What a weekend!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

chris

What a weekend!

Post by chris »

It has been a bitter sweet weekend.
As some of you know, my bf (now husband :-) ) dad is dieing of lung cancer. That is why I was unable to come to chow fest this year.
Anyway... Saturday they had a Knapp family reunion at DH's parents house. (kinda, last time to see his dad Phil). So there I sit in the kitchen eating some chicken. I notice that everyone is coming into the house and going into the living room and I think to myself... why is everyone coming in side... is someone going to be opening presents or something? Is it getting to hot outside? ... so I continue eating my chicken. DH walks in and pulls me out of the chair and walks me towards the living room.. his mom is standing there kinda crying so I think Im supposed to be consoling her.. then she spins me around and DH is down on one knee, holding out a ring, teary eyed and asks me to marry him... of course I start crying ... bla bla bla.. then i say.. hmmm let me think.. OF COURSE I WILL... and he puts the ring on my finger. (this was all done wright in front of phil as he sat in his chair. He smiled and clapped :-) )
THEN, we got married "spiritualy" on Monday in the bedroom where Phil was laying down. (we had hospice out and he was in a hospital bed in the bedroom, he was not strong enough to make it outside) So, our paster married us in front of his dad. It was FUN believe it or not. DH is so funny. After we exchanged rings he asked if he could kiss me yet... LOL.... we laughed and said no. THEN, after he was done saying his vow's he says "beautiful" (its his word... he says that when he finnishes something or accomplished something... kinda like his word for "awsome". ) so I said "Paster didn't say that"... we all laughed.... so then it was my turn and I was repeating the vows and paster goes "beautiful" so I say "beautiful" at the end... hehehhe.. we all laugh. DH was teary eyed the whole time, and I tried not to be. Now how hard is that NOT to cry when you see a man cry... it kills me. but it was so fun! The nurse said that Phil had a mental list of things he needed to do before he died, and seeing DH and I get married was the last thing on the list.
He is still hanging on, and as of this morning is in Hospice care at the hospital. We couldn't do it any more at the house, no one was sleeping and he needed constant care. THIS is so much easier and more comfortable for Phil as well. He is now on a Morph drip and hopefully out of pain now. We will miss him, and when we get "legaly" married on 12/12/08 I will have a memorial for him near the alter. A picture of him in his dress thingys (I forget what they are called.. he was in the military for 20 years) with a candle next to it! :-)

So now, Steelo boy and Chief and Roxi are "siblings" now. :-)

Picutres to follow...

"Chow for now" :-) Chris
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What a weekend!

Post by CoraP. »

I'm sorry to hear about Phil. I'm sure you made him very happy though with the ceremony.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

While I am still trying to figure out what "we got married "spiritually" " Means, they just released to new Lung Cancer vaccine its not a cure but supposedly will prolong life for another 6 months to a year. If he is in a VA hospital I doubt they know about it yet.

Is married "spiritually" like doin-it and he pays the bills, I can't find it in the Koran or the bible, it doesn't seem like its something that would go over to well with the Catholics..... Oh wait I found it, Its called "shacking up", I get it now but more in a biblical way.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awww that is wonderful Chris. Congratulations to you both! =D=
I am sorry about your DH's dad though. I lost my mom suddenly a few years ago and losing a parent is very difficult. Please give hubby my thoughts and prayers.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

What a wonderful gift to give to your DH's dad. I hope you have many, many happy years together...you deserve it!! =D= =D=
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I am sure that made Phil very happy. Congrats!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Congratulations, Chris and (let me be the first) DH!
I'm glad Phil could share in your happiness and get his wish.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Congrats Chris! That's 'beautiful' news :wink: :lol:

So sorry to hear about your FIL though. Hugs to everyone concerned.
Thank you Elodie!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I don't know what to say first. Congratulations on your spiritual marriage and upcoming official (statutory) nuptials. I am sure it helped your father in law find peace. I am sorry to hear about his illiness but glad to hear he is having hospice care. They will help him to die with dignity. You and all your family are in my prayers.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Aw Chris congrats! It's just so nice to see you so happy.

I'm really sorry about your father in law. What a wonderful thing for him to witness though. Hugs to you!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks Guys! :-)

Jeff, a spiritual marriage is just as it says... spiritual, there isn't any paper work and I don't have to go get my licence changed and all that. In December when we get married Legaly I will have to then. If you think about it... back in the day there wasn't any "paper work" or legality about it. You were married in the eyes of GOD and that was that.
We were already "shacken up" ;-) ... LOL
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

hey girl!! wow you just made me cry biache. what a story. i am so happy for you, and also sorry to hear about ur fil. i hope they can make him as comfortable as possible, boy that sucks big time.
anyway, on a lighter note, now its like the brady bunch in ur house huh???? except no alice.lol.
here's a story of a man named brady.....................
all the best to you, and i'll keep ur fil on our prayers.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
chris

Post by chris »

well, Phil, Michael (DH)'s dad passed on today. There is saddness, yet reliefe at the same time. At least he isn't going through all of this anymore. We teased his Mom, we told her she married an italian stallon because he fought it all the way to the end. Thats the part that kills me. At first he was like "Im done." but when it came down to it... he fought it. I was not there, but Michael was and said it was hard. :-(

Thanks for everyones well wishes and prayers.. :-) for both our marriage and for Michaels Dad.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

So sorry! Please give Michael my condolences.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Chris, Congratulations on the marriage, my deepest sympathies for the loss of your father in law
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

My condolences to you and your families.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Chris I'm so glad you got to know your father-in-law.......I lost my Dad 2 months before my dh and I got married and I would have given anything for him to have been there. My deepest sympathies to your DH and his family

Thanks Sweetpea!
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

all my sympathy to you and your family chris.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image