HELPING MUDDY

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: KILLING MUDDY

Post by fillyok »

Wow! I was pretty freaked out at first when I read this post...wasn't sure what to think. Now that the air has been cleared somewhat it makes a little more sense. As Karen stated, what about acquiring a kennel license? I know the limit here in San Antonio is 5 dogs and that's in the city limits. If you want more, you can apply for the license. Where do you live that the police can come onto your land and count your dogs? Maybe we could do some research if we knew more about where you live, etc.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Hmmm.....this sucks but don't give up there are still things you can do. I agree with the others, see about licenses or special provisions in your area. And certainly don't do anything rash without exhausting all options. If worse comes to worse, couldn't you have one of your chows registered with a friend or family member. They say you can't own five dogs but they can't say the fifth one can't be someone elses that visits you. You have an acre of land so space, smell or noise shouldn't be an issue. Please keep us updated as there are way more people here on this board that want to help than hurt.
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

kennel license may not be so easy in her area. Did a little research and read the animal control code: http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebo ... ook_id=339
it's under Ch 9 if the link doesn't take you all the way there.

9-3-11: LIMITATION ON ANIMALS PER HOUSEHOLD:
(B) No person shall keep or permit more than four (4) mature dogs to be or remain in or about any single-family residence, rooming house, building or lot, or more than one dog in any unit of a multi-family residence within the village except as those circumstances enumerated in section 9-3-10 of this chapter and subsection (A) of this section. A "mature dog" is defined as a dog having reached one year of age.

9-3-10: PROHIBITED ANIMALS:
It shall be unlawful to keep pigs, swine, sheep, cattle, horses, goats or similar animals, or any naturally wild animals, except birds or fish, within the village, except in zoological parks, performing animal exhibitions, educational institutions, veterinary hospitals or animal shelters. (Ord. 86-1379, 1-20-1986)

Nowhere does it mention kennel licenses or other provisions. I plan on having a lot of dogs in the future so did some prior research on this. Not all zones give out kennel licenses. Laurie should call and check nevertheless.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

My area doesn't allow kennels or boarding either I think with all the horses they don't want diseases brought in but they do allow rats and every other disease carrying rodents and there are 5 kennels scattered around just outside the city limits.

Its been mentioned before with other Chows in need and due to the Chows medical needs and the Chow being there for a year already it would make a good news heart throbber, maybe getting the news involved, Paper or TV. It looks a small community and small town folk usually pull together in times of need especially when they find out the Chow either stays or dies, People won't be to happy with the shelter. Stupid laws are made to be fought and protested you just need a few people behind you to get noticed, just like posting a Chow in need in the General section what ever it takes to get the Chow noticed, you just have to get past the people with shelter mentalities.

Even if you had to pay a few bucks to run the story yourself in the local news just to get people involved might be worth the effort.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Katies Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Katies Mom »

An attorney may be willing to help you on this for little or no charge (I know not too many people have extra cash lying around right now, but it may be worth a call or two) if you get in touch with someone who does this type of law. Lawyers can be looked at (although its not a complete listing of lawyers, they have to pay for the service) at http://www.martindale.com. Use your state - a state level search will get more hits and use all practice fields but type in the word "animal" in the "OR" part of the screen on the top left side. I saw a few for IL, but most are dog bite. Also, your state bar association usually has a referral service and you can call them to see what they have on file. A small firm lawyer may know someone if you get to the attorney by phone and they can't help you. We had an issue with an exotic cat locally about 2 years ago and I was actually surprised how many lawyers did this kind of work. The people involved had a ton of money, however so they paid the top dog to do the legal work. Also, please consider what going to the media means, that officer could have given her a break by giving her time to figure it out and you might get an unpleasant or unexpected result if you involve media. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but consider the consequences. The officer may have actually been required to seize the chow immediately. Just my thoughts on the subject. Also, if she has an acre of property, there may be something with the zoning and the number of parcels her property is actually legally considered to be that the attorney could help you look at. Most properties are considered to be one parcel, but this may be different - it is a longshot, but like I said, may be worth a phone call to an attorney who may at least talk with you for little or nothing.
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Thanks to everyone for helping to clear this up. I was thrown for a loop when I saw the OP. I have a hard time believing that a small town wouldn't make an exception. You have many things going in your favor - he's been there for a year, have there been any complaints about smell, noise, etc? If no one paid any attention for a year, why care now all of a sudden? I would think that there would be bigger fish to fry but maybe not in a small community. You also have an acre of land, all fenced in. If there's no chance that any of these dogs get out and they're all being cared for properly and are all fixed, living happily, what's the problem? Please update everyone so that we can continue to think of new ideas or back you up if need be.
rescue

Post by rescue »

What about: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/IL531.html
http://www.adoptapet.com/shelter75982-pets.html

Only one dog listed on petfinder, but there is a special needs 3-leg female on the other site. They take dogs in danger of being put to sleep. Muddy should qualify.

