Mr. N is banned from vet

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Mr. N is banned from vet

Post by kingalls »

Humph! Mr. Nahkohe had been shaking his head a couple of days so he went to the vets today. Knowing the vet would need to check his ear, I suggested a muzzle which I put on him. While in the room, I also managed to lift his 60 pounds up on the table...not easy but I figured better me then the vet or technican...He has a bacterial infection and needed to be sedated to have his ears flushed out. I barely got home when the vet office called & asked permission to administer his rabies & other shots now then later. I was asked to get Mr. N out of the kennel versus the technican. After putting him up in the car I was told that the vet wanted to talk to me. Apparently, Mr. N was quite aggressive with the vet when being put up in the kennel. So I was told that they could not work with him anymore. I asked for his recommendation since Mr. N would probably be the same with another vet and technican. So the vet compromised...next visit means I need to sedate Mr. N, bring him in with a Halti collar, and/or a choke chain. He also suggested obedience class...
Egads...is this a wimpy vet? do I find another vet that has a little more compassion with a Chow that has a horrible ear infection, never been in a kennel and I'm nowhere in sight? We live in a small town and the vet options are minimal...i.e., we have 3 here in toiwn and this is #2 that I have elected to use. #1 is more of a horse doctor so that didn't work for me - he also had a bad experience with a Chow and has an attitude toward them....
Karen
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Oh poor Mr. N! If you get desperate, come up my way and I'll introduce you to Zhu and PB's vet. They have a small, very non-discript office. Not alot of fancy-schmanzy stuff, but they've taken good care of all 7 of our family chows.

Poor Mr. N! What a day!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Sorry, but I have to laugh, Mr. N banned from the Vet and Pekoe banned from her first vet then got the honor of worst to ever visit her next vet. I know, lets take them both to the Vet at the same time.

I went through the same thing with Pekoes first vet, they were afraid to go near her she pulled off 3 different types of muzzles and had them pinned against the wall and had to call me for help so they refused to look at her any more unless I sedated her or gave her drugs to knock her out before I brought her in. Well that ended that, I refuse to sedate her. That brought me to DR Jackals at the Redwood Veterinary hospital, you called him once before, I know its probably to far for you to travel but I'm 500 miles from them but will take Pekoe to them for anything serious.

Pekoe somehow got 2 foxtails in her ear canel once so I took her to Redwood , DR. Jackals was busy in surgery so a female vet came in with 3 body guards took 2 steps towards Pekoe then said noway she has to be sedated, I said no way so she took Pekoe back to DR. Jackals in surgery and somehow he removed the foxtails with out sedation so as far as I'm concerned he's DR. Chow. He knows she won't go on the table so crawls on the floor to check her, I think Pekoe senses he's not afraid of her so she tolerates him, she still growls at him though but still lets him touch her.

Anyways I don't know what to tell you except move on to the next vet and tell him your against sedation or travel to Vallejo. I really think it all has to do with the Vets bedside manor plus Mr. N. and Pekoe knowing the Vets not afraid of them. they can pick up on just the slightest sense of fear coming from the Vet so will take full advantage of it.

None of this really helped you but just wanted you to know your not alone in your search for a Vet. Its not Mr N or Pekoe's fault that the Vets are all wimps.
Juniper

Chow Vets

Post by Juniper »

Hi Karen:

Luckily I found a vet right off the bat that was willing to check Sheena out. They weren't even going to put a muzzle on her but when I told them her story & that this is the first time to a vet as a stray - they took my suggestion and placed a muzzle on her.

How I found this vet was - I called the ASPCA and asked for low cost vets who they knew were real animal lovers and who they heard good things about. They recommended the vet I go to - a totally no frills place but at least they had a mechanical table where I could hold Sheena as it raised up. The vet had a teeny bit of fear since she was so grungy and filthy. But he really loved dogs and Sheena picked up on that.

You might also call rescue organizations in your area - they have got to have some referrals for decent vets who love any dog breed. It's unfortunate that you'll need to travel to obtain a good one. Maybe # 3 vet will be your vet and is the true dog lover!

Good luck on finding one - hope this helps.
kingalls

Next vet for Mr. Nahkohe

Post by kingalls »

Ha! Ha! Jeff - I thought that bringing our Chows (Yin/Yang) to a vet at the same time would be quite a show. Lou & Juniper - thanks for the advice...after thinking about it over the weekend...I've decided that I will give the vet office 1-2 more attempts as they have another two vets that might be more stalwart. I will not sedate Mr. N for his visits - how ridiculous!!! Mr. N just had his very sore & irritated ears examined by this vet and decided he didn't like being shoved into a kennel by him either. I'm hoping after having his ears flushed and his dosage of antibiotics and ear ointment, he will heal and not require another vet visit for another 3 years when his rabies shot is due. I must say it's quite funny to see how he is such a big baby about me trying to put ointment in his ears versus thinking how he had a male vet scared out of his wits to the point of refusing to treat him anymore.
I even think it's funny how the groomer who is a little person is less afraid to continue grooming Mr. Nahkohe....okay, I'm there the entire time but I give her more credit than the vet that panicked trying to put Mr. N in the kennel. :lol:

Karen
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You think the Vets and grommers are funny, Saturday night my wife and I went to a BBQ of a Friend married to a Marine. Now here's 6 Marines, all did 1 or 2 terms in Iraq, some own and train guard German Shepherds yet were scared to death to go near Pekoe or just stood still everytime she came near them. Everytime one of them had to pass Pekoe they would call me or my wife to help them walk by her even though Pekoe wasn't paying any attention to them. The wives and kids of the Marines had no problem with Pekoe she walked up to the kids and they all pet her and talked to her, actually it kind of shocked me to. Anyway good thing Sadam didn't know about this Chow thing or he might have added Chows to his weapons of mass distruction. I can hear it now, I'm not going into Baghdad there's a Chow Laying in the way.
SusanScales
Rank 0
Rank 0

Scared vet

Post by SusanScales »

Ha! I know exactly what you are talking about. I am fostering a chow/akita mix and she seems to have entropia. The first vet I took her to was cheaper than my regular vet and since she is a foster dog we were trying to save money. Of course I had only rescued her three days before so she was just starting to trust me and my husband. She growled one time at the vet and she wouldn't even come near her again. She told me I would have to reschedule and come back when she could be knocked out! I couldn't believe it. Chows aren't the usual goofy loving everybody dogs. Especially is something is hurting them they don't want to be messed with. In your case, I would consider going to another town. OF course, they did charge me the office visit. I know that no one likes to get bit but I would think a professional vet would have some kind of training to handle not so friendly dogs. I know if I don't feel the best, especially and ear infection, I want to be left alone. Our usual vet didn't give up on checking that eye and even put the first drops in. Some people just need to really consider their career choices. You have to care for all the animals not just the little cutsie ones!

Post by Guest »

I second that on no sedation Karen :D Need to find a vet who's a true dog lover - like SusanScales says not just for the little cutsie ones!
Angel Firedancer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Angel Firedancer »

<laughs> I'm sorry, but this made me think of my pup being banned from the vet...

Every time I took her in for her puppy shots, the vets on base would give me what would turn into an hour long lecture on how to care for a dog..,then more on how to care for a chow chow. When I'd try to leave, one or the other would grab my arm to keep me there to listen to what "I HAD TO HEAR!!!" even though none of them had previously owned chows.

One day, when both my pup and I were sick of it, I was trying to tell the vet that Shayleigh needed to go outside. She wasn't listening and kept standing in front of the exit door to make sure I listened to her lecture. Shayleigh walked around a few times...turned.. sniffed.. turned again... backed up.. and took the smelliest and messiest dump right on the vets shoes.

;) Needless to say, the vet let us go rather quickly after that and refused to treat my dog again.

I think thats the only time she ever got a treat after making a mess inside a building.