Vicster

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Vicster

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"Sounds like a plant'

Been doing some gardening?
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

#-o Plan... my friend.. plan... :roll: :lol:
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Nita, is the power back on where you are? I hope your generator gas holds out. It must be crazy hot/humid there.

Vicster, are you still heading home on Sunday? Have you been able to enjoy a little bit of Hot Springs?

They closed the last of the shelters here in San Antonio yesterday. There were still some people there, but I guess they made other arrangements for them. A lot of people didn't have the money to go back home so Valero gave some gas cards to help them out. I just can't imagine going through all this and then not being able to go back home. Unfortunately a lot of people left their pets at the shelter they set up. They're allowing 10 days for them to recover them and then they'll be placed for adoption or in a rescue. Not sure why people would go to the trouble to bring them here and then leave them...
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Phyllis,

Our power was restored late yesterday afternoon. So our generator is finally able to get a rest. Apparently many of our neighbors were not so fortunate as the hum of generators was loud this morning. My sister and mother still don't have power. I came to the office today and was amazed at the amount of power line damage along the way. Many of the residential areas in Hammond are still without power. Entergy has a lot of work ahead of them. Gas stations have lines with so many people using generators.

Now we have Hurricane Ike to keep an eye on. Should know more about his path by Sunday or Monday. I just hope he chooses someplace other than here.

Haven't heard from Vicky. Many folks returning to New Orleans to find they don't have power. I hope they get them back up soon.

Nita
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Good to hear you're back up and running and so is your electricity. :wink: Let's hope Vicki comes home to good news.

I was checking out Ike a little while ago...looks like Florida is going to see Ike up close and personal, but he still has plenty of time to turn back. Let's pray for that!! The Red Cross has taken a beating this year with the earlier floods in the MidWest, the fires in California and now hurricanes/tropical storms. They need monetary donations now more than ever.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Vicster, looks like Ike isn't going to be nice and go somewhere else, now it's headed straight for ya. I would be moving, I couldn't deal with that, and they say the season is starting early this year, oh man! Hope it doesn't go Cat 4 or 5 again. Looks like the west coast of Florida is gonna take a beating as well. :shock:
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Vicki,

hate to say it but Ike is headed for the gulf. Fingers crossed that it goes north in the Atlantic before it reaches you

David
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL Everybody, FINALLY made it home late yesterday evening....EXAUSTED :cry: :cry:The dh & family decided that they wanted to go home and we headed out at 6 am Fri. morning like our butts were on fire LOL!!! Not my idea.....thats for sure!!! So nope didn't even get to see Hot Springs. We were without power from what we heard for only 6 hrs.......so the freezer inside that I forgot to clean out was fine. =D= K & K along with Lily were soooooo happy to be back in their own yard and house. We had very minor damage, one gate that fell and the kids trampoleen was damaged, along with a few shingles missing off the roof, one 10 ft lemon tree was up rooted. NO BIG DEAL......lots of leaves and mess to clean up. Passed thru Layfette with lots of trees down along the way, with signs down.....mostly those great big ones with the huge metal posts holding them up. Traffic was surprising light, only was bad where the signals were out due to power outage.
My family has announced that if IKE comes this way they are boarding up the house and staying here :shock: :shock: There will be ALOT of people do this because they have just returned home, missed work, had to pay motel bills and gas expenses along with food so most won't be able to afford to get out this soon after this storm. As for me I still am REFUSING to unpack my SUV and if I have to run again it will be with my grandkids 5 mo old, 5 yr * 7 yrs along with the furkids BY MY SELF. My daughter HAS to work. I hate to put the kids and furkids in harms way when I can just drive out of here.....even if I am exhausted. I'll try and find somewhere way closer this time though.....and hopefully after crossing Cuba it won't get bigger than a 1 or 2 which will be much better. Have my fingers crossed anyway. God I hope and pray that IKE goes somewhere else. But it sure isn't lookin' good for someone if it heads into the Gulf and it looks again like its headed in our direction even though.....its too far out for ANYONE to know yet. Just like with Gustav.....they didn't expect it to cross Cuba and it did......that was what spared us from going under.....the angle the storm came in. 2 of my best friends that flooded in Katrina in Ms. did however get water again. One had 8 inches and the other got 12 inches. Better than 12 ft though....no matter how you look at it...ITS STILL WORK....pullin' carpet and sheet rock. I am heartsick because the one that got 12 inches, she and her dh are nearing 60-70 yrs old in poor health. She told me the church groups are out there helping them..... =D= =D= My niece in Baton Rouge did fine and didn't have her baby yet....they said they got alot of damage there but faired ok with their home but did get scared with the tarnado warnings.
Ms Kyra finally decided she couldn't hold the poop anymore.....and let it rip under the dining room table before we left while the family was playin' a nice card game LOL talk about clear a room FAST :lol: :lol: First time she EVER pooped inside but I was just happy she finally did LOL!!!Poor babies were both upset but considering where they have been in the past they did WONDERFUL, got along GREAT and never had an issue with each other. I however did have issues with the Pug and other lil' NOT POTTY TRAINED yappers who did do ALOT of yappin'.....I will NEVER own any other breed. Especially not a male LOL!!!
I agree ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and I'm sooooo ready to NOT LIVE HERE ANYMORE.......Hopefully the dh has decided to move after this and will get started on building us a new home in Ms.....that is if he has ANY GOOD SENSE LEFT :roll: I'll let ya know on that one :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Vicky, glad to hear that the house wasn't flooded and not much major damage, You are right, get the he double hockey sticks if Ike gets close, it isn't worth it.

