Cute but illegal, ChowChows

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Cute but illegal, ChowChows

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I saw this truck driving down the street and pulled up behind him he's from Colorado so don't think he knows its illegal to drive around with dogs in an open cargo bed, Its hard to see but there are two beautiful Chows in the back A Red and Black, the black you can't see. I followed him for about a mile but didn't want to chase him.The Chows were having a great time in the back just checking out the sites of LA.. I hope he didn't drive all the way from Colorado with them in the Back, The Chows were well groomed so I doubt it.

“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Cute but illegal, ChowChows

Post by jacqui »

anyone who loves their dogs would never do that =;
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Cute chows but I wouldn't trust mine not to leap out after a McD's happy meal! Lots of people here have airline crates strapped to their truck beds..... I just have a filthy Jeep 7 very very happy local detailers :roll: :wink:
Last edited by Layla on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Elodie!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I did not know that was illegal in California. I see poor dogs in the back of trucks all the time. I especially hate it when I see them on the freeway. It makes me sick. I always say it should be illegal. I wonder why more people aren't cited. Maybe I should start making citizens arrests.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Boogie and Linda wrote:I did not know that was illegal in California..
I don't know about all of CA but it is in LA from what the news said, I would think SF would be stricter then LA. LA has really been craking down on animal laws lately. Animal control passes the park across from me 3 times a day giving out $250 no leash tickets.

Just last week on the news there was a lady that had her dog chained in the back of her truck the dog jumped out and was dragged for a few miles, people were screaming and yelling at her to stopp but she had no clue finely a guy jumped in the truck at a light and stopped her. The dog lived but had to be rushed to the vet, the Lady was devastated and upset over it but she is now in Jail with felony animal abuse and a few other animal charges against her. I guess if you have to have them in the back it's better not to tie them at least they won't be dragged. these Chows weren't tied and free to jump anytime, hate to see a cat walk by.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

That is such a BAD idea.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chris

Post by chris »

O M G! ... I would never trust my chows to stay in the back of a truck like that. None of them. and Im always afraid if I chain them in they will still try to jump out and hang themselves or like what happend with that "this is your brain on crack" woman and her dog. I dont even put the window all the way down for Steel... I let it down just enough to get his head out there..
Cheif... the GS.. he would jump out too... he likes to socialize. :-)
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

i remember when i was young we rode in PU beds.. it was the accepted thing.... we had an old catahula rode in the bed on the farm .. when we took the PU out to get the cows in [easier to sstart the PU than catch the horses] he would ride to the pasture and then jump out to help.. ..he was a herding fool .. once the neighbors goats got out and he penned them on our front porch while we were in town.. nothing quite like finding your neighbors stinkin goats penned on the porch..

colorado as a farm and ranch state pby has a different set of rules than urban CA...

in nashville animal control has been getting dogs out of yards and threating people with abuse fines.. too cold for dogs outside they said .. after all it was 25 degrees !!! ,, how upset do you think i would be if they took my chow and charged me with leaving my chow out at 25 degrees .. .. he sits and pants when its over zero and espically likes 25 below...

too many laws out in CA as far as i am concerned.. ...
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

You see that all the time here. Then the people stop off somewhere to go to a store or in a bar and there sits this dog in the back of the truck waiting. There is one we'd see that couldn't make up his mind which side of the truck he wanted to look out, so he would run from one side to the other, back and fourth like he was having some kind of fit. In this area, not only do the animals ride around in the back of the truck, so do people. I'm not sure, I don't think its legal on the highways and for sure its not legal on the interstates.
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

I work in the insurance industry and have heard too many stories where a small fender bender to a hard stop causes the dog to be thrown from the flatbed. Usually they end up in front of the vehicle and the owner is now horrified because they just watched their dog get thrown and killed. One bad story was a driver you stopped hard for a squirrel, tossed the dog in front of the truck and the drive got hit from behind and ended up running over his own dog. The driver was in complete shock for days.

Seat belts are must for humans and animals alike.
Bear's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bear's Mom »

I've seen the damage that can happen to a dog that jumps out of a truck. Vet tech work was a bitch at times, but I loved it.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

bubba wrote:too many laws out in CA as far as i am concerned.. ...
In the land of crazies there's not enough laws, LA should just have one law, All nuts and cooks should stay in thier homes and never go out it public, the LA streets would be empty.