Email: blasingsblues@aol.com
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

What about a petition to the city council. Perhaps if you bring the issue to them they could help. Maybe a special circumstance ????
SweetPea Rocks!!
weenis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by weenis »

Legally subdivide your property and turn ownership over to your husband or another family member, put up a structure.

You can now legally own 8 dogs.
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

I hate to suggest this, but have you considered that one of your neighbors may have complained. Someone who lives in Lisle is more likely to have know about the limits.

It might be hard to get a kennel license. Maybe you need to finish your process for setting up as a non-profit rescue? Then you might qualify as an animal shelter which would give you an exemption from the 4 dog limits of the city ordinance. IYou can get a referral to a lawyer through the DuPage County Bar Association--http://www.dcba.org/default.asp.

By the way, Illinois state law governs issues such as kennel licenses and animal shelters. Although the city zoning laws may come into play on whether you can use your property for such activities. Here is how the Illinois State Compiled Statutes define a kennel operator, animal shelter, and foster home:

(225 ILCS 605/2) (from Ch. 8, par. 302)
(Text of Section before amendment by P.A. 95‑550)
Sec. 2. Definitions. As used in this Act unless the context otherwise requires:
"Kennel operator" means any person who operates an establishment, other than an animal control facility, veterinary hospital, or animal shelter, where dogs or dogs and cats are maintained for boarding, training or similar purposes for a fee or compensation; or who sells, offers to sell, exchange, or offers for adoption with or without charge dogs or dogs and cats which he has produced and raised. A person who owns, has possession of, or harbors 5 or less females capable of reproduction shall not be considered a kennel operator.
"Animal shelter" means a facility operated, owned, or maintained by a duly incorporated humane society, animal welfare society, or other non‑profit organization for the purpose of providing for and promoting the welfare, protection, and humane treatment of animals. "Animal shelter" also means any veterinary hospital or clinic operated by a veterinarian or veterinarians licensed under the Veterinary Medicine and Surgery Practice Act of 2004 which operates for the above mentioned purpose in addition to its customary purposes.
"Foster home" means an entity that accepts the responsibility for stewardship of animals that are the obligation of an animal shelter, not to exceed 4 animals at any given time. Permits to operate as a "foster home" shall be issued through the animal shelter.
muddydead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: HELPING MUDDY

Post by muddydead »

Thank you to all of those that have given helpful suggestions. The police called me today and are going to work with me, giving me some time. They encouraged me to call the Village and petition for a rescue license. I also called an atty. in light of last year's events. He sent me some of the codes in our town that are more in depth than just the straight-forward "Only 4".
I talked with the officer about these and he is looking into them. Yes, this is a little town where people love dogs. Most dogs are cared for just as human childeren are cared for (or even better!). I cannot have kids. These are my kids and when I look into their faces, I see the faces of rescue Chows. That is why I started rescuing Chows in danger of being pts. I encouraged people to come out and meet our Chows and visit our rescue. Only 2 came-DDB and TARA, both loved it here. Believe it or not, there are people in rescue who would rather you not rescue because you are not adhering to "their" standards. Everyone does it differently. These are the people that threw gas on the fire last year regading the Chow mix from texas. I did not know the extent of it until I saw my 3 inch thick court depo (dropped and NOT animal related). I was shocked to see the emails sent from these "approved" rescues and what they encouraged other people to do in order to "stress" me out.
I was doing what I could to do my part to save Chows. All are vetted, cared for in my own home, and spoiled. What happened last year was horrible I agree, but no one ever asked about what lead up to these events, what my plans were etc. I don't want to rehash it. I shut down, Chows in my area died. Now I am petitioning the Village in order to get a rescue license. If certain people would not have called and emailed untrue information to the authorities, I could have stayed in rescue. The A/C around here are getting quite sick of this kind of sabatoge, but say that it happens all of the time. "Onyx" a black, overbred Chow unable to be adopted out in the town next to mine, asked for my help. I went and picked her up in less than 15 minutes and made sure she got into rescue for we have no Chow rescue in this state (now). No one else could/would take her and even though these other rescue knew about her, none spoke up. If I can get my license, that would be great and I would be so gracious and thankful if people who also love Chows in my area could come and help. Right now, I am concerned with Muddy I would give everything I have to be abe to keep him here... Blasing Blue Chow Rescue as "rescue" above stated is a group that I started to help Chows in the midwest by working with other rescues, transporters, voluteers and foster homes. Since I could not keep them all here, I thought I could possibly stll help with a rescue network.
Helping one Chow may not save the world, but it means the world to that one Chow
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am very glad to hear that the police are willing to work with you. Please keep us updated and let us know if there is anything you need help with. If we all help out with whatever we can (money, knowledge, experience, etc.) , we can help these chows out. Good luck!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Yes, thanks for an update. From what I've seen on this board so far, most people on here will do whatever they can to help chows. Please let us know if you need anything!
Charlotte Paige
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Charlotte Paige »

Thanks to some of the great ideas given... we may still have hope. We are working on something right now.
All new ideas are still welcome in case this does not work.
It is nice that what started as a negative post (heat of the moment remember), has turned into everyone pulling together to help Muddy.
This is why I am a proud member of this board. As I have stated before it is great to be a part of such passionate people here to help this breed.
When (notice I said WHEN, cause we are going to work this out!) Muddy is safe, we will have to make a special video of him to share to all that were concerned about his well being.
Thank you :)
My Sweet Charlotte
May 28, 1994 - July 14, 2006
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'd love to see a video of Muddy!! I am confident it will all work out for him.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
muddydead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by muddydead »

Thanks for caring about Muddy and trying to help. Anyone who is the area and would like to come by and visit, walk Chows, just play in the yard, whatever is more than welcome. I suppose this will only apply if the Village approves my petition, but regardless, I always like to make new Chow friends. You may wonder why I keep struggling to help them after all the past events. I cannot stand to see Chows on postings that are going to die. The Chicagoland area is such a great place for adopters.
I had always thought that if death row Chows could just get here, they would be adopted. I see other rescues that have had their rescue Chows for 1-3 years. I believe that rescue networking helps enlarge the area for potential adopters, so that these Chows will have a better shot at being placed in forever homes. Peaches is going to her new home for her 2 week trial. Adopted by a sweet lady who also works in the medical field, Peaches the three-legged girl will never want for love or care again.

Chows that would die because because no one can take them.
Chows that would never have had the chance at a loving home.

All I am trying to do is help a little bit. I own no kennel, 2-3 Chows at a time used to stay here in the house with us, getting a feeling of what it is like to be part of a family. God blessed me witha a great place for them to stay and I would really like to continue to be a part of the chain of wonderful people that help get them to their forever homes.
PS here is a video of Muddy. Please excuse my "doggy speak".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-Hf_8xVYE
Last edited by muddydead on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helping one Chow may not save the world, but it means the world to that one Chow
fergie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fergie »

I think what you are doing is great! I hope everything goes well for muddy!
Thanks Sweatpea
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear.
Tabatha
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Muddy is a handsome boy. I can tell he loves you. I hope and pray that your petition will be approved.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I hope that things are easier for you starting now - it sounds like you have been given such a hard time. Know that what you do for chows is just wonderful and I hope you get all the support you ever need.

Muddy is just adorable and how wonderful that he found you and you found him.

I have been working with small dog rescue - every dog but a chow, lol, just where I happened to be at the time - but chows are truly where my heart is.
Mia
muddydead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by muddydead »

Hey, thanks Mia and Cora and everyone offering support, it means the world!!
Since someone called the Village of Lisle on us for being "over the limit" we have had to ask TLC to take in Cody. He is the Chow boy that was dropped off at an IN shelter by his owners. He is a great Chow, very, very friendly and now you can tell he is feeling a bit lost. He will follow you around all day wanting to be loved on, which of course we do, but you can tell he is really in need of his special someone.
Here is a short video tour of our place. Julie's (Charlotte Paige) niece calls it "Chow-A-Palooza". I too pray the the Village will approve our petition. We put in a lot of effort on this place so that we could help Chows, as you will see. It is sad to think it was all in vain.
A link to Cody on Petfinder is below that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7mZUA9plIE
Cody
http://search.petfinder.com/shelterSear ... erid=IL531
tabitha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tabitha »

Peaches the three-legged chow chow was the winner of

Dogster Dog of the Day - October 21, 2008

We were doing everything in our power to get these chows rescued and adopted.

If you click on the link you can see Peaches before grooming and after.

http://blogs.dogster.com/dog_of_the_day ... /#comments
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Cody and Peaches seem like such nice chows. You have a nice big area for them! I hope all goes well with your petition!!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Peaches seems like the perfect rags to riches example with those 2 pics side-by-side!

Good luck with everything!
muddydead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by muddydead »

I drove Peaches to her adopter's house this morning. She is on the two week trial period. Super nice lady, her and Peaches are an excellent match. Her place was so nice, I asked her if she would adopt me too! Now, we have to try for Cody. I am waiting. for fri. to talk to the zoning board. By the way Mufasa in Illinois is an ugent status case, sorry I put Kodia, she in in a no-kill facility along Ghost. Both are on petfinder, so I would believe that both are safe and awaiting adoption.
debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: From Milo

Post by debraschow »

Milo can't believe anyone would think bad of Laurie. John, Debra and Milo are Laurie's cheerleaders. Charlotte is right, it is the coolest place for any dog, much less a Chow. They are pampered beyond belief!!! And Laurie is a Chow's best friend!!!!

Debra, John and MILO
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!