ..

http://www.elkcreekllamas.com/yarn.html

chow hair would spin up good.. want more to spin than your chow gives ,, let me contat some of my kennel friends ,, they have many chow and send DUMPESTERS FULL of fur doewn every spring

alas
al\las
who will spin the weave

for my skull cap
to warm me in the grave ?
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I saved a good size bag of Tess fur - wish I saved more. I don't want to wash it because the fur smells sweatly like Tess. Will prob card though. She always seemed clean. Once one of our neighbors asked how we kept her fur so clean, with out burrs, etc., she seemed to keep herself clean and of course I tended to fur constantly. I think I may make some little things out of her fur, maybe some Christmas ornaments... Give a few to the kids for keepsakes. But still, I need to learn the basics. Will save all the sites. Pretty soon I will be sitting by our warm wood stove, in a comfy chair, with the spinning wheel a'spinin'. listenin' to some tunes, cabin lookin' like a snow globe!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I got my spinning how to books and I am really excited. It's been a while since I been excited about anything since Tess passed. I am learning about how the spinning wheel works. I learned that I have a castle spinning wheel (style), I learned that it is a double drive. Even took a couple of pieces of of cotton string to try & make the spinning wheel spin. I only wish I had in reality realized that Tess would someday pass on. I knew it in my head, but my heart wouldn't accept it. I should have barrels and barrels of Tess fur but I only have a big bag of her fur. I regret that. Reality is not my best suite.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Great news!! It is a shame we tend to live in the present and so often regret that. You'll just have to make the best of what fur you did save and know that a little bit of Tess is always with you. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Me too. I was always encouraged into a different part of life, but there was the path that led me. I see this of a new beginning. I don't know why I didn't this path pursue before. It feels right at this time. I made Mike a picture frame out of kindling wood, a bell out of something that wasn't whole. He fixed it. This is a growing time.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Somehow I can see you spinning fur in your beautiful cabin in the woods someday soon, and when you do....I can see bags and bags of fur in all colors coming to you in the mail for some reason LOL Can't wait to see what you learn :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I have an idea for all that extra chow fur laying around.... :D

**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Speaking of chow fur and weaving, can anyone help my dear friend, Dogdad? :D

Image Dogdad's head
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I am still trying to figure out my double drive..... Spent several hours looking on line for diagrams. Will hit the fiber store sometime soon - maybe they can help. I am practicing the treddle - lots of work - will be good for the old legs though. I had a funny vision, me spinning and all the Chows of color sitting around me - sounds peaceful.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Keep trying! This is a Chow from another site I belong to. I think this one is dutch, he is wering a coat from spun yarn of his own fur. I think it is a lamb's wool blended with his (it's been awhile, my memory isn't working).

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

My spinning wheel sits under the stairs where Tess once laid. The stairs to the loft are open stairs, an open part of our living room. I am taking learning this craft slowly. I have a habit of taking things in carefully, studying, learning the contours and workings of what ever I do. Sometimes learning doesn’t come easily. I oiled my spinning wheel this morning. Last night I finally figured out how to put on my double drive band. The care and maintenance of life is static in my corner of the world. Just like the care and maintenance of my children, my husband, my Tess, I took my time and I take my time seriously. I pieced together yarn I had from other projects to make a big ball, to practice spinning, to practice the treadle before I try fiber and finally to spin Tess’ fur.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I bid and won a pair of antique hand carders on Sunday. I am waiting for them to arrive in the mail. May have been delivered today or maybe tomorrow. Will have to take the hike down the county road to our mail box tomorrow afternoon. I have worn out the ball of pieced yarn. It is a tangled mess - wound and wound tight. I've been practicing on the treadle (sans yarn) to get the cadence just right. I got it so I don't have to think about it much, and treadle for about two hours a sitting. Can even read a book or fold clothes while working the treadle - one foot at a time! Was thinking of Tess and our back yard in Norwalk. We would get barrels of Tess fur. The back yard would look like a black fog laying lightly and heavenly on the grass.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

All you will need is a Ma Ingalls LHOTP dress to wear as you spin your chow yarn. Or something Tasha Tudor would wear.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Hmm. Well... I tried to do carding on my "antique" carders and they fell apart! Not good, but I have a good outlook on replacement carding fabric. I did try to do some of Tess' fur and was able to make something that resembled a "rolag." This process may take a while for me to master. Nothing comes easy in this world, nothing is promised. I will still try to master rolags in the future. I am not discouraged. I have remnents of promises of the future, my heart belongs to my dear Tess. My heart is hers.
BusterBoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BusterBoo »

In case anyone does want to spin their Chow's hair, I can recommend an experienced spinner who has indeed spun 2800 yards of Buster's brushed hair into BEAUTIFUL 2-ply wool that knits beautifully, actually feels like cashmere. She enjoyed spinning the Chow hair so much, she will be happy to spin for anyone else. Feel free to post here (I'm going to cross-post this under a separate thread so it will get noticed) and I'll follow up with you!