Meet Pumpkin

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

SeasideChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Meet Pumpkin

Post by SeasideChow »

Pumpkinxmascloseup.jpg
Pumpkinxmascloseup.jpg (101.7 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
I adopted Pumpkin on Halloween 2015 from a rescue foundation. She was captured running with another Chow (male) in a remote part of Tehama County, CA. I was told she was about 10 months old. She is slowly getting over being terrified, still very fearful. She has come out of her shell in our dog park, and loves to play. She is fanatic about squirrels.

I think there is hope for her, and our partnership. A dog trainer thought she might be pure Chow, but I did not until I happened across this web site. She is very much like others I have seen on this site.

I wonder if anyone has had a fearful Chow, and what steps, besides time, might best be taken?

Cheers,
Seaside Chow
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Meet Pumpkin

Post by ski »

Bless you for rescuing this girl! We have had three rescued chows. The first, Loki, my son found on the streets of New York. Sadly, we lost him in June after 11 wonderful years. Our other rescue, Frisco, is now .11 or 12. He came from an abusive situation and it took us almost two years to gain his trust. He was so frightened of everything. I couldn't use a vacuum or even a broom with making him frightened. We gave him lots of space and rewarded him for every little accomplishment. I think it helped that we had Loki at the time and they both bonded. Loki was clearly an alpha and Frisco a follower. Frisco has had a wonderful life and, in fact, we rescued another chow this summer. His name is Sargreant and he, too, was rescued from the streets. Your patience will be rewarded with a loyal, loving pet. We had other dogs before Loki but there is no other dog quite like a chow. Good luck!!!!!
SeasideChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SeasideChow »

Hi Ski - thanks for the encouraging words! I do so hope you are right, that two years is a benchmark! She makes tiny (giant!) strides every week, and I am lucky she is so young. our best wishes to Frisco and Sergeant!
Pumpkin, the Seaside Chow
Annabellam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Annabellam »

I have also always had rescues, i just think it's good to give them a chance, a new life and a home. With my last it came when it was much younger so i changed the name to give it a fresh start. When it first came in it would hide under the table and wouldnt come out until it was sure there was no one around. My husband and i gave it a special room with a comfy bed, toys and everything. Over time it got used to my family but would still be fearful around other dogs and people. A trainer helped much in changing his behaviour and he became more confident. Now also got another rescue it is not as badly off as the last but it is still going through training. Takes time but its worth it. Love is mostly what they need.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

thank you for adopting your beautiful girl : )
It took about two years for our shelter rescued chow chow to fully trust us. Poor dude had spent his first year in
the shelter, rescued as a pup from a back yard in winter with his mom tied to a tree.
We just had to give him space (don't push) and time (have patience) to settle into living in a home.
He gets walked every day but is still skittish out in the world, afraid of the sounds of children playing loudly, especially the sound of a basketball. We'll never know what came before......
Pumpkin will settle in, you'll see.