Palace Garden Party!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Palace Garden Party!

Post by Judy Fox »

Yey!! We have received an invitation to a Garden Party at Buckingham Palace next month.
Fred is miffed 'cos Milly and Mabel are not included. :roll:
I did point out to him that they had already been!! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Palace Garden Party!

Post by ciaobella »

I'm sure it's just a simple clerical error, Judy. Surely they meant Millie and Mabel are welcome to bring you along with them.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am sure that is how they would see it - I mean for what other reason do we need their leads when they take us for a walk other than so that they can keep an eye on us and make sure we don't wander off!! :roll:
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Surely leaving Millie & Mable off was just an oversight.....better polish their Terria's, Judy :wink:
I hope you & Fred have a Wonderful Time :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

How cool it that - tea with the Queen! Her Maj doesn't want M&M to shoe her corgies up that's why she neglected them :wink:
Thank you Sweatpea
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Oh, oh!! How exciting!!! \:D/ =D= \:D/ You'll have such a fun time!!
As for M & M, it's best to keep them away. I hear there might be a little mouse under the queens chair :mrgreen:
Or have the puddy cat frightened it away, I wonder :-/
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Judy how exciting!! I hope you have a great time! Will you be allowed to take pictures?
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes - the letter enclosed with the invitation says cameras are allowed ".....................but are only to be used with discretion. Photography inside The Palace and of the Palace outside is NOT permitted."

So I will take my camera and take some photos - I will act with descretion and I won't take any pictures inside! :D

The information sent indicates that the Band of The Irish Guards will "Beat Retreat" towards the end of the afternoon - Fred is looking forward to that - he would have preferred the Grenadier Guards Band as his brother was a Grenadier but the Irish Guards are fine! I wound him up by saying I would have preferred the Welsh Guards! :D
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

How exciting!! I'm sure the Queen left M&M out of the invite because she didn't want them to steal the limelight as we know they would. That Queen mum is a smart lady.
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

remind the girls M&M that Chows are well known as the Emperor of Dogs thus they would be Empress's .. and thus might well be offended by an invitation at the pleasure of the Queen .. sad to say the Days of Empire are waning or waned

this looks like quite the Honor .. i feel special just to know some one who gets an invitation and and thrilled to see the Invitation and hear about such a Stirring tribute to those who served faithfully and well/

i wish that when i am done with my service to country [soon] that i should get such rememberance but i fear not ..
I notice that you will be 'in the presence of" Princess Royal" may i be so bold as to inquire which princess.. we in the former colonies are thrilled and mystified by royality..

our girl .. Paris Hilton likes to think she is the closest we have to royality however the consensus seems to be she is merely a very rich spoiled child..
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

It is a privilege to be invited Michael and we are delighted.

The Princess Royal is Princess Anne, the only daughter and second child of The Queen and Prince Philip. She is a character and is the hardest working of all the Royal Family - a credit to her family. She is an excellent horsewoman and won medals for us at the Olympic Games - I cannot remember which year. Her daughter Zara Phillips was to have ridden in the coming Olympics in China but unfortunately she cannot now as her horse 'Toytown' was injured a few weeks ago during training - this is a great disappointment.

Milly and Mabel are not bothered about going - they consider the yapping of the royal corgis a big annoying!! :lol:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Well, we have been to the Palace Garden Party and we had a wonderful time. The weather was beautiful. There was a lovely breeze blowing in the gardens behind the Palace and the food was delicious. We had afternoon tea which consisted of cucumber sandwiches, egg and cress sandwiched, a selection of small cakes, scones jam and cream and followed up by strawberries and cream - with of course excellent cups of tea.
The Band of the Irish Guards played all afternoon and at the end of the afternoon they Beat Retreat which was excellent.
Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal was there and she looked lovely and took her time to talk to disabled servicemen. We did not speak to her but we saw her and in fact, when she arrived at the Palace we were waiting to go through to the garden and her car stopped right by us. When she got out of her car, Fred raised his hat to her and she smiled broadly and waved to us.
We thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon and when we left the Palace, our son was waiting for us outside. We walked with him to Victoria Station where we went into a pub and Fred and Anthony had a couple of pints of best bitter and I had half a pint. It was so cool and refreshing. He then went on his way home and we took the underground to Euston Station where we were delighted to find a train for Crewe to leave in 8 minutes so we went to the platform, got on the train, found a couple of seats and sat down - arrived in Crewe just under two hours later and were so glad to be home.
We let M & M out to spend a penny then we had a cup of tea and some toast and then went to bed.
Here are some photos - hope you enjoy looking at them.
The Union Flag was flying on the Palace because the Queen was not at home - when the Princess Royal arrived her Standard was hoisted.
A view of the rear of the palace from the gardens.
The Guards on Sentry duty.
Police searching the cars before they were allowed through the Palace gates.
Fred with our tea.
Fred waiting for his strawberries and cream..............
............and me enjoying mine!
then we walked down to see the lake which was beautiful.
View from the lake.
The Princess Royal - Princess Anne talking to the disabled servicemen.
............and the Band played tirelessly all afternoon, bless them.
and we all listened and appreciated their playing.
Finally, we met two others who used to be Royal Military Policemen! They were all pleased to see each other as other regiments are not overly friendly with them. The gentleman in the Scarlet Coat is an In Pensioner at The Royal Hospital Chelsea and had been invited over for the afternoon.
Last edited by Judy Fox on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

Very Nice

I see that both you and HRH both chose blue for the day..

it is just as well M&M did not go , i fear a terrible scene when the duck were sighted..

it seems they will seperate me after 28 years of service, i had wanted to do 30 years and go away with decorum at 62 , however they wanted me to go t a VERY HOT palace for my last bit of time..

i doubt the US thinks enough of its Civil Service to ever invite me to anything...
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

OH Judy What BEAUTIFUL PICS!!!! And I loved the play by play of your pics!!!!I sooooo enjoyed you Palace Garden Party!!! Never have seen pics of the back of the Palace. :D :D What a BEAUTIFUL DAY and everyone looked so handsome and lovely in their Sunday Best with hats too :D :D
SOOOOOO Interesting for those of us who have never been to England and would love to one day :D :D Thank You for sharing your very special day with us :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Wow! Those are wonderful photos! I just can't imagine being invited to a royal tea party like that...what an honor. You looked lovely and Fred was dapper as usual. I regret during my 20 years in the military I never made it to England. Thank you for sharing your photos with us.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Thank you for the wonderful pictures! They were very interesting. It looks like a great day!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

What lovely piccies, oooh! I could just taste the strawberries and cream. Cream isn't quite the same here, I did manage to buy a little pot of English double devon cream from safeway - just need to make the scones now :lol:

You and Fred looked like you had a lovely time!
Thank you Sweatpea
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Oh Judy thanks so much for sharing. I would so love to visit England and the pics are just great!
Out of curiosity have you ever been to the states? I often wonder if people in other countries are anxious to visit here as I am anxious to visit other countries. It is darn near impossible to get hubby to leave this state much less go England though! :evil: Vicki will you go with me? :lol:
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

Judy those pictures are lovely.
I mean to go back to England, I was there in high school and really was not up on the history and the culture.

I agree about the cream. It's not the same here in the States.

Paulette
Natasha
and
Cue
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Judy,

How wonderful. I You and Fred looked like you had a nice time. I am sure Princess Anne was quite put off that Millie and Mabel weren't there. I am sure they will receive a letter shortly in the post apologizing for the huge error.

David