New puppy likes to play bite

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

zzMikiify
Rank 0
Rank 0

New puppy likes to play bite

Post by zzMikiify »

Hi! First time chow owner here!

My 2 mos old puppy likes to chew or nip everything he see moving. Our feet, slippers, long pants and hands everything! I tried the time out method where you'll yelp when he bites then if he bites again you'll leave him by himself in a puppy proof room. It worked before for few days but now he's back again and became a lot worse.. Help please
PrincessFox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New puppy likes to play bite

Post by PrincessFox »

My husband and I train pups, and usually that method works, but when it doesn't you need to up the anti. My chow puppy Jayce had the same issue, we had to Yelp in pain and say "ow" and then put him in his crate. Once he realized he got absolutely no play when he bit, he completely stopped. He now licks instead. He's 14 weeks now and hasn't had a nipping instance in 4 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KringlesDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KringlesDad »

Our Snickers does the same thing (he's 9 weeks old now). We do the high pitched yelp like when a dog feels pain. If that doesn't stop him he gets a time out in the crate. So far it's working. But with chow pups, they have a short memory. So you have to keep repeating but success will come with patience.
Gabriel1205
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gabriel1205 »

I also experience this when my puppy bandit came to our home. In the starting days bandit is suffering from chewing habit and I was worried because he chews everything then my friend Alex suggest me to buy a Chew Proof Dog Bed for him. I tried to find it on google and I came to a blog (https://chewproofdogsbed.com/) where I read a review about the chew-proof dog bed I bought a dog bed and train my puppy for it, with the passage of time bandit left his habit of chewing.
evee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by evee »

my dog also loves play bite. we bought him a toy and it works out for only a few days