New Puppy!

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

lrichwine
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Puppy!

Post by lrichwine »

I'm Laura and we've gotten an eight week old puppy - my first dog. :) Her dad is a Chow Chow and her mom is a Husky/Border Collie mix, but she's definitely taking after the Chow side. Her name is Winnie and she's doing great so far.

Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New Puppy!

Post by Brisco »

Winnie is very cute. Just remember that chows don't take really harsh discipline well. They will hold a grudge. Try to be firm but don't scare her accidentally by yelling too loud or smacking her. You do need to be firm but I try to just do enough to get the point across, they are very smart. I'm sure she'll be a great dog.
No matter where you go, there you are.
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

She's one cute mixed breed! Oh, I love staring at dog pictures. :x
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chunkymonkeys »

Welcome! Winnie has the best of both breeds in her! You're in for a great time with her :D
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Congratulations!!! She is beautiful....
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

She is adorable. That breed mix sounds like a handful! Since this is your first dog and the fact that chow chows are stubborn and independent and huskies and border collies need a purpose, you'll need a training style/plan that you and everyone in your home will get on board with. Good luck and have fun with your little sweetie!
kodnercasey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kodnercasey »

Laura, you have come to a great place for information. I am on my second Chow. I wish I had such breed specific info when I got the first Chow. Tempe is a rescue puppy and very different than a new adult family member. Luckily, she still takes treats (most of the time) as positive reinforcement. I feel like all she does is eat, but her mental growth in 9 weeks can almost be measured equally to her 15 lbs of body growth :wink: Like having a new baby, you will be very busy mentally and physically each day. Then you need to go to sleep and start all over again the next day! Don't be afraid to get help from a trainer now if you need it. A well balanced Chow will be a breeze to care for for the next 15 yrs. Welcome aboard!