David
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Welcome home!
I hope you and family get to stay for awhile this time...
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Vicky,

Welcome back and sure glad your home was in good shape (relatively speaking). Definitely don't unpack the SUV. Just wash the clothes and get ready for the next one.

The computer models on Ike change every time they are updated. By Monday or Tuesday we will have a better idea what it will do. Hope the front comes down in time to protect Louisiana. We're supposed to attend a wedding in Michigan next weekend. If Ike comes here we're staying home.

Get some rest.
Nita
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I was talking with a co-worker this morning and we both agreed they hyped up Gustav so much and then it didn't cause much damage (relatively), so now people may not take Ike as seriously as they should. I think they're comparing Ike to Andrew (1992). It's a crapshoot where Ike is going to make landfall, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I wish December would get here...this hurricane season is crazy!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Its good to be home. Nita, I'm not sure I'm going anywhere this time either.......guess will have to see WHERE IKE is going and how bad it is before deciding that one. Right now Don't WANT TO GO!!! LOL~~~Funny thing, Laurie, the girl that came with me to Chow Fest....she didn't leave for Katrina....almost died, and didn't leave for Gustav....everything was fine.....now she says shes going to Houston for IKE :shock: And I'm wanting to stay home LOL!!! Who is making the right decisions between the two of us??? Ummmmm I don't know......I know it wasn't the right one during Katrina for her though......
Fillyok- Its not that they hyped Gustav up......its more like they(our local government) were caught with their pants down with Katrina and they knew the WORLD was watching them :lol: :lol: NOW people are tired and broke and just may not have to money to run A WEEK LATER.....Its exhausting running from a storm, way too much togetherness with the family, and then very expensive. Then as you see with Gustav.....could be ALL FOR NOTHING......Thats why people get noncomplacient sp with Hurricanes. You run and nothing happens and you could have stayed home :roll: I'm ready for Oct. myself, things usually start calming down as the water cools off....cant remember the last time we had a storm in Oct>>> Can you Nita????
I do know one thing......Hurricane Season is WAY MORE ACTIVE then it has been in the past and I'm not sure if this is abnormal or going to be the normal from now on.......I'm starting to think the later is true #-o

Thanks Sweetpea!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I hear ya, people can't afford to leave, but on the other hand, they really can't afford NOT to. Kind of darned if you do, darned if you don't. We had lots of people stranded here in San Antonio and surrounding towns that couldn't afford to go home. There was a news story about a young couple in an old Bronco that didn't have the funds to make it home...she was pregnant and they had two little dogs with them. I was all ready to head down to the shelter to help them out, but they said at the end of the clip that they received help and would be heading home. Those stories break my heart everytime.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Just a guess, but watch you won't see many folks heading out of town this time.
Even our DA Mayor said it on tv yesterday........don't know HOW MANY we will be able to get to leave a week later.....hope theres not another disaster because of it [-o| [-o|

Thanks Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I can imagine it is very difficult to pay for another weeks worth of restuarants and hotels for the majority of us. I hope the city steps in and helps some how, If it does it New Orleans it will be another Katrina but on a larger scale. I hope your dh is starting to think about relocating. Hopefully you will get out when the getting is good and not be trapped there if Ike hits.

