Introducing my chow to my cat

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Leanne83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Introducing my chow to my cat

Post by Leanne83 »

Hi guys

I am a first time chow owner , and we have a 9 year old British blue cat too

, I've had dogs in the past but not chows
I've been doing my research thought before I got my chow
He's call Brucey he's 9 weeks and we have just got him
4 days ago and he litually toilet trained already we got him
From a very good breeder, he's the most chilled out puppy
I've had I'm thinking it's too good to be true lol
I just want to know if anyone has any tips for chow meeting
Cats , we put barrier up and set safe zone for cat (teddy ) and chow (bruce)
Is being so good so far , and just looking at the cat he just wants to play with him lol
But teddy unsure he keep going near him but only at a distance
There being no hissing which is good
But I notice today I know it's only being a few days but
Bruce growl a bit today so now he's unsure
I'm trying to work out what's best thing to do
As it's not just dog meeting cat it's chow meeting cat
And as you all chows are a different kind of dog
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Introducing my chow to my cat

Post by Cindy J »

I am curious to know how this goes. I gave up! My chows are downstairs and the cats upstairs. All three of my chows have been around cats from the time they were tiny puppies. All three would chase and kill the cats if they had the opportunity. (could be my bad methods) But my rottweiler is cool with the cats.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
KatlynSamsonsMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KatlynSamsonsMom »

I have a 7 month old male Chow. We introduced him to our 6 year old male Ragdoll cat right away (8 weeks) and have not had problems yet. My cat is very feisty and set the tone straight off that he is the boss and our chow seems to respect him so much so that he brings the cat his toys to play with. He is still a puppy but so far things have been great. When Samson (the chow) did seem to get a little snippy when trying to play we made sure to tell him no & diverted his attention.
mrgrtt123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mrgrtt123 »

I think it will be better if you create a boundary between this two, try to set-up wood pet gates for the meantime while they are still on the process of getting to know each other. Chow chow tends to be aloof and I care about your cat safety. It will definitely take time for them to be friends.
EastonTheChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EastonTheChow »

Seeking additional info on this topic. I am in the exact same situation as the original poster. My 9 week old chow is doing very well learning to resist the urge to charge the 8 year old cool cat (we praise him for sitting still). We have a gate with a cat door to the bedroom, where the Cat has been spending most of his time (upsetting, b/c the cat was happier roaming the entire house before this). At the end of our first week, the puppy did run up to the cat once or twice before the cat could dash away - nothing really happened, no sounds were even exchanged, the cat was about to swat him but instead dashed away to a table / the bedroom. He's declawed so it would have just been a boop on the head. We've given the cat treats (which we barely did b4 this) for staying mellow, and the pup treats/praise for staying calm. Any other address is appreciated!