Best Way to Discipline Chow?

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

BasTheBlackMouthChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Best Way to Discipline Chow?

Post by BasTheBlackMouthChow »

Hey y'all. I have a 12 week (I think) chow mix named Sebastian who has been trying to be very dominant lately. I know how to discipline a dog, but I still want some more recommendations. What would you suggest for disciplining a chow?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
DoceOmar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: RE: Best Way to Discipline Chow?

Post by DoceOmar »

BasTheBlackMouthChow wrote:Hey y'all. I have a 12 week (I think) chow mix named Sebastian who has been trying to be very dominant lately. I know how to discipline a dog, but I still want some more recommendations. What would you suggest for disciplining a chow?

It's like any other dominant dog , just don't let him do whatever it wants and be very Straightforward when you gave an order.

Every day keep the dog in line while it's still a puppy don't let it bark/bite you, put your hand in it's plate and see how the dog react

Let him know that you are the master, after that it will be pretty easy to discipline it

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Best Way to Discipline Chow?

Post by Laura »

Positive reinforcement and positive training methods. No hitting, yelling, rolling, or other such nonsense. Build love and trust, not fear and dominance. There are plenty of positive training references on this site. Use the search function.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
BasTheBlackMouthChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BasTheBlackMouthChow »

Thank you! I didn't know some of this stuff. I'll make sure to put it to good use!

Sherry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sherry »

Hi there,

When I just got my chow, she was extremely dominant and didnt let anyone,except me touching her.
Almost every weekend, I bring her to pet friendly shops until she reaches 4 months, she had her puppy class ( socialization).
I kept bringing her to shops and dog park and now she is the most lovable dog.
At the dog park, she would go to every human and asked for scractches and cuddles.
At the shops, she lets anyone touching and kissing her.

She is 6 months now and she started her obeisance course last month and she is listening to all commands :)

Thank you.
Sherry
furball
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by furball »

We have tried a simple training during feed time before with a dog with dominance issues, seemed to help, here’s a link to it

http://www.dogforum.com.au/showthread.php?t=651

Could also tried a bit of crate training too, it might help indirectly. Just google and you should find lots of guides, but here’s one if you don’t want to search:

https://www.vebopet.com.au/dog-crate-training-guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max, Ritz, Shelly & Hunter