California Proposition 2 - Confinement of Animals

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

California Proposition 2 - Confinement of Animals

Post by Jeff&Peks »

This is similer to what Janet just posted. Puppymills.

Proposition 2, the proposed Standards for Confining Farm Animals initiative statute[1], is a California ballot proposition in that state's general election on November 4, 2008. The proposition would add a chapter to Division 20 of California's Health and Safety Code to prohibit the confinement of certain farm animals in a manner that does not allow them to turn around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs. The measure would deal with three types of confinement: veal crates, battery cages, and sow gestation crates. If approved by the voters, the statute would become operative on January 1, 2015. Farming operations would have until that date to implement the new space requirements for their animals, and the measure would prevent animals in California from being confined in these ways in the future.

Assertions by proponents
Proposition 2, or The California Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act [11] as it was previously known until the Secretary of State amended it to Standards for Confining Farm Animals initiative statute[12], is a modest measure that ends the cruel and inhumane confinement of specified animals on factory farms, ending the practice of forcing them to spend their entire lives in spaces so small that they are physically unable to turn around, lie down, or fully extend their legs and/or wings. The initiative does not require that they be kept outside of cages or live outdoors. It simply requires more space per animal in the cages/pens which already house them.

Prop 2 does the following:

Prevents cruelty to animals
Currently, large-scale, industrialized, "factory" farms house veal calves, breeding pigs, and egg-laying hens in tightly confined enclosures that are barely larger than their own bodies. Veal calves are tethered by the neck and spend their entire lives standing side-by-side to each other, unable to even turn around or lie down fully. Mature female pigs are placed into restrictive pens, with metal bars and concrete floors, which prevent them from taking even a single step forwards or backwards for the remainder of their lives, while they are impregnated. Egg-laying hens in modern housing systems are placed into battery cages, where the space given to each bird is no larger than a single sheet of notebook paper, and the animals must have their beaks painfully cut off to prevent them from attacking each other due to overcrowding. Animals living their entire lives in such overcrowded conditions often develop severe medical and/or psychological problems. The American Veterinary Medical Association agrees that the best housing environments for farm animals must take into consideration freedom of movement and expression of normal behaviors. [13] The Animal Welfare Act, while extensive, applies only to the transportation and sale of animals used for research, pets, or exhibition. [14] There are currently no federal laws which require humane living conditions for farm animals. A law similar to Prop 2 was passed in Arizona two years ago, which applied to veal crates and gestation pens but not battery cages, resulting in the phasing out of these factory farming methods by meat producers nationwide.[15] [16] Thus, the measure improved not only animal welfare in the state, but it encouraged reform in the rest of the nation as well. Industry leaders agree that a similar experience will likely take place in the egg industry when Californians pass Prop 2.

In fact, the banning of battery cages in Europe has already led to the creation of innovative housing systems for egg-laying hens in those countries. These are known as "furnished" or "enriched" cages, because they include perches and nests for the birds, in addition to wire flooring. Studies have been underway in the E.U. for many years to investigate the various benefits of different housing systems for egg-laying hens, and so far they have shown that animals kept in enriched cages are under far less stress than those kept in battery cages. This is because they able to move around freely, perch, dust-bathe, and lay their eggs in nests. They also show far less aggression towards each other, since they can simply move away from each other when conflicts arise. A European Commission Report done in 2008 has confirmed the benefits of banning battery cages for egg-laying hens. [17] A Canadian study completed in 2008 concluded that conventional battery cages could easily be converted into furnished colony cage systems, and confirmed the expected improvements in animal welfare. [18]

Prop 2 is endorsed by The Humane Society of the United States, State Humane Association of California, the ASCPA, Compassion in World Farming, East Bay SPCA, Placer SPCA, Humane Society of Ventura County, Santa Cruz SPCA, Palo Alto Humane Society, Oakland Animal Services, Orange County SPCA, Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA, San Francisco SPCA, Humane Society of Truckee-Tahoe, Sacramento SPCA, SPCA-LA, and the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA. [19]
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: California Proposition 2 - Confinement of Animals

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad to hear this. Progress is being made.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
weenis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by weenis »

Vote NO on Prop 2.
weenis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by weenis »

Jeff&Peks wrote:hens ... living their entire lives in such overcrowded conditions often develop ... psychological problems.
You have got to be <BLEEP>ing kidding me.

This is insane.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Figures,

I didn't write the bill Bozo i posted it even though i'm all for it. don't worry you seem to be the new breed of Chow owners that this site wants.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Oprah did a show on this last week. That should bring lots of attention to it. She covered both sides of the debate.
Why am I not surprised gun man doesn't care how farm animals are mistreated and spend their entire lives.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I wish I HAD written it!

There is no reason to make any animal suffer during it's life for a few more pennies profit. I would have no problem paying more for milk, eggs or meat so that they can be treated at with a minimum of humanity.
Mia
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I havn't heard anything coming from the other side yet even though they keep showing vote yes on TV, the only thing i can think of coming from the No side would be prices going up becouse of the extra care needed, I still can't figure out why dairy products and produse cost more if they are from the US but cheaper if it comes from China.

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

It must be cheaper for an egg to get an airline seat from China to the US than to give it's mom an extra couple of square inches.
Mia
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

The farmers on Oprah said not only would it drastically increase prices it would cause them to go out of business because they can't afford to make even these limited changes to their caging systems and that we would start getting eggs from Mexico or China.
I am trying to find 'free range' products to buy but not having much luck here in Alabama.
It is horribly cruel how all of the animals are treated. Chickens squished together in cages their whole lives..never once walking on solid ground. Pigs kept in pens where they can't even turn around...just stand in one position all day or lay down in a pen as wide as they are and one foot longer then they are. Veal calves chained and kept sick in pens they can't turn around in. Dairy cows...it's just not necessary. "factory farming".
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

It really is pretty sickening - I cannot understand how they cannot find a better way to keep these poor animals that isn't so cost prohibitive.
Mia
weenis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by weenis »

Laura wrote:The farmers on Oprah said not only would it drastically increase prices it would cause them to go out of business because they can't afford to make even these limited changes to their caging systems and that we would start getting eggs from Mexico or China.
Exactly.

You would be ruining the livelihood of farmers across the nation. And IF the farmer can afford to implement this process, he'll only be able to continue affording it by passing on costs to the customer.

I would rather buy eggs US over importation any day, and it's stupid laws like this that make business look at outsourcing. I work in technology in the manufacturing industry, and this country has SCREWED domestic steel with taxes and tariffs that it makes so much more sense just purchase it overseas and import it to US. Same goes with machining, and for the most part, manufacturing in general.
Mia wrote:I would have no problem paying more for milk, eggs or meat so that they can be treated at with a minimum of humanity.
You might not, but I do. It's getting to the point that it would make more sense for me to buy a bunch of chickens and a couple cows. Hell, they'd pay for themselves. When the milks no good, bullet to the cow and i have steak!

Farming is farming guys. It's not always pretty, but someone has to do it. Is it inhumane? No.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Farming is farming and you and your kid are the ones eating that diseased and contaminated crap from sick and tortured animals pooping on each other and eating it, Feed your kid all that good old farm food from sick and tortured animals the doctors and hospitals will love you. Jeez, try getting some common sense in your life. You would be safer and smarter just to take you arsenal out and kill and process you own food for the family. No need to torture it first, just kill it then eat it.

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I cannot believe it.

What about all the "free range" farmers? They are making it. And, I will support them. Yes! It is inhumane to confine a living being to standing or sleeping in place - no freedom of movement.
Mia
weenis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by weenis »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Farming is farming and you and your kid are the ones eating that diseased and contaminated crap from sick and tortured animals pooping on each other and eating it, Feed your kid all that good old farm food from sick and tortured animals the doctors and hospitals will love you. Jeez, try getting some common sense in your life. You would be safer and smarter just to take you arsenal out and kill and process you own food for the family. No need to torture it first, just kill it then eat it.
Have you ever worked on a farm?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Yep I was the all american hillbilly kid not only that lived and worked on a farm in Washington, we kept the chicken and pig coops clean and the chickens and pigs were allowed to run around, not only that just like Opiie I sold green and red apples on the side of the road. I think I may have called my grandfather Pa. Even as a kid they had to hide the killings from me or I would have torched the house and the humans would have went with it.

None of this has anything to do with killing or eating the animals its whats going on before the kill, I can't understand why people can't get that through there heads as I said your the one eating that crap and your paying for it not only with cash but your health. China has the highest rate of cancer and disease in the world all coming from filth, environment and stupid Americans buying it. Humans would sell thier kids if they could get a few bucks out of it, actually they all ready do, China again.

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Weenis, you have to admit - the farm animals that we eat would not need all the chemicals pumped into them if they lived healthily, cleanly and happily. And, the less chemicals they get, the less you get passed onto you when you eat it.

If you can't understand the humanity of it, understand the unhealthiness of it.
Mia
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Europe has already started implementing non-battery cages for chickens. The chickens have enough space to move around/roost, shake their feathers, and even have dust so they can bathe. This change has resulted in happier, healthier chickens and that means more eggs.

This video shows the poor chickens in their filthy conditions...makes me glad I don't eat eggs. I buy them once in a while for the pack, but from now on I'll spend the extra cash for cage-free eggs.
http://video.hsus.org/?fr_story=4fc85bb ... 4b37&rf=bm
weenis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by weenis »

fillyok wrote:Europe has already started implementing non-battery cages for chickens.
So? Europe does lot of things that are stupid also.
fillyok wrote:The chickens have enough space to move around/roost, shake their feathers, and even have dust so they can bathe. This change has resulted in happier, healthier chickens and that means more eggs.
Sure, more eggs per chicken in a space that could easily handle double the amount of chickens that could result in more eggs.
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

We rely on animals for so much...food, clothing, companionship, etc. Many of these animals give their lives so we can eat, norish our bodies, grow, develop...is it really too much to ask just to give them a little dignity and show them a little humanity before they make the ultimate sacrifice for us? Animals are living, breathing creatures with brains and nerves. They feel pain, they can be frightened...what does it say about us if we say we don't care if they feel pain for months or years before being killed for food. What does it say about us as human, the living beings that are suppose to be "superior" if we allow an animal, who has probably never hurt anyone or anything in their lives to live frightened in a cage or pen too small for them to lie down or turn around, inflict daily abuse on them then kill them so we can eat a hamburger.

I am not a vegetarian, I eat meat on a daily basis (organics and free-range, local if possible), but I believe there is a special place in hell for people that have so little regard for any other life other than their own to not want to see the animals we eat treated better while they are alive. I think we own them that much. I hope this propostition passes.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
weenis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by weenis »

And rumor has it plants feel pain as well.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Yep thats true but who can say its a rumor, Plants and trees need water, food and air to live just like we do and with out them you would be dead. plants and tree's also bleed when they are cut, it dosn't have to be red to be blood.

I have always wondered why they have to pass laws that should be just comon senxe but thanks for clearly that up for me, becouse of you I now see the reason.

ImageImage
weenis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by weenis »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Yep thats true but who can say its a rumor, Plants and trees need water, food and air to live just like we do and with out them you would be dead. plants and tree's also bleed when they are cut, it dosn't have to be red to be blood.

I have always wondered why they have to pass laws that should be just comon senxe but thanks for clearly that up for me, becouse of you I now see the reason.
Actually Jeff, what i was getting at is, you can attempt to humanize whatever you want. And when you're all done, the whole world will be a big bubble wrapped dream world (The Republic of Kommifornia is almost there... :roll: ) and you'll starve to death.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Say your prayers varmints cause Weenis is the rootinest tootinest outlaw in that there west :roll:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

As always like most Rambo hunters your relating inhumane cruelty and torture with eating meat, eat all the meat you want, you can even eat dog or go out and shoot Bambi but they don't have to be tortured and live in hell to fill your dinner plate. Believe it or not tortured animals don't enhance your *Censored Word* life like the Chinese believe.. Does your meat taste better and give you more *Censored Word* drive when the guy thats taking the animal to slaughter walks around the truck with a chain saw cutting off any limbs or heads sticking out of the cages or truck?

ImageImage