Want Info on Smooth Coat Chows!

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

MorganOfTheFey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Want Info on Smooth Coat Chows!

Post by MorganOfTheFey »

I want to get a Chow Chow, but I'm having some trouble finding information on the smooth coat variety. I've seen lots of mentions that smooth coats are shorter and easier maintenance, but usually that's all any website says. Paragraphs of info on rough coats and how to groom them, and then one sentence at the end that smooth coats don't need as much. But what do they still need though??

How often do smooth coats need to be brushed?

How much do they shed?

Do they still lose their coats seasonally?

How hard is it to bathe them and dry them after?

Are smooth coats about as easy to groom / maintain as other dog coats or just easiER than rough coat chows?

How common are smooth coat chows?

Will I have to wait through several litters before a breeder produces a smooth coat?

Is there anything else I should know about the grooming / care / maintenance of a smooth coat chow?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers! :)
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Want Info on Smooth Coat Chows!

Post by JammyJoy »

How often do smooth coats need to be brushed?
- it depends on your dog. Factors that will affect how often grooming is required include what other people have mentioned: your pet's coat, allergies, environment.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Well, that is a lot of questions, but they all really go back to the same thing, so hear ya go...

How often they need to be brushed depends on environment more than anything. It is hot and humid, or cool? Is he playing in the mud? Whatever the answer there, I would plan on at least once a week. It helps promote healthy fur growth and stimulates the skin.

Yes, they do shed. Constantly. Not as much as Rough Coated Chows, but they do shed. Count on at least 1 round of puppy coat shed, perhaps it will take 2 times. Seasonal shed also. Regular bathing and brushing will help, but they will still shed for the weather.

Bathing depends on the actual dog. Some are easier than others. I would recommend starting as pups to get them used to it. My Smooth is very easy. Drying is much easier than a Rough. My two Roughs take about 3 hours apiece (with a commercial dryer) vs. about 45 minutes with my Smooth. Keep in mind that you want them completely dry. A damp coat leads to wet skin and hot spots.

Smooth Coated Chows are not as common as Roughs. They are very popular in Russia at the moment, so if you are looking to get a pup, that may be the best route. I would look on FB. There is a group dedicated to Smooth Chow Chows and folks tend to list what they have available. DO USE THAT AS A START SPOT AND DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE AGREEING TO PURCHASE ANY DOG. That being said, in the US, they are not as common. I Show my Dogs in AKC Events, and the results are harder to come by with a Smooth vs. a Rough. Judges just don't seem to get them.

They also do have a different personality. And I don't base that just on mine, I have seen a fair number. Chows have a stand-offish, almost cat-like reputation. Smooth Chows tend to be goofier. They aren't as aloof, and won't ignore you like a rough chow. No idea why.

As for waiting, it's hard to say. I wouldn't say its any different than waiting for a black chow vs a red or a cream out of a specific breeding. If there is any Smooth in the lineage, then it could happen.
MorganOfTheFey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MorganOfTheFey »

Rory's Dad, thank you for all that info! I have been planning for once a week, and of course more often if they get dirty and when they start shedding. Nice to know that was a good estimate! I believe I already have a breeder I'm interested in, but I'll check out what you mentioned on facebook. And thanks for the heads up on temperament! I've only heard that rough coat chows have a higher energy level, not that there's also a personality difference. Have you noticed that energy difference between the two?

Again, thank you for answering! :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I would say energy level is still individual. My Smooth is a rocket ship. He is constantly looking to go when he is getting attention, but relaxes quite a bit too. His father is a true floor mat.