David
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Nita, I don't know about you but all I can think is Tx, Tx, PLEASE go to Tx :cry: I hate to wish bad things on Tx because I have family in Dallas and friends in Houston and of course Jerryo is there too, BUT we just can't do another storm a week later :cry: :cry: It almost looks like it might....... who knows though........wish it would just fizzle out after Cuba....guess it could be worse those poor people in Cuba and the ones in Haiti had to walk out with what they could carry :cry: And go where???? Heartbreaking what Hurricanes do to the poor people of those islands.
David, I swear I don't think my dh is going to go anywhere and we will stay here until a Hurricane washes us out of here :twisted: Not sure of what I will do but probably am just giving my brain a rest by saying I'm stayin' here :roll: Because when it comes down to it .......I still have my stuff in the SUV LOL!!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Vicky,

Isn't is amazing the NHC knew for over a week where Gustav was going to land and now they don't have a clue where Ike will end up? I guess we will have to wait until the wee hours of Wednesday morning to decide if we can go to Michigan. I told my niece not to plan a wedding during hurricane season but she didn't believe it would affect her date! Ha! Now she may not get to serve her northern friends jambalaya and seafood gumbo. Oh well, as long as the house stays standing and the generator can keep the freezer running we'll be eating good sometime in the near future! Might have to feed those electric linemen when they have to come back for the second time in a week!

I hope Ike gets the stuffing knocked out of him while over Cuba and then takes a hard left into some uninhabited part of Mexico. If it keeps going west you may still have that water problem for your area. Please don't take any chances!

Nita
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Nita, I guess it will depend on HOW it goes over Cuba and where in the Gulf it comes out....LOL!!! They didn't expect Gustav to cross OVER Cuba like it did.....or come in at the angle it did because of crossing over Cuba....and I have to add it saved our butts because of it \:D/
Yes, I hate to take chances with kids so will have to make a judgement call on Tues or Wed. Thinking about heading to Jackson this time to be closer.....maybe I will call and make reservations tomorrow just to be on the safe side. 3 hrs is better than 10 :roll: Hopefully you can still make the wedding......make plans and see what happens this time of yr huh??? :roll: Maybe we will have to stop in for some Gumbo on our way to Jackson. Might get your lights turned on FIRST if you feed em some gumbo while they work :idea:
Mexico sounds GREAT to me too!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Vikkie and Nita, so pleased to hear that your familys are O.K. Do hope the next one goes back into the ocean, I have been so tied up with my own problems, that I did not see this post until now.
Praying for you all in the hurricane area, and hope you all keep safe.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Vicky,

Tell Keith he needs to get you a small light-weight camper to evacuate with. Campgrounds are much cheaper than hotels and they are fairly safe for the kids to play in. Plus most will accept the furkids if kept on leashes.

Each update has Ike gradually heading more to the west. Lord knows I feel sorry for whoever gets him! I just hope he does like Gustav and fails to rebuild strength after getting into the Gulf. Not that Gustav was harmless by any means! At least he wasn't as bad as predicted.

Nita
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Ya know thats funny Nita. I told Keith when we were packing up for Gustav that I wished we had a camper, would make life MUCH MUCH easier and cheaper too besides it holds more stuff and less family :lol: :lol:
Yes, its seems (at the moment anyway) that Ike's going more west.....don't TRUST those darned things :twisted: .....I agree with you though....hope it doesn't rebuild strength, but seems it has enough of itself over water at the moment to not loose its strength as easy....I too just get heartsick when I see one headed in ANY direction as I know how it feels and know whats gonna happen :cry: And I also know, it could just as easy turn, and head our way again :cry: Haven't heard about the other one, behind it, did it fizzle out??? God I hope this is it for this Hurricane Season, don't you?? I've had enough......
I was just thinking about going and taking EVERYTHING out of the SUV.....can't find ANYTHING??? Know its out there...BUT where??? Can't find the kids school uniforms, shampoo & conditoner (huge bottles too) thought we would need it, don't remember which vehicle but KNOW I put it in the car LOL!!! Didn't need it and didn't take it out LOL!!! Need to find the car note put it in there SOMEWHERE but can't find it either.....Oh, I hate being disorganized :roll: And ALL UNDONE, ya know :wall:

Thanks Sweetpea!
momtobear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by momtobear »

I predict that it is going to make landfall at texas. How is with me? :D Vicky I would offer to let you stay with my family but the house is really very small 3/1. I don't know if we could fit everybody in here. /:) But if you do come up to jackson I would love to meet you and your family. [:D]
Baby Bear we miss you!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

If it goes to Tx I get to stay home LOL!!! Hope your are good at predictin' [-o| If not I would love to meet you too since we will be bored out of our minds anyway, nothing to do BUT wait..... Your a sweetheart for even thinkin' of us stayin' with you but we would NEVER impose on anyone since we usually aren't the best company when on the run :shock: Not sure what we are doin' have to ask the weatherman on Wed. :roll: but if we head up to Jackson we will let you know....maybe we can do a Chowie Play Day :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
momtobear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by momtobear »

That would be wonderfull :P I haven't played with a chow since bear died. It seems like years and hours at the same time. It would be heaven to touch a furry chow again. :x
Baby Bear we miss you!