Say Hello to Cher <3

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

CherAndSaad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Say Hello to Cher <3

Post by CherAndSaad »

Hi there!

I had dreamed of owning and giving a forever home to a Chow for the longest time. I fell in love with the breed after I met my first one 6 years ago and have been fortunate enough to finally get one!

I have her on N&D Lamb, blueberries and pumpkin diet. I give her all kinds of lovely treats (salmon, liver, duck, broccoli, carrots etc). Human grade fish oil caps (same ones I take) every other day. Rice sometimes when I have some left overs. She loves it! I take her out on brisk walks 2-3 times a day (no more than 15 mins each time, though its very hard to get her back home as she always wants to stay outside and jump around in the snow more!). I intend brush and spray condition her coat twice a week. She is also starting puppy training and socializing classes next week. She will also attend day care once or twice a week to get her accustomed to other humans and environments. I have already trained her to walk with me on the leash and respond to verbal commands and gentle yanks on the leash to get her to change direction. She is starting to recognize her name.

She has the sweetest disposition! She loves other dogs, is very playful with other humans. I've been socializing her regularly.

Its only been less than a week but I am already in love with my little princess.

I have two questions for you guys:

1) Should I change anything about her diet/exercise/grooming?

2) I have started leaving her at home for a few hours each day (working less until she can be left alone for 9hours) and intend to start leaving her 9 hours from the week after next. She will spend 3 days on her own and 2 days at the doggy day care. Is this ok? Or is she too young to leave her on her own? I have set up her own room, with toys, treat dispensers, two way camera etc etc. I feel like she should be alright. When I left her today, I checked up on her regularly through the camera, and she was fine for the whole day apart from when I left when she was barking and crying.

~Saad
CherAndSaad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Say Hello to Cher <3

Post by CherAndSaad »

CherAndSaad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CherAndSaad »

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

She is so cute! Congrats! It's giving me puppy fever. :)
The only thing I would say is that if you plan on using a groomer in the future (I couldn't live without mine) I would get her used to it now. Mine go just for a bath, brushing/blow out, and nail clipping.
Just love her, socialize her, and only use positive training techniques and she'll be your best friend.
You may even find yourself wanting to get her a brother down the road. I always feel better when working long hours that my two have eachother.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)