ImageImage
Bear's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bear's Mom »

Second that...
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Jeff&Peks wrote:
bubba wrote:too many laws out in CA as far as i am concerned.. ...
In the land of crazies there's not enough laws, LA should just have one law, All nuts and cooks should stay in thier homes and never go out it public, the LA streets would be empty.
Why do cooks need to stay in their homes? Who will be able to make those IN & OUT burgers for you?
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Summer 1953, seven year old me riding in the back of a old black pick-up truck with my cousins - I was the oldest. We were going to Gloucester Beach. First taste of real saltwater taffy - blond hair blowing in the wind, cheeks kissed by the sun. Such freedoms to be remembered! Fast forward, summer 2008, riding in the back of a white pick-up truck, black fur blowing in the wind traveling on a dirt road, going camping on Trail Creek - freedoms to be remembered!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

chow fancier wrote: Why do cooks need to stay in their homes? Who will be able to make those IN & OUT burgers for you?
Think I meant Chooks,Kooks, Khooks and in crazy people. There are a few cooks that need to be locked up but never a cook from IN & Out burger, Thats fine cuisine at it finest and throughly trained 5 star chiefs. Personally I think IN & OUT cooks must have studied in France before coming to the US.

ImageImage
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

It's legal here in Florida and they actually just voted on it a few months ago. Animal groups were pushing for it to become illegal but it was shot down every step of the way. I think it's cruel and would never think about doing it. Then again, I also would never drive a car/truck with no door, no hood, no muffler, or let other people ride in the bed, etc like I see all the time around here. It's mostly illegals from what I can tell doing construction work (one driving with 5 or 6 sitting in the back) though there are still plenty of others that put their animals in the back. There are just so many reasons I wouldn't do it. Nevermind the dog jumping out and getting hit, run over, or hung but I've heard it's also bad for their noses. Some of you might think it's cruel that I don't roll the windows down for McKenzie but I put the air on full blast instead since my car has an additional filter that filters out allergens and pollution from the air that comes into the cabin. She's never once seemed to mind and just tries to sleep most of the time anyway, the few times she looks out the window, she huffs and lays down like she's bored...
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I hate to see any dog riding in the bed of a truck. That makes me think of the time me and my mom went out to eat mexican and there was a truck we walked by that had a beautiful black chow in it. We went in and left about 45-50 minutes later and the chow was still there... :evil: People discust me... And that was in the middle of the summer. My mom called animal control but they said "there's nothing we can do..." Shows how lazy our authority in our county is.

The only time Tippsy rides in the bed is when we're at my dad's friends land and I'm back there with her. Like Chris said I don't even roll the window down all the way for her.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

That's how I saw my first ever chows, and there were 5 of them on the back of the truck, I just could not believe what I was seeing that day, and it was then that I decided that the Chow was the only dog I ever wanted, and I am not sorry, I love them all.
The owner of the truck, brought into the shop where I was working his 6month old puppy, who's name was Hanoi Tazu, he was a deep red, imported from England and so stunning, I fell in love there and then, he eventually went on to be come a South African Champion.
I love Chows, but would never drive with them on the back of a truck in this country now, far to dangerous, those days, there were no problems, but today just imagine getting hijacked and having your chow and truck stolen. Disaster.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If anyone remembers the Dukes of Hazard the blonde star from the show just had his dogs stolen. His SUV was stolen with his two dogs in the Car they found the SUV a few blocks away but the dogs were gone, apparently they stolid the car just for the dogs. The dog that he had for years just died so him an his wife had just adopted the two dogs. Big time dog people so they are pretty upset about it.

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Many were the time I rode in the truck bed. Many a time it was so I could pick up hay from the field 55 pond bales, loads of fun. Then, I learned how to drive the truck. I could drive a truck with a manual tranny (stick) at the age of 13. Bros had to pick up the hay, then...lol. We never had dogs in the truck beds, I was always afraid of bailouts. My friend Mike trained his German Shepard/Boxer mix to stay in the truck bed. And he always did. Mike never took Tuuko down highways, just our rural roads. I can see where it could lead to tragedy. I also had my Boxer Bud bail out of my car at a stop light once. T-tops off, windows down, he saw a dog in the yard to our right, and beelined. Had a car been coming in the right lane, ol' Bud would have been toast.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Okay, I'll admit it...growing up in Oklahoma it wasn't a big deal to let your dog ride in the bed of the pickup. I married a certifiable redneck and he had a Spitz (Mitzi) and a mini dachshund (Brandy). Brandy would somehow get on top of the toolbox and ride that way. One day we were going down the road and I just happened to look and noticed Brandy wasn't there. She had jumped/fallen and was chasing us down the road. Her little legs were going a mile a minute. We stopped and grabbed her up into the cab and she rode the rest of the way with us. On another occasion, my cocker spaniel somehow got a huge fishing lure stuck through his lip. I was driving by myself and heard the thump, thump on the back window. I looked up to see him with that lure in his mouth and almost died.
Now, my pack rides in style in the front or back seat of the vehicle (I still drive a pickup though). Typically it's too hot with the windows down, so we blast the a/c.
Bear's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bear's Mom »

My husband suggested that Bear ride in the back of my truck this past weekend...and on our next trip...I looked at him like he was crazy and said hell no. He thought I was being silly for not wanting that. He actually asked me why!!!!! I said that if something happened Bear would get thrown out and hurt, and he still thought I was being silly. Not gonna happen. Idiot husband.