Introducing Mia

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

griddez15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Introducing Mia

Post by griddez15 »

Hi everybody,

I've had Ms.Mia for about a week now. 10 weeks old! I'm fairly new to the chow world, in fact dog world, so I wanted to run her day by you guys and see if there are any changes I should be making that are essential to her growth. She eats three times a day. 7:30am, 12:45pm and 7:30pm. She eats in the am and goes back to sleep. She'll officially be up by 10:30ish wanting to play, which we do for about 15-30 minutes, she'll nap and than eat lunch. We started making playtime in the living room which she goes crazy in like run and jump on her bed, or grab her toy and chew it all up. Once she calms down we put her back in her playpen and she'll nap. Wake up for dinner, play and than she's out for the night. She's great with the potty pad and sleeps through the night, waking up once or twice but no wimpering or barking, which is great. Some of her play time includes getting down some commands...she has the "sit" one down to the T. She officially starts puppy tranin classes at the local pet smart on Wednesday. Id appreciate the feedback on any changes or additions I should make to her day to day activities.

Thanks everybody!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Introducing Mia

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sounds like things are going well. Good for you to start teaching her the basics already.

Chow owners are fond of the term "zoomies" to describe that energy burst. It is truly fun to watch. It will continue for a while, so you can choose how to deal with them. You can move furniture to give them a bit more running room, or center the items and make it more of an obstacle course. Better to have an area where she can gain a bit of traction though, because slipped steps can lead to a ligament or knee slip. Those can be bad. She needs those runs for exercise though, so its an odd choice. We don't want to encourage lazy chows. They don't need a ton of exercise, but they do need some.
griddez15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Introducing Mia

Post by griddez15 »

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback!