Vicster

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Vicster

Post by fillyok »

Ike does look like he's heading for the Texas coast. Those poor people evacuated for Gustav and are barely getting over Dolly and now Ike comes along...this is going to be bad. :cry: Let's pray he dies down like Josephine...tropical depression beats hurricane any day.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Ya never know....the darned thing could change its mind the next time you look :roll: SEEMS to be doing like Rita did.....hit along Tx & La.....but again it could go somewhere else....from what I can tell is they don't know WHERE YET??? Just where the models say THIS TIME. Won't have a good idea until Wed. And yes, I'm prayin' it fizzles out and is a Tropical Storm...Tx could use a LITTLE rain from what I hear :wink: NOBODY needs a Hurricane and they are BAD no matter where they go...... :twisted: And nobody feels worse for the people that endure a Hurricane than me, thats for sure :cry: Tx evacuated for Gustav??? I didn't know that......

Thanks Sweetpea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Waaahoooo Nita, looks like its headin' to Mexico MAYBE :D Guess I won't get to eat that gumbo with ya after all and you might get to go to the wedding :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Vicky,

I was just thinking the same thing. The indecision of whether to go or stay is driving me nuts! By Wednesday afternoon we should know more about Ike's direction. Marty volunteered to stay home with Mimi and the cats in case Ike comes this way. I've been stressing over leaving Mimi at home in my in-laws care. Not that they don't love her too, but they just aren't nuts about pets as I am. So this may be for the best even though I really want him to go with us.

If Marty stays home, he thinks I can cook the jambalaya. Geez, I can't even carry the darn heavy pot much less know all the tricks to cooking the jambalaya right! Marty has already cooked the meat, sausage, and veggies and they are frozen. He says he can talk me through the process by long distance. Sure glad we have roll-over minutes to spare! Maybe those folks in Michigan won't know what a good jambalaya tastes like if mine turns out gummy or whatever. Oh joy!

I'll keep you posted on our decision. Sure hope you get to stay home this weekend!

Nita
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Thats right Nita, only another Southerner would know what a GOOD Jambalaya tastes like and you know ALL of our food is good (even when its not so great, to us) so they will LOVE it even if you don't think its the best you ever had LOL!!! I think you will BOTH get to go and it will be a beautiful wedding with GREAT food. :D So now I know who to get to make the Jambalaya for The BIG EASYChow Fest when I have it :wink: ......now that I know we will STILL have a house to have it :lol: :lol: How does end of Sept or first part of Oct sound??? I'm so excited after seeing the weather this morning that the HIGH will be over us in a strong way (so they said) this A.M. that I'm gonna unload the SUV. I have a new perspective on WHAT I need to bring and WHAT I HAVE TO HAVE that I'm gonna re-evauluate my what to pack and take for next time #-o Amazing the new prespective running gives you huh??? There are ALOT of things I should have just put in the attic and left here, and few that I should of packed where I could FIND IT :lol: :lol: There is also something to be said about AIR-WATER TIGHT containers LOL!!!
If you could of seen my poor lil' grand-daughter Cailey's face when I took a turn and one of the small suitcases slide and pinned her head to the window (didn't hurt her) :shock: I asked her if she could push it back and she said NO.....could have left her like that to keep her out of trouble for the trip :lol: :lol: But had to pull the entire caravan over to fix the landslide in the SUV :lol: Next time will be different thats for sure =; Hey, maybe Marty can talk Keith into moving if I have a Chow Fest, and maybe there won't be a next time for us LOL!!!Yeah RIGHT :roll:
Hope nothing changes with the way the storms looks now, and you get to enjoy the wedding and I'm sure the beautiful weather in Michigan, hope you two have a wonderful time!!!! I'm jealous by the way, would love some cool weather and senery right about now :D :D I hate the way things smell down here after bad weather, don't you??
Heres to a rainy weekend AT HOME :wink:
HUGS to Mimi from K & K and thanks for being there
Vicki

Thanks Sweetpea!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

The way Ike is going, Jerryo and Ginger Bear's mom might have to head for higher ground.

Jambalaya???? Yum! You're making me hungry. I made it 2 times in my life...once was in Korea, so of course it was awesome. :wink: I have nothing to compare it to though. I have a couple "cajun" friends...one makes the best dirty rice and the other makes the best gumbo. Now I'm REALLY hungry!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Jerryo is close to Houston was talkin' about movin' there ummm I think??? And may be alright if IKE heads to Brownsville or closer to Mexico. Not sure where GingerBears Mom is??? Jerryo your welcome to come to LOWER ground ummm MUCH LOWER GROUND :lol: :lol: with the furfamily and your honey if you want too :lol: :lol:
Nita & I could russle up some GREAT cajun food together....kinda makes me hungry thinkin' about it too LOL!!!! I think you should head on down if we put together a Chow Fest :wink:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Vicki,

As it stands now, Marty wants to stay home just in case Ike changes course. Mom is still trying to talk him into going. Good luck!

We'll be back by next Monday so have the Cajun Chow Fest weekend after next or thereafter. Are you interested in going to Houston on November 1 & 2nd for the Houston Chow Fest? That's when Fillyok can make it too. Something fun to think about for a change!

Nita
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Marty go with your wife.....IKE ain't comin' here, he's goin' to Tx :lol: Did that work???? I didn't think so..... but I had to give it a try :lol: :lol:
I didn't know they were havin' a Chow Fest in Houston!!!! Sure would love to go and I would LOVE to meet fillyok too :D :D Hey, and my Birthday is the 8th and its Huntin' season too LOL will be lookin' for something fun to do while Keith is in Arkansas :roll:
Is all this posted in the Fests section??? I haven't looked there in a while??? Would love to follow you & Marty if you two are going if I can work it out to go :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Hey Nita, we should bring poor fillyok something good to eat she sounds really hungry sometimes :wink: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

you are all making me hungry, havent eaten proply for days, as I have been so worried, so went onto web and found this
Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients:
2 tablespoon oil
1 pound of boneless chicken breast , cut into small cubes
1/2 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup water
1 (14 1/2 oz) can tomatoes, chopped with juice
8 ounces polish sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
pepper to taste
dash cayenne pepper
Preparation:
Heat oil; sauté chicken and sausage for 5 minutes, then add onion, green pepper and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes longer, then add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.
Jambalaya recipe serves 6.
hope it tastes as nice as it sounds.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Eating always makes us feel better Carolyn....I think I gained a few pounds while running from the storm. I may not be able to do anything about what I'm worried about, but I can SURE EAT :lol: :lol: Let us know how your recipe tastes.....funny thats the first recipe I've seen where the ingredients are served OVER rice, most all Jambalaya ingredients are mixed and cooked IN the rice.
Heres a QUICK yummy recipe that I use at alot of parties we have and there usually isn't ANY left over
1 lb sausage cut into bite size pieces
2 cups of Uncle Bens Long Grain Rice
1 stick Butter
1 Bag Seasoning blend...(frozen onions, green peppers etc)
1 16 oz can tomatoe sauce
1 can French Onion Soup
1 can Beef Consume'
Dump it all in a lg baking dish
Bake until rice is done and liquid is absorbed about an hr
Stir every now and then.....takes about 5 mins to put it together and its really good. You can add any kind of meat to this dish such as chicken or any other you want to add....works well in a crock pot too :wink:
Marty's is probably different from this one as they have MANY different ways to make it.....this one is red and QUICK,they have brown ones too that are really good as well. More made from scratch....but I'm a quick sort of girl :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Vicki,

Marty's version doesn't have tomatoes so I guess that makes his brown. He usually has pork, sausage, sometimes chicken, along with onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic cooked down.

By the way, he's still concerned about Ike and the northern turn when it arrives in Texas. So now he may be going but we're taking Mimi with us. Tomorrow may be a different scenario. I just want to get on the road and head north!

Stay tuned.
Nita
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Nita, I figured Marty cooked the good one LOL!!!
Well, and they say women are fickle LOL!!! Hope you have a safe and fun trip....give lil' Mimi a hug for me//// Kearra & Kyra said to tell Mimi Waaahoooo!!!!ROAD TRIP :D :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

O.K. while you are still all sleeping, I have been going through the posts on the internet for apartments, in Pinetown, unfortunatly none of them allow pets, and one said I could take my parrot as it is in a cage, but I am still looking, I took the day off work sick leave, hell he owes it to me 6 years and never a day off, and I am now cooking my supper,
sausage, rice, seafood, onion,garlic,sundried tomatoes,corn, curry powder, chili sauce, salt and pepper,mushrooms, all in my big bowel and put into the micro on low for an hour, lets see what this combination tastes like, you are all welcome to join me for supper, going to be a hell of a lot left over.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Now your cookin' like a Cajun, Carolyn!!! :lol: :lol: Dump it all in and season it until it tastes good :lol: :lol:
God, I hope you find something SOON. Sounds like your boss owes you another day or two. I don't think I have ever gone 1 yr without missin' a day much less 6 :shock: Did you ask your boss if he knows of anyplace??? Always put the word out.....ya never know. When you go to the store ASK everyone you see.....I ain't shy, can you tell :lol: I'm still sayin' prayers for you

Thanks Sweetpea!