Getting a new chow!! What size harness ect should I buy???

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

douxdoggys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Getting a new chow!! What size harness ect should I buy???

Post by douxdoggys »

Hey, Im picking up my puppy Junobear in july, and I dont know what size a chow chow puppy is, like what are the average measurements of a 2 month old chow chow pup? I want to have a harness ready for her, and a collar, but I have no clue what size harness to get, The breeder told me she will be around 10kgs , but she didnt tell me what size, if you have any clue what the measurements of a chow chow pup are please help me :) Also if you could link me to some good dog supply websites that are decent price's that would be helpful <3 :D

Pic of my baby below, and the litter and mama ( think shes about a week and a bit old )
Attachments
unnamed2.jpg
unnamed2.jpg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 6603 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (39.98 KiB) Viewed 6603 times
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Getting a new chow!! What size harness ect should I buy???

Post by JammyJoy »

The Chow Chow is a large, stocky dog. The two most distinctive features of the Chow Chow are its blue-black tongue and its almost straight hind legs, which makes it walk rather stilted. The head is large and broad with a flat skull. The muzzle is broad and deep. There is a huge ruff behind the head, which gives it a lion-like appearance. The black nose is large with well open nostrils. The teeth meet in a scissors bite. The small, erect ears are triangular in shape and round at the tip. The almond-shaped eyes are deep-set and dark in color. The chest is broad and deep. The tail is set high, carried very close to the back. Dewclaws are sometimes removed. The profuse, dense, furry coat comes in two varieties, smooth and rough. The most common colors are solid red, black, blue, cinnamon and cream, but it can also come in tan, gray, or a rare white. The coat sometimes has lighter or darker shades, but is never parti-colored. Which the measurement was Height: 18 - 22 inches (46 - 56 cm)Weight: 45 - 70 pounds (20 - 32 kg), alsoo you must try this website http://www.luckypet.com.au/dog-shop/food-treats.html their product was good.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Getting a new chow!! What size harness ect should I buy???

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sorry for the late response, I haven't been on in a bit.

Nice citation of the breed specifics, but that didn't come close to answering the question. Hopefully you know the description of the Chow breed at this point.

Some breeders will give you a bit of a going home package, with a collar, leash, and the pup food they have been using. If not, I would recommend a slip leash for now. They usually come in 6 ft lengths. Totally adjustable and saves you from buying a new collar every 2 weeks as they grow. Once you move to a permanent collar, you can still use the slip for grooming on a table if you wish. Easy to get on the dog and doesn't break the fur like a full time collar.