HELPING MUDDY

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

muddydead
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELPING MUDDY

Post by muddydead »

Sorry for the statement I started out with. I am facing having to put to sleep one of my Chows because someone called the city on me for being over the limit (by 1). Why post here? I have information that it was somene on this board along with other people because of a personal vendetta. As I say, I don't care if you hate me, but to make a Chow die because of it is insane. If they had once sliver of compassion for Chows, I would hope the members here could encourage this not to be done again- to anyone.

WELL THANKS TO THE PEOPLE WHO DECIDED TO CALL THE VILLAGE OF LISLE ON ME. NOW MUDDY WILL HAVE TO BE PUT TO SLEEP BECAUSE HE IS THE FIFTH CHOW , THE VILLAGE ALLOWS FOR 4. SAVE THE CHOWS, HUH? YOU SAY I KILLED A CHOW? IF YOU KNEW WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED, YOU WOULD THINK DIFFERENTLY.
WHO'S KILLING CHOWS NOW???
LAURIE STEBER
Last edited by muddydead on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Helping one Chow may not save the world, but it means the world to that one Chow
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: KILLING MUDDY

Post by sdasilva27 »

I don't know what you're referring to and have no idea who you are but I feel sorry for the chow.

Did you really have to post this to 2 different forums though?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Who is Muddy? and whats the THE VILLAGE OF LISLE?
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

OOOOOH I SOOOOO Must have missed something here.......Have no idea what this is about!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Clueless like the others but if your area doesn't allow a 5th dog you shouldn't have gotten it. Also, can't you just rehome the dog instead of letting it put to sleep?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I found Muddy, Muddy was a rescue he was mentioned in the breeder, rescue debate don't know anything else about him though.

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... dy#p135002
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Looks like poster adopted him and was reported for having more dogs than allowed and decided that someone on the forum reported her. Can someone help the chow???
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I've learned from past experience that if your in the process of rescuing a Chow it best to keep it quiet untill the Chow is in your hands, the least people involved and the least people knowing about the Chow the better off the Chow is. There are alot of Ministers wives out there that have to butt in even if it dosn't concern them then it turns into a disaster, the Chow being the victom in it all.

It dosn't matter who is rescuing the Chow as long as its not being abused or used for breeding, "a home is a home no matter how small or big" (Horton the Elephant) Horton said people but i change it to fit my needs, I was impressed with Hortons way of thinking.

ImageImage
Charlotte Paige
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Charlotte Paige »

Muddy is a hard case.
She DID NOT adopt him, she took him in as a rescue, when no other rescue stood up for him. Then her rescue was forced to shut down.
Muddy is the victim of abuse, he had severe "issues" when he came into her rescue. Depression along with other health issues. Laurie's boyfriend bonded VERY quickly with Muddy. Basically Muddy is not an adoptable dog. He has medical issues that Laurie deals with everyday (special baths, meds, etc.). Not many adopters would take in a special needs dog like Muddy.
I am a friend of Laurie's, she is a good person, she has saved several dogs during her time being in rescue and out. Once she shut down the rescue she would still get calls... and turned them over to my sister & I to try to find a rescue to take them. We have been doing the best we can so far. (Special thanks to those rescues.. you know who you are :) )
It really upsets me that someone would call the police on her for this dog. Muddy needs her and her boyfriend!!!! I have met Muddy on several occasions and with each visit he has become more well adjusted.. he has even started to bond with one of her females.. they sleep together with Laurie every night.
So no... Laurie did not go out and adopt this dog.. he came to her.. and I see NOTHING wrong with what she is doing. How many people on this board are over their pet limit by 1 or 2? I live in an apartment.. so I know that my limit is 2.... if I had a house.. I may be very tempted to taking in dogs no one speaks up for.. yanno the ones that are not perfect, byb, bad breeding, etc. Laurie took in my sweet Angel @ 6 months old because no one stood up and took her. She was set to be pts.. Laurie saved her. And anyone that went to woof fest, met my sweet Angel. She is a wonderful dog. And worth saving.
I am not sure if it is like this in other parts of the US but rescues can get so............. political for lack of better words.
So basically Muddy will be put down now... he finally got a taste of happy life and now because of someone on this board....... he will have to be put to sleep.
Any more questions and I will be happy to answer, Laurie said to me on the phone today while crying "I feel like they are telling me I have to kill my sister".
So she is really not up to any personal attacks on her.
I know her post must have be alittle like "wtf??" but it is really directed toward the person that caused this mess.
She was informed by the Lisle Police Dept that it was not one of her neighbors.. they actually are really nice.. I have met them and they love her dogs.
Last edited by Charlotte Paige on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Sweet Charlotte
May 28, 1994 - July 14, 2006
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I didn't read all that but what about calls to the shelter or some sort of petition to get the Chow back to her or at least to another home. Maybe a bribe to one of the shelter workers to get it out...Never will understand shelter thinking, "better to kill then find a home"

These shelters think they are holier then thou but enough pushing to knock them off their self made pedestal always works.

ImageImage
Charlotte Paige
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sometimes I really really like the way you think Jeff.
Yes.. we would love to have suggestions on how we can help keep Muddy happy and alive.
My Sweet Charlotte
Charlotte Paige
Rank 1
Rank 1

By the way.. they have not removed Muddy from her home yet. They are giving her a small window to try to figure it out.
Thing is Muddy has come sooo far in the past year of being with her.. it would be awful to make him start over with new people... Muddy is also a senior... not on his death bed.. but he is a senior.... I just think that poor Muddy has been dealt a very ?@#$!!! hand.
My Sweet Charlotte
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have no doubt someone called, but I would not jump from a call to the caller being a board member. Should this play out that it was a specific member, Laurie should address that person directly- privately. Coming on the board and ranting isn't having a positive effect. Nobody knows what you are talking about. Rehashing the past will also not be helpful. I am sorry if you have to put Muddy down. I would suggest that you rehome one of the other four that are adoptable, or at the very least, take one of the other chows to another house til the fervor dies.
Charlotte Paige
Rank 1
Rank 1

you are right Audddy... no more from me..
My Sweet Charlotte
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

No, you were correct to explain, Julie. I would suggest that others try to help come up with ways to save Muddy, which is what I meant to happen. It is terrible that someone called, but as I said, who can say it was someone here? I would not care to be lumped in with an anonymous caller such as this case, and that is what the first post actually projected. I would choose to stay on the side of resolution instead of accusation.
Charlotte Paige
Rank 1
Rank 1

There are alot of good people on this board.. I met some of them this weekend :)
So yes, I am sorry about my message to the person.. I will remove that if you want me to.
My Sweet Charlotte
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Thank you for clarifying, I don't think any of us was questioning Laurie's intentions but she didn't give us much to go by.
I'm still trying to understand why there are no other alternatives other than putting him down. I think the forum will be happy to do whatever we can to help save Muddy but we need can't offer help without knowing what it is that we can do.
Is Laurie looking for someone to take Muddy or one of her dogs so she can keep him? Or, is she not looking for help at all and just wants to vent? I personally don't believe anyone on this forum would call call the police on her, just my opinion though.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

There must be an alternative for Muddy than to be pts. As Cara&Haley said, let us know what we can do to help. I will help in whatever way I can.
Mia
muddydead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by muddydead »

Sorry, I did not mean for that to be an all inclusive statement. I know there are good people on this board; people that donate money, time and resources to Chow rescue. Muddy was here when I closed the rescue down last year. He is not a candidate for adoption. He was burned and beaten. Now he is used to his new life. Sleeping in the bed, eating ribs, sitting at my boyfriend's feet while he plays guitar. Now that will be over and for what? I would not have posted unless I knew who it was. The other 4 Chows in our family have been with us for 5-9 years. Muddy is the 5th. I would never, never call on someone and risk their Chow having to be pts or taken away... Hate me, but my God, don't hurt a Chow because of it!
This link is to Muddy and the rest of the Chowkids..they are a family.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-Hf_8xVYE
Helping one Chow may not save the world, but it means the world to that one Chow
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

So, how can we help Muddy?

KasperKisses had a similiar situation occur a year and a half ago. She put her thinking cap on and when Reno (renamed Milo) was being summoned by her local ACC, the positive energy of her thinking cap led her to Layla. Layla adopted Milo as a companion to Millie Muppet. Part, if not all (Layla and KasperKisses can correct me) of Milo's bite history stemmed from an undiagnosed brain tumor. So, let's move forward and you tell us how we can help Muddy. There are many members here, new and old, who are open and capable of taking in a special needs chow.

Also, if you really do mean your statement was not to intended to be "all inclusive", please consider changing the subject title to "helping Muddy" vs. "killing Muddy".
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Well if you know who did it I wish I knew as well because that person should be made to pay for his/her actions.
Is there anything we can do..is there anything you can do to save his life? This is horrible. It sounds as if he finally found his home in this world and now he will be pts? Who is saying he has to go? I am confused on why you can't have him...who says you can't? How long do you have?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Charlotte Paige
Rank 1
Rank 1

I tried to post once before, so if this post is redundant... I am sorry.
Laurie wants to keep her chows. She has had her original 4 forever and Muddy came into their lives last year.
Laurie lives on an acre of land, completely fenced in... front & back, with doggy doors for the pooches to come in and out as they please. Her dogs are well cared for.. she is not a hoarder... I just want to get that straight.
Muddy is not an adoptable dog... he really isn't.
But as far as it being a board member.... her first post was in anger because the police had just left her house, basically telling her she had to get rid of one of her children. She has been harassed on here before by someone that was on the board and that was her first thought. But right now that isn't the point.
How can someone get around that limit?
As far as putting Muddy somewhere else for awhile till it dies down.. That would be an option, but it would be unsettling to him. This poor guy has been shuffled around enough.
My Sweet Charlotte
Charlotte Paige
Rank 1
Rank 1

Zhuyos mom wrote:
Also, if you really do mean your statement was not to intended to be "all inclusive", please consider changing the subject title to "helping Muddy" vs. "killing Muddy".
Yes , I agree. I think the subject title was posted out of the heat of the moment.
Laurie, can you switch it to Helping Muddy? I think we really need to get all the positive energy we can right now to help out lil muddflip (one of Laurie's nicknames for him)
My Sweet Charlotte
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

As long as it wasn't one of the neighbors, I'm guessing/hoping the police have more important things to do and won't come back to check on the number of Chows on an acre of land (geez!). If that's not the case, then check with the city or county on what it would take to be able to keep 5 Chows. I remember that as a kid when my parents had German Shepard with litter, the county told them they needed to get a kennel license if we were going to keep them (but they were all adopted). There has to be other options.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I can see the reason for her post, its called pissed off after the police left. In the heat of passion one says alot of things.

Isn't there a license you can get to to board more then 4 dogs? I think 4 is the limit in most places but you can get a kennel lor boarding license or have a rescue back you as a foster. I think there is a few ways you can go about housing more then 4 on your property but you have to go through the shelter or maybe the city, small town you nay be able to get through to the mayor and explain the story. I looked the town up if you need the mayors name, seems to be a nice green tree type community.

90% of code enforcement calls come from neighbors, usually ministers wives or a neighbor upset about something.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage