arghhhhhhhh!

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jazzyukuk
Rank 0
Rank 0

arghhhhhhhh!

Post by Jazzyukuk »

hi there we are new to owning chows and have 2 almost 4 month old pups, they are coming along great but..... i dunno what it is when they are in the house on non carpet floors they don't pee but when they step on the carpet its like they have to pee anyone else have this problem?
thanks hayley
m_saade
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: arghhhhhhhh!

Post by m_saade »

This is so funny since ive been through this last winter...

It starts with a pee per day.. and then the carpets will become their preferred peeing place, and later pooping place....

I do not know if this is feasible for you at this moment, but i suggest one of two things:

1- Confine the dogs whithin non carpeted areas until they are completely housetrained.
2- Remove the carpets and let them roam free until completely housetrained.

Cleaning carpets from the pee smell feels somewhat impossible.
Even if we cannot sense any smell, they still can, and i had the urge to burn all my carpets to get rid of this disaster....

I really really really recommend removing all carpets before they are marked by pee beyond repair :)

And to explain why they do it,

Carpets look like dirt and grass to them, and this is where they prefer to do it.
And if by mistake one of them did it the 1st time, the smell wil encourage them to do it over and over again.
No matter how hard you try to clean, or what vacuum cleaners or shampooers or smell neutralizers you use, they will keep doing it until they are house trained. And it will get worse by the hour.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree with Saade. Almost impossible to clean the carpets completely. I replaced the entire 1st floor with hardwood and restrict the dogs from the 2nd floor.

Unless you keep them out of the carpeted areas, it will likely continue. Once the scent is in the carpet, they view it as the spot. It does seem that carpet is viewed as grass and they will think it's ok.
Jazzyukuk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jazzyukuk »

thanks both, only got carpet in the hall and upstairs (which they don't go upstairs) and a rug in the living room. took up the rug and have gated off the hallway. ok so my peeing on carpet theory just got blown out of the water, koda came in and peed all over the floor. we have been advised to keep them confined to their crates when un-atended and let them out every hour or so for a pee. and see if that makes a difference and they learn that they go pee outside, only problem im having now is kya will pee when i call her or if i pull her by her collar to take her outside :(
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

OK...so 2 dogs almost 4 months old.

Crating and letting them out every hour is not very reasonable, and is almost impossible on most peoples schedule.

If you are OK with crate training, then I would suggest that they be crated when they are not attended and then perhaps a 3 hour schedule. Add an hour for each month that they age. But...Chows are incredible when it comes to 'waiting'. Once properly trained, I have had at least 4 chows that could 'wait' days if the weather outside isn't to their liking.

Carpets and area rugs aside, because its very difficult to remove the odor once an accident has occurred, chows are naturally very clean dogs. They need to associate the home (or the areas that they have regular access to) as THEIR home. They will not want to soil their living space (that is the theory behind the crate training). At 4 months you shouldn't have a marking situation (totally different issue).

With Kya, that sounds like it may be a nervous problem, so I would work to reassure her when you call her or grab her collar. Establish a regular routine that is not stressful. Get her used to going out immediately after eating. For the short term, you may even want to put her food bowl right next to the door to make it easier. Open the door just before she is done eating and then make the transition. She will learn to associate the two.

With multiple dog homes, I usually would recommend alternating tasks to avoid showing favoritism and establishing a beta dog, but in this case it might make more sense to get her out first until she understands it and is used to a routine.
chowchowmomma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowchowmomma »

I suggest trying pee pee pads. My 2 chow chows will only go on the pee pee pad if they have an accident. And mine are also 4 months old. Trust me the pads will save you a lot of aggravation and clean up time on your carpet!