Seeking canine blood donors in Sacramento CA area!!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zhuyos mom

Seeking canine blood donors in Sacramento CA area!!

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Cross-posting:

03/24/2008

UC Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital has just started a new Animal Blood Bank and community-based canine blood donor program.

We are currently seeking donor dogs that live within 100 miles of zip code 95616 (Sacramento area), are 1-8 years old, 55+ pounds, current on flea/tick/heartworm preventative medications, and can never have been pregnant. We hope to screen 1200 dogs every 12 months in order to build a large donor program to aid all of the canine patients in the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital. Donating costs you nothing; all donation expenses with be paid by the hospital. All dogs that have the "universal blood donor" blood type and are currently enrolled in the program will receive $300 worth of blood testing each year... all for free!

We formerly had a system where the students get to have "pets" on campus (their own kennel of animals specifically for blood donations) and the animals pay their way by giving blood every few months, similiar to other veterinary schools. But have found that dogs that are kept with families tend to be much happier and healthier. We have now moved toward the community based system, much like human blood donation.

Please call 530-752-1393 for more information or to make an appointment (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings).

Save a life! Donate blood!

--The Blood Bank Team
UC Davis Animal Blood Bank
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Seeking canine blood donors in Sacramento CA area!!

Post by ciaobella »

How cool is that? And in addition to just doing it for altruistic reasons :
Zhuyos mom wrote:
All dogs that have the "universal blood donor" blood type and are currently enrolled in the program will receive $300 worth of blood testing each year... all for free!
that would be a pretty sweet deal for us health obsessive types.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: Seeking canine blood donors in Sacramento CA area!!

Post by Judy Fox »

Excellent.

...........and funny blood transfusions should be mentioned - over the Easter weekend, Isabelle was on duty and a dog was brought in who needed an emergency blood transfusion.

There was a problem in getting blood - I am not sure of the reason/reasons - but the duty vet brought his dog in and took blood from him/her to give to the poorly dog. =D=

I don't know why, but I have never thought of blood being donated by dogs. :?